Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ceramic coating, worth it?

porkchops

Monza
Looking to protect the paintjob while the car sits on the drive during winters (and summers). Is ceramic coating worth the price?

Been quoted £400 for polishing and ceramic coat with 2 years protection. They offer different duration of protection from 6months to 2 years, is this even true?

Any protection will last to a point depending upon how you maintain it, whether the car is in everyday use or your case sat on the drive. There is considerable labour preparing a car - if done properly can take several days. Good finishes are obtained by the preparation to the top coat.

My GT4 is ceramic coated. Not because I requested it but OPC did it in error costing them £800.

I will say it does add a a glass effect coating to the paint that makes the car shine really well and water bead off. I wouldn't pay £800 for it but I am impressed with the finish and the kit they gave me to keep it in tip top condition.

Other will extoll PPF as the best protection but I'm not a fan. One stone chip that reaches the paint and the whole panel needs it ripping off along with poilsh/dirt trapping in the edges plus the 4 figure price tag etc. :what:

I had mine done (including wheels) cost £1200 and took 3 days. Was it worth it...absoulutely not!

As said above, its all about the preparation. A proper prep will take one-two days, depending on the condition of your paint, then more time for the ceramic coats.

In principle, a ceramic coating is a semi-permanent synthetic wax... but harder, so longer lasting and should provide more protection. A good ceramic finish gives a 'dipped in glass' look.

It still needs maintaining- bird lime etc will etch the finish if not washed off, and you can't desert the two-bucket method.

A ceramic coating is technically a sealant, I think.

For daily drivers a good sealant is just as effective, some reckon, whilst being hugely cheaper.

For garaged special-event low-milers, ceramic coating will probably last the full 2 years, so might be worth the extra expense.

I had my M2 ceramic coated with a 2 year Gyeon product when I bought the car. I used the car everyday in all weathers and never used any Gyeon top up products. It lasted about 12 months. I paid about £400 for it.

The best thing about it was how much time it saved me when I had to wash the car, and how much less I needed to wash the car because it would stay cleaner for much longer. Totally worth it for me because of the time it saved.

I did a DIY hybrid wax/ceramic jobbie..... took all day and a fraction of the cost:
Washed and dried the car, clay bar (very rewarding) and then Meguiars Hybrid Cermaic Wax (effing pain in the @rse for the first time application)

Makes for easy washing though - no soap - nothing really sticks to the bodywork. I have still to do the maintenance application which I hope is an easier process

£400 would buy materials for a very nice car port..

Giff said:

Not sure what it is with mine, but birds love to fly through it and crap on the car. Cost me over 2k, but I did get someone to fit it.

I use carbon collective hybrid coating, just spray on after you wash it, then rinse off, job done.

I am not particularly patient or methodical and so don't tend to get involved in detailing to any great extent, but I used carpro cquartz on my 996 turbo 3 months ago and I am very impressed with the ease of use and the results. It totally transformed the look of the car in the dry and the wet (who doesn't love a bit of beading)....

If I had needed to wash it since then, I imagine I would be saying it's easy to do (but I haven't, it still looks great and it does get driven)

I love my ceramic coating.

2-stage polish followed by gtechniq c2 and exo. £500 cash in hand. Took 3 days.

My local detailer is not gtechniq approved so doesn't come with the warranty.

Had it done over 3 years ago and it still looks great.

Crazy beading, and more importantly, very easy/quick to wash, and I don't need to spend hours doing wax-on/wax-off. This means more time with family at weekends etc.

Well worth it in my opinion.

porkchops said:
Giff said:

I live in a conservation area where carports are not allowed...

Thats a bit random but yes you can - unless you have a particularly small house? Limit is on relative surface area.

I can recommend it & although I'd grudge paying anyone else to do it, that is a decent price.

Had mine on for 3 years now, & as it's not a daily, it still beads off even now.
For me, its one of the best developments in detailing in years! I can't recommend it enough.

Get it done, & top up with wetcoat every now & again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back