Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Taking seats out 997

Steve Wright

Spa-Francorchamps
Want to take front seats out to clean down the sides and underneath. What's the situ with airbags and plugs etc. Do I need to disconnect the battery.

If you disconnect the battery beforehand and only reconnect it when all is back together again you should be OK. Check if you have a tracker or similar as they could provide an alternative power source as some have backup batteries that may backfeed into the system but hopefully only when the ignition is switched on, so remove the key. If you don't, you will have to reset all airbags etc but it is easier to just avoid it!

Thanks , I guess I could just unbolt it and leave wires on , just tip it up and Hoover underneath save any problems 😁

Just be aware that "some" 987, 997s can behave a bit strangely when the battery has been disconnected, my 987.1 Boxster S forgot that it had headlight washers and the front trunk, rear boot and footwell lights stopped working after I changed the battery for a new one :nooo:
It required a "handover reset" via a laptop and PIWIS by our resident Porsche Guru Mechanic member deMort to put things right for me :grin:

You will get ABS, PSM and PASM ( if you have Pasm) error codes after disconnecting the battery, but these will clear after a few hundred yards of driving :thumb:

As long as you leave the key out of the ignition then you can unplug the seats with no airbag light triggered ..

For just hoovering it out then undo the bolts , leave the wiring plugged in and tilt it backwards .. block of wood to hold it tilted back.

Undo the rears first then the fronts .

Kris .. bless you .. it's rare to have issues after a battery reset but heated seats and headlamp washers inop are the main 2 items that can happen .. vehicle handover will get them working again .

PCM 2.1 and you will lose the date as well these days .

A drive over 6 mph will reset the psm lights .. steering angle sensor is the item that gets upset and will default back to old values once driven like this .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikekean
Back