Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suspension refurb question

AndyS

Albert Park
Hi All,

Three years ago I had the interior re-done.
Two years ago I had a full glass out bare metal paint job - and had all the usual bits sorted and new screens.
Last year I had all new disks, caliper refurb and wheels sorted.
Next month, it's booked in for the engine to come out for a rebuild.

All that's left after this is the suspension, so now I'm thinking ahead for the next job....
But - I have a question about this. First of all, my car is M030 spec and probably all original. I like the ride height, and don't track the car.
I'm trying to understand what difference I will feel if I get it all done?

I have 2 other cars - a brand new Mercedes GLA and a 6 year old Golf.
I've had the Golf from new, and when it was new - it was as smooth on the road as the Merc is now. But now, you can tell it's 6 years old....

If I fit new shcks, springs and all bushes to the Porsche - will I get that nice new car smooth feel again?
I fully understand that it will be a different ride as it's a lot firmer, but I've driven plenty of brand new 911's - and those are very easy and smooth over bumps and rough roads.
Will doing all this make it feel like a 'new' 911 (sort of)?

I'm sure there's a bunch of you here done this, so any feedback would help me decide.

I'd have a talk with CoG first.
A lot of variables to consider.
!7" or even 16" wheels give a more compliant ride.
Shocks and springs need careful consideration. Konis are suposed to give a softer ride than Bilsteins (I found HD very hard, Pss10s better on soft setting but still pretty firm. Replacement of suspension bushes will give more precise handling if originals are worn.
As the car is M030 spec it will always be a bit firm.
If Chris or Pete give it a test run they'll tell you what to expect, along with a big but justifiable bill.

Andy,
I've done the full hit suspension wise, I had M030 on mine too so decided to keep it road focussed but still sporty so went with new M030 Porsche Springs and Koni FSD's all from Gert.

When installed and set-up correctly you WILL feel a big difference there's no doubt. The car will return to that as new feel, taught and nimble. You must have it set-up correctly after installation, so mine has been pretty much returned to stock.

It feels great out on the roads, steering is sublime, I had my track rod ends swapped out whist at CoG.

If your engine is out make sure you swap the engine and gearbox mounts too, they will make a big difference in terms of gearshift and overall feel of the car. You may also want to consider an RS gearshift or goldenrod.

This is my car at CoG, setting the rear kinematic toe..

JyyRglt.jpg

Chris Franklin setting rear camber

Mg28qaI.jpg

More adjustments

7P5eVBk.jpg

Hi

When I did the suspension on my 185k miler, I went for replacement M029 standard rate springs (not the old original ones) set to "sport" height (alignment by COG) bilstein shocks, polybushed the roll bars, All front and rear bushes were replaced with Elephant Racing "RS" spec bushes, RS engine mounts, front steering arms were welded solid. I used standard Porsche top mounts. And put a solid strut brace in.

On 17" wheels I can tell you it handles really nicely. Not harsh, a little jiggly over bad surfaces at low speeds. At speed it is very well controlled, even on lively roads (North Wales is where it gets its proper exercise).

I did not buy the car from new, but I don't think it would have driven any better than it does now.

I don't like harsh setups, and having come from old Lotuses, appreciated the long spring firm damper philosophy. Thats also why I used standard top mounts.

It all made sense to me at the time, and I still love how it drives, although I do not gun around anymore.

Your car sounds lovely!

Best of luck!

Thanks for all your feedback guys - this is definately something I'll be doing towards the back end of 2020
I'm on 17's, though I might change to 18's first.
However - whatever I do it won't be track focused, just balanced and smooth with good handling.

.....that is unless I scratch that itch and bail out for an F360 first :?:

AndyS - I also had mine re-done this year. Everything on it was original which after 100k miles and 24 years was definitely feeling sloppy. Handling is markedly better now and it really feels like it could handle anything twisty with great aplomb (I am yet to take it on a proper roadtrip...but am looking forward to it immensely).

For my setup, I had everything done by Christian Sanger. Went with Koni FSDs and new M033 springs. Almost everything else on it was replaced but it has definitely been well worth it. I suspect you'll be mightily impressed at the difference once done.

pierrebear said:
AndyS - I also had mine re-done this year. Everything on it was original which after 100k miles and 24 years was definitely feeling sloppy. Handling is markedly better now and it really feels like it could handle anything twisty with great aplomb (I am yet to take it on a proper roadtrip...but am looking forward to it immensely).

For my setup, I had everything done by Christian Sanger. Went with Koni FSDs and new M033 springs. Almost everything else on it was replaced but it has definitely been well worth it. I suspect you'll be mightily impressed at the difference once done.

Thanks - interesting....
What is the difference between M030 & M033?

Do you mind saying what you paid for having everything done?
Just a PM if you don't want to go public......
I don't like doing things by half, so if I am going to do it - it will be everything.

Andy, the MO33 springs are linear in compression are I think are 20mm lower than stock.

MO30 springs are not linear they're a progressive rate spring, usually used in tandem with thicker ARB's. This gives a firmer ride in comparison.

Trev

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Andy, the MO33 springs are linear in compression are I think are 20mm lower than stock.

MO30 springs are not linear they're a progressive rate spring, usually used in tandem with thicker ARB's. This gives a firmer ride in comparison.

Trev

What do you think of the FSDs? I'm intrigued by them...

FSD's are a good damper for general road use I would say. Adjustable on the front but fixed rears.

I know many use Bilstein coilovers and have had good results, but I personally cannot comment.

I'd go down a different route if the car was to be used on track, Ohlins or KW are likely candidates.

Trev

Take it down to Chris at CG (no "of", just Centre Gravity, http://www.centregravity.co.uk/). He'll do a full assessment including taking you out with him driving. That last 2hrs. He'll test ever part and scenario and then give you the full options. In my case - luckily - I just needed a couple of bushes and then all the parts aligned (still best part of full days work at second visit). It was a complete transformation, genuinely a revelation.

Mine had loads of new parts fitted over the years, all within factory-spec alignment, but none aligned with each other. Also, after 25 years the Boge shocks were still functioning damn-nearly perfect. Other brands aren't quite so long lived.

The moral of the story - see how your existing set up feels when properly configured before you go replacing good stuff for no reason. Chris will tell you all this - go see him.

Thanks Trev - noted.

Tobes - that sounds like a good idea, particulary now I see that CoG are further north than I first thought.

My car will be down south having the engine rebuild during Feb ~ March, so once I know the collection date I could even book in with Chris and call in during the (running in) drive home...... (Just for an assesment mind - I'll have just paid for the engine build :sad: )

I replaced everything on my 993, I mean every single suspension part. So don't just think new dampers and springs are possibly all thats
required. If you want a truly new car feel then you need to replace everything....... It ain't cheap.

Here's mine. Be warned, prices on OEM parts have gone through the roof since.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=233&t=1537100

Am I the only one who thinks you should have spent your money on this first? Dodgy seats and a smokey engine (why do you think your engine needs
a rebuild btw?) are less an issue than a ropey handling 993.

Just in case anyone's interested- CG are doing their excellent Porsche 'health checks' in Jan this year. Still limited availability, details on their website.

wozy said:
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=233&t=1537100

Am I the only one who thinks you should have spent your money on this first? Dodgy seats and a smokey engine (why do you think your engine needs
a rebuild btw?) are less an issue than a ropey handling 993.

Hi Wozy
Good write up :thumb:
I want to get the oil drips sorted 'cos it drives Mrs. S nuts with drips on her nice driveway - so may as well get the top end done at the same time - future proofing.
I didn't do the suspension earlier, as I didn't think it needed doing. I'm still not sure it does, but as everything else will have been done it just makes sense. Also, when I got the brand new Merc suddenly the '993 does feel worn.

BTW - you still after the 'F' car.....? :bandit:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back