Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

More sidewall on the 17's or change to 18's

andyobro

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi All,

I'm mid debate with myself on tires and wheels. Currently running Cup 2's with Standard size PS2 Tires. Its time to replace the tires. Want to go PS4, not worried about N coding. I guess I'm using this to collect all the info and to soundboard anyone who had considered the same.

Cup 2's always look too narrow on the 993, so thinking about options, I currently have 5mm spacers on the front to bring the fronts out a little, considering going more on the front and using the 5's on the back.

I could go 18's, maybe OZ alleggerita as they look good, are light, easy to clean and fairly inexpensive.

Tires for those are.... (prices from Camskill)

225/40R18 (92Y) XL TL Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4 (Dia 637) £93
265/35R18 (97Y) XL TL Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4 (Dia 643) £153

However I do like my Cup 2 in style, so thinking of sticking with them and changing tire size to get more side wall, I like side wall, both in look, comfort/handling and wheel protection, would also bring the tire out a little maybe....hmmmm.

Standard tire sizes for the front are

205/50R17 (89Y) (N3) TL Michelin Pilot Sport 2 PS2 (Dia 637) £108

Thinking about changing to...

205/50R17 (93Y) XL TL Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4 (Dia 637) £96 standard size
or non standard sizes
225/45R17 (91Y) TL Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4 (Dia 635) £78
or
225/50R17 (98Y) XL TL Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4 (Dia 657) £103
or
215/50R17 (95Y) XL TL Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4 (Dia 647) £107

The front 225/45's seem to be a regular change that I have seen in many places, just a slight reduction in Diameter over standard.

Standard tire sizes for the rear are

255/40R17 (94Y) (N3) TL Michelin Pilot Sport 2 PS2 (Dia 636) £155

Possible for the rear, but can't seem to find anything about changing rear sizes in all the usual gassing spots.

255/40R17 (98Y) XL TL Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4 (Dia 636) £140 standard size.
or non standard.
255/45R17 (98Y) TL Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4 (Dia 661)

I'm kind of liking the idea of the 225/50's and the 255/45's and both a step up in diameter 656 & 661 in a balanced way, but the fronts would be XL, rears not.

Has anyone done similar? Any views on how stupid I am? :lol:

Thanks Andy

in a similiar position debating what option to change on my 993 that i've just testing out a swap back to on 17's rather than 18's

note, i've Michelin Super Sports in 18's which was a special order, so no longer available but the SS are probably the finest tyres i've had on a 993 ever

but it's 17's now

on the 993, it's the rear which needs the grip, so youre XL front might not be the correct balance unless you hot rod the rears as well ? not anything I could recommend

Michelin PS2 N3 is still an equivalent to the overall PS4 standard from what I understand of the 4th update to the PS2 (N0, N1, N2, N3) but a softer compound (wear rating on 220 v 320).

but did you know the Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R is able as a N rated choice in the 17 and 18" options

I would say try 18's if you haven't as the extra grip is a measurable improvement

last update for the 993 N rated tyre as below

Attachments

• 2019_12_11_17_34_34_706.jpg
    2019_12_11_17_34_34_706.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 3,168
You can get the Michelin SS sizes

225/40/18 (92Y)
275/35/18 (99Y)

so not the 265/35/18 on the rear so about a 1% difference but with a few mm gain in ride height

again no knowledge or results to speak of from these sizes

If you want more sidewall I would have thought a smaller 16 inch wheel would be the answer, maybe I am missing your point here.

andyobro said:
Thank you for all that info, very useful, I shall digest.

Defo don't want 16's, look like trolley wheels :)

I have 16's, 17's, and 18's for my 993.
This post got me thinking that in years to come people might like the 16's. A bit like they like the design 90's for the 964 now.

At one point a dealer told me to throw my design 90 wheels in a skip as nobody wanted them.

I have the Oz, and the reduction in un-sprung mass is trans-formative - makes the car a delight to drive. I've also got Cup 2s and Hollow spoke turbos. Can't see me changing back anytime this side of the Armageddon.

Windy101 said:
andyobro said:
Thank you for all that info, very useful, I shall digest.

Defo don't want 16's, look like trolley wheels :)

I have 16's, 17's, and 18's for my 993.
This post got me thinking that in years to come people might like the 16's. A bit like they like the design 90's for the 964 now.

At one point a dealer told me to throw my design 90 wheels in a skip as nobody wanted them.

I still think design 90's only look good on VW's :)

Tobesetc said:
I have the Oz, and the reduction in un-sprung mass is trans-formative - makes the car a delight to drive. I've also got Cup 2s and Hollow spoke turbos. Can't see me changing back anytime this side of the Armageddon.

Thats interesting to hear, here are my findings on weights so far. The OZ' look very tempting right now.

Cup 2's
7x17" 17.00kg with tires
9x17" 19.50kg with tires

Rep Cup 2's
8.5x18" 21.75kg with tires
10x18" 24.40kg with tires

OZ's
8.0J = 7.72Kg no tires
9.0J = 8.25Kg no tires
10J = 8.78Kg no tires
11J = 9.95Kg no tires

Gemballa Lemans
8x18 13kg no tires
10x1814kg no tires

Ah the old wheel weight debate... a smattering of internet warriors thinking that lighter wheels on a road car make such a huge difference...! Yes you might feel a slight difference from a lighter 17" wheel but most of that difference is from the increased sidewall depth of the tyre. Unless you're racing and weight is of prime concern it's all subjective.

I run 17" Cup 2's and 18" 3 Piece Speedlines, the Speedlines being a similar weight to Gemballa Le Mans for example. Look at 18" Ruf wheels, they're bloody boat anchors... probably the heaviest rim out there but Alois likes them because of their strength and capability on a road car.

If you must have a light 18" rim then the BBS MY02 is hard to beat on looks and for ease of cleaning. I buy rims for aesthetics as for me it's all about the look. :bandit:

My only advice is buy a quality wheel from a reputable manufacturer as I've witnessed and seen too may cracks, buckles & failures from poor quality reps.

C.

cableguy said:
Ah the old wheel weight debate... a smattering of internet warriors thinking that lighter wheels on a road car make such a huge difference...! Yes you might feel a slight difference from a lighter 17" wheel but most of that difference is from the increased sidewall depth of the tyre. Unless you're racing and weight is of prime concern it's all subjective.

I run 17" Cup 2's and 18" 3 Piece Speedlines, the Speedlines being a similar weight to Gemballa Le Mans for example. Look at 18" Ruf wheels, they're bloody boat anchors... probably the heaviest rim out there but Alois likes them because of their strength and capability on a road car.

If you must have a light 18" rim then the BBS MY02 is hard to beat on looks and for ease of cleaning. I buy rims for aesthetics as for me it's all about the look. :bandit:

My only advice is buy a quality wheel from a reputable manufacturer as I've witnessed and seen too may cracks, buckles & failures from poor quality reps.

C.

That makes for good reading, thanks Carl.

Look at the 993RS for example. Road cars were fitted with 18" Speedlines which are not particularly light, however they are strong and carry the race inspired advantage of being 3 Piece, so if a part is damaged then a new piece can be exchanged.
Now look at a 993RS Cup car produced for racing, they were fitted with magnesium centres to save weight, the fronts were 1/2" wider and the offsets were more aggressive to offer a wider contact patch.

Put a racing driver in a 993RS to complete a quick circuit lap on road going Speedlines and then with magnesium centred Speedlines which would be circa 3kg lighter per rim, and i'd guarantee there would only be a second or two difference on the same tyres. Now equate that to your average driver going for a spirited evening/weekend blat and the time difference shrinks.

Buy a quality wheel in the style you like and wrap them in some sticky rubber. :thumb:

C.

Hi

Personally I like the 17" Cups or Sports Classic wheels. Wanting to go to 18's I can fully understand, but I would not deviate from the standard offset. To my eye it just looks so wrong on the 993.

Berni

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatandywhite
Back