Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM1 (16 bit) with BOSE Replacement

dc2100k

Trainee
My car is specced with PCM1 (16 bit) with BOSE - this has the cassette in the dash, 6CD changer and BOSE amplifier in the boot and the single DIN navigation drive in the centre console. I believe this is a non-MOST system. It has door speakers and a subwoofer behind the rear seats. The 6CD changer is non-functional and the FM radio is limited (I'd like DAB for 6 Music), and I need some sort of Bluetooth/USB connectivity for my Iphone. Otherwise it all works perfectly, including the sim-card/phone, the navigation and all of the other functionality. It even sounds pretty good!

I'd like to add DAB and Bluetooth to this system and I wonder if there is any advice here as to my options and connectivity. My intention for the car is to keep it pretty much OEM+ but with a fast-road flavour; as such I would consider a centre console delete at some point to free up legroom so any replacement would need to be single DIN to work in this configuration. I would also like something that looks period and of suitable quality.

The options I can see are as follows:

1. get a bluetooth adapter for the PCM1 for about £150 which connects into the old cd changer cables and will allow me to use my Iphone for DAB and streaming music. This is an easy option which will allow the car to stay OEM looking, but no DAB functionality.

2. get a new single DIN head unit with DAB and Bluetooth (these seem quite thin on the ground surprisingly). I'm thinking something like the Continental TRD7412 which seems great except this doesn't have pre-outs to interface with the BOSE. There is the Blaupunkt Bremen which seems perfect but is very expensive and a bit too retro looking for the 996. This leaves some more modern units like the Alpine UTE-93DAB which are available for around £180 and seem to offer the functionality I need if not the retro-ish looks.

In terms of mounting this I was considering putting it into the slot currently occupied by the Navigation drive for the time being, assuming the the centre console delete will happen at a later date. Is this possible? I assume I will need to pull the PCM1 to connect the wiring harness into the new head unit, will it be long enough to reach the lower position in the centre console? I would then just pop the PCM1 back into place where it can fill the big hole in the dash until I'm ready to do the console delete.

3. Get a double DIN unit to replace the PCM and change the navigation drive for a cubby hole. I'm not that keen on this look and I don't really need all the extra functionality.

Finally, in connecting a new head unit into the BOSE system am I just looking for a single set of 2V pre-outs via RCA to make his work? Is there anything else I need to worry about interfacing the three connector blocks on the PCM into the new head unit? Can I just buy an off the shelf harness adapter?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm going to lose it if I have to listen to any more Radio 2!

I recently went for option 1 (Mr12volt system - £115 off eBay), albeit I have a MOST system. It's been excellent, everything looks original and it seemlessly works with my S10 phone. I listen to a lot of Spotify and when you start the car, your last track automatically resumes. Great sound quality. Track name displayed on the PCM too. There's phone connectivity with microphone but I disabled that as I prefer to use the in-car phone and SIM card. There's a USB socket and I'm planning on routing a charge cable into the glove box.

Thanks DJ911, a solution like yours does seem to be the easiest option although all the adapters I can see are for the MOST system except for one from Loudlink which is around £160 for the pre-MOST PCM1 + some extra for a harness.

I have decided that I am going to do the GT3 console delete and as such I need a single DIN unit to replace my PCM1 and various brackets and bezels to move the aircon into the dashboard. I have taken a punt on an Alpine head-unit model CDE-178BT which is supposed to offer excellent sound quality and can be set to amber illumination to match the rest of the dash. It doesn't have DAB but uses your phone to stream internet radio through an app.

This has three sets of 4v pre-outs, two of which should connect to the existing Bose amp front and rear line-level inputs. I may in time try to connect the third set of pre-outs directly to the subwoofer amp and use the Alpine active crossover if it offers a demonstrable improvement in sound quality.

Has anyone managed to use the inbuilt microphone in the dash with a third-party head unit? The Alpine has a 3.5mm jack for mic input so a specific adapter or a bit of soldering may be required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back