Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door microswitch changeover/door lock swap

FZP

Zandvoort
My window has been playing up and all things lead to the microswitch in the door handle. Observations of the fault are:
Window will drop on both interior and exterior pulls, but fails to remain dropped for closing the door.
Holding the handle allows for door to be closed to keep the window dropped.
The chime for leaving the headlights on has disappeared. Assuming the car doesn't know that the door is open so no warning chime.

I've ordered a microswitch from Porsche 997 613 125 02. I've watched a few videos in how to remove the door cards but have failed to find any videos that specifically address the changing of the microswitch. Looking at the details on workshop manuals, it's simply a case of removing the back of the exterior door handle to expose the microswitch. Swap them out and should be job done. I've also ordered some spare door card clips should any break during removal also just in case.

Given the above info, is there anything I'm missing in terms of getting the job done. Could it be another issue somewhere? I am trying to avoid having the car in pieces over the weekend or having to do the job twice.

TIA,
FZP
Edit: altered title to include diagnosed issue for future search purposes

The fault is the door lock assembly ..

Both the inner and outer handles have a micro switch to drop the window .. an on / off switch so if both handle drop the window then logically they are working fine .

They are there to give the car a chance to drop the window before the lock goes to the open position ( window will catch if opened to fast ) .

Door lock switch tells the car the door is open .. hence no light on chime .. the car thinks the door is closed .

If changing the door lock yourself then there's some tips i need to give you .. one guy here almost hurt his hand when the window went down as he tried to replace the lock .

Phone number on request should you wish to chat and because i'm only here in the evenings :D

Pm sent

Hi FZP,
I had the same on my 996. As deMort says, it's probably the lock assy and apparently it's usually a breakdown of the tracks on the board rather than one of the may microswitches.
The 996 part is common to the Audi TT and that part is much cheaper than the Porsche part. Not too hard to change either. For the 996, the RH Part is 8N2837016B.

Good luck
Mike

Thanks Mike.
I'll look I to this further on Monday when I speak to Porsche for the part number.
A useful video for those wanting to have a crack at changing the locks thanks to deMort
https://youtu.be/eu_Y-0YDI88

If you've not removed a door card before its one of those jobs thats much easier once you have done it once and know how it all fits ..........you need quite a bit of force to get the clips to detach, I start with the corner as there is less chance of breaking the metal inner membrane seal with the trim removal tool, once you get the corner away you can use your fingers to get the other clips off but you have to use a surprising amount of force. Spare clips are essential and check both sides when apart as some can stay in place on the door. you need to make sure the clips are 'reset" to push back in and they ALL go back in properly otherwise you will end up with the dreaded wet lower door carpet as they actually form part of the waterproof barrier in the metal membrane :thumb:

A good old post here on the micro switches.....

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=67550

Sounds like the microswitch inside the door lock assembly which senses if the door is open or closed has stuck:

DOOR MICROSWITHES

There are seven microswitches in each door which control the alarm system.

Two are separate switches:

a) One on the outside door handle. This switch is used to sense that the handle is lifted.
b) One on the inside door handle, which has the same function.

When the car is unlocked and either handle is lifted, this signals the alarm control module (ACM) to lower the appropriate window by 10mm, and turn on the interior lights. As soon as the door opens, another switch inside the door lock (explained later) tells the ACM that the door is open, which holds the window down until the door is closed, when the window is raised, and the dimming timer on the interior lights is started. Once the car is locked, the outside handle switches are ignored by the ACM.

The remaining five switches are inside the door lock assembly:

c) One switch senses if the door is open or closed.
d) One senses that the key has been turned to the 'lock' position.
e) Another senses that the key has been turned to the 'unlock' position.
f) One senses that the door lock motor has reached the 'lock' position.
g) Another senses that the door lock motor has reached the 'unlock' position.

TYPICAL FAULTS

All these microswitches can be problematic, and it is common for one or more to fail at some time. These are some of the common failures and symptoms:

1) The door window won't drop when lifting a handle. This is usually the handle microswitch which has failed.

2) The window drops, but goes back up when the door opens. This can be the handle microswitch, or more likely the 'door open/closed microswitch' (c) has stuck. Because the system thinks the door is still closed, it sends the window back up.

3) Door window won't go up the last 10mm. This is likely to be the 'door open/closed microswitch' (c) stuck in the opposite sense to (2). The system thinks the door is still open, so won't allow the window to go back up. Note that in this case the door will still lock, but you may get a single-beep from the alarm horn.

4) Door will not lock with key. The 'key lock' microswitch (d) is broken. This is very rare, as this microswitch is hardly ever used – most times the car is locked by remote.

5) Door will not unlock with key. The 'key lock' microswitch (e) is broken. This is also very rare, for the same reason.

6) Door locks, and then immediately unlocks, usually accompanied by a double-beep from the alarm horn. This is the 'door locked' microswitch (f). The locking motor physically operates the door lock, but the microswitch to sense this has failed/stuck. The ACM promptly unlocks the car. In this case, the only way to lock the door is to use the emergency locking procedure. Turn the key in the door to the lock position and back three times in quick succession.

7) The door unlocks, but there is a beep from the alarm horn. This is the 'door unlocked' microswitch (g). Although the door is unlocked, the ACM has not recognised that. The alarm will not sound, as turning the key in the lock has deactivated it.

FIXES

The inside and outside handle microswitches are available separately, and are not too expensive. Although alternative equivalent switches may be available, the genuine Porsche switch comes with a connector and wiring, so it makes sense to use an original. Part Numbers:

Inside handle microswitch: 996.613.123.00 (Same both sides)
Outside handle microswitch: 996.613.125.00 (Left) / 996.613.126.00 (Right)

The door lock microswitches are not available separately. You have to buy the complete door lock assembly, at a cost of around £80+VAT. It has been known for people to repair the offending switch

Thanks for that. I had a good chat with Iain this morning and feel like I've now got a good understanding, coupled with that video for referral that I posted earlier.
I'll try and capture the process as I go along which will hopefully be useful to someone else in the future. 3hrs should be a realistic fix time to do the job, workshop would be approx 1.5hrs and £150, so it's worth the effort.

So I ended up thickening out and paying Porsche tax for the OEM part vs buying an VAG part. Reason being is when I stick the Porsche Part # in the internet, it spits out a bunch of part numbers that are essentially the same, but with a suffix letter. I couldn't figure out what that means in the real world so I just bit the bullet. If it wasn't such a fiddly job to mount the lock, I would have changed it. But as it stands, I've got the right part now to complete the job, so I guess it's game on now.
Will update once completed.

Be careful with the door airbag, you can dangle it by the wire as the card will just about sit on the floor on its edge but if you disconnect I think you have to disconnect the battery :wink:

jonttt said:
Be careful with the door airbag, you can dangle it by the wire as the card will just about sit on the floor on its edge but if you disconnect I think you have to disconnect the battery :wink:
A good chat with deMort highlighted a few things. Disconnecting the airbag isn't an issue if you unplug and plug it in correctly. Stuff it up and it's a PIWIS job. Disconnecting the battery also stops the guillotine in your hand should you make a rookie mistake. So given I am one, the battery shall be disconnected.

Lots of good information there. My 997.1 4S has a problem with the passenger door.

Looks like option 3 for me:-

3) Door window won't go up the last 10mm. This is likely to be the 'door open/closed microswitch' (c) stuck in the opposite sense to (2). The system thinks the door is still open, so won't allow the window to go back up. Note that in this case the door will still lock, but you may get a single-beep from the alarm horn.

It would be correct to say that in this situation the interior light should be on also, which it is?

I see a part number 3D1-837-015-C which is different from this chat.

https://teile.com/en/porsche-parts-...indow-lifter/45/804-00-Door/Door-lock-L/14580

Can I buy the micro switches separately or best to get the door lock as the attached link.

Comments appreciated?

Thx

Nice video, he's got a nice collection of handbags ! :eek:

Frank, how did you get on with this......I've got the same problem intermittent on the drivers window ie only does it occasionally but window goes back up when you release the handle = car does not know the door is still open.....What part number did you get from Porsche (for drivers door ?)

Jon
I haven't done it yet. Here is the part I ordered in the picture. This is drivers door. I'm not sure if it's the same for passenger for anyone else looking at this

Attachments

• 20200409_182533_copy_1200x1600_819.jpg
    20200409_182533_copy_1200x1600_819.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 4,093
:thumb: thanks Frank....

A bit of research shows the much cheaper than OEM VAG parts as:

VAG Door Lock Module Part Numbers
These parts seem to be common between all VAG vehicles (VW, Skoda, Audi, etc)

Front Doors:
3D2 837 016 - Front Driver's Side/OSF
3D2 837 015 - Front Passenger's Side/NSF

Rear Doors:
7L0 839 016 - Rear Driver's Side/OSR
7L0 839 015 - Rear Passenger's Side/NSR

I can get the OSF new for c£15 :eek: off eBay.......I'm feeling risky so think I'll order one for that price to keep in stock and see if the problem gets worse or fixes itself ......nothing to lose.....ie if I end up needing to fit and this part does not fit I can always get the Porsche part from my local OPC :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back