Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993's in the winter -help

LSDFJ00

Trainee
Oh the joys/woes of using your 993 in inclement weather...

I had occasion today to take the 993 on a motorway trip to get some service work done. Bad weather all the way, you name it...salt, sleet etc. It rarely ventures outdoors during the winter, but needs must.
Anyhap, to cut a long story short...how do my learned friends on here cope with the awful front/rear screen water ingress beneath the poorly sealing rubber seals??
I've not had any bubbles appearing in the scuttle paintwork, probably because of my lack of winter use. But, however, I am concerned that every time the car does get wet, I lift the rear seal (can't get the front one off for love nor money) and it's full of water!
I have waxoiled it in the past, but still can't get used to the fact it just fills the channels either side with water at the slightest bloody excuse!

What are your experiences?

If your glass is properly fitted, and the metalwork is in good order - you shouldn't get any water ingress to the inside - so I presume you're talking about water holding behind the seal trim?

I call it the seal trim because that is all it is.
The screen should be bonded to the bodywork, and there is a plastic channel bonded to the outside of the screen that the trim presses in to, and this covers the aperture.
If water does sit in there and everything else is good - its not a big issue. It won't hold a lot, and will dry out of its own accord.
I have heard of some that fill it with 'stuff' - but don't know what :?:

I find a little water under the seals, but like you, no rust or bubbling. If I've been out in the rain, or even after a wash, I use a paper towel to soak the water from the corners of the front and rear windscreens.

Once you get it back under cover wait a few hours for the water to drain to the low points on the seals, I then use a compressor and blow gun, gently lift the seal and blast/dry the trapped water out, rather tedious but a good solution, you need to check again a day or so later just to be sure

I've been renovating an old building and I've learnt a lot about "trapped" water and the problems it causes

Kenair system is an expensive alternative.......... the little probe with the rounded tip gets under the seal.

https://keyphoto.com/Kenro-Master-Kit-Clean-Air-360ml

I read somewhere about a 993 owner in the US who uses a hairdryer to dry under the window rubbers EVERY time he washes his car. Not me I just drive mine.

Sorted the rear screen on mine this summer due to corrosion (wasn't as bad as I expected once the glass came out). The plastic clip holding in the rubber seal had broken which resulted in water collecting. For fear of damaging the plastic clip (which means a new screen), I just leave my seals well alone and live with it...[/img]

Attachments

• vhyo4984_117.jpg
    vhyo4984_117.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 2,997
As AndyS said, these are not seals, they are trim finishers, they are not watertight and not designed to be. Porsche have a technical bulletin on filling up the gap with Bostik, google should find it.

Thank you to all that replied.
Yes, it's the channel between where the trim strip slots in and the edge of the bodywork. (rear screen).
Drying the rear screen channel is not too difficult but how the hell does anyone get beneath the tightly fitted front screen trim to check if there is water present ??

LSDFJ00 said:
Drying the rear screen channel is not too difficult but how the hell does anyone get beneath the tightly fitted front screen trim to check if there is water present ??

Personally, I don't bother. Like i said earlier, there would only be a little in there anyway - and if the paint is good, it won't be an issue.
Mine also has a little 'Ice Wax" behind there - stops any creaking and displaces water which should really protect the metal too
A bit of water on its own isn't going to rot your 993.

However, if behind the seal the paint is worn - and the galvanisation is scratched through to bare metal - then the tin worm can start.
So - if the screen is properly fitted and doesn't move, the paint wont wear through exposing the galvanisation so it should be fine. :thumbs:
You could also try to find the Tech Bulleten that Porsche published to get the material they recommend to fill the gap?

Cheers for that Wilsonny...Have you done your screens ?
Have others on here done this procedure to blank off their windscreen apertures?

LSDFJ00 said:
Cheers for that Wilsonny...Have you done your screens ?
Have others on here done this procedure to blank off their windscreen apertures?

I've done the front. i don't know if it does any good, but I was replacing the outer cover. it hasnt stopped a bit of water still collecting in the corners. as others say, that outer cover isn't a seal.

Gwsinc

Do you lift the front rubber screen trim to apply your paper towel ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back