Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reversing lights not working...

TV8

Montreal
I have just had some new tyres put on the car and as the fitter was reversing the car out of the bay, I noticed that there was no reversing light.

Looking at the car, there are actually 2 lights so either both have blown or the volts are disappearing elsewhere!

A quick search on here references the mirrors moving when reverse is selected, which I am sure doesn't happen. Do the mirrors move on all cars or just the tiptronics please?

If its all cars, I think I need to look in the centre consul, if not, the rear switch on the gearbox?

Thanks in advance.
Graham

I would start with replacing one of the reverse light bulbs .. if one works after that then its both light bulbs blown .. not uncommon ..

After that short out the reverse light switch and see if they work .. unplug and join the terminals together with wire .

Rule of thumb its bulbs or the reverse light switch thats failed .

Tip or manual ?

deMort said:
I would start with replacing one of the reverse light bulbs .. if one works after that then its both light bulbs blown .. not uncommon ..

After that short out the reverse light switch and see if they work .. unplug and join the terminals together with wire .

Rule of thumb its bulbs or the reverse light switch thats failed .

Tip or manual ?

Thanks, I will check during the week.

The car is a manual. By the brake light switch, do you mean the one on the gearbox please?

Caution replacing the gearbox switch, I'm not sure if mine had been replaced before but it was a plastic bodied switch that crumbled on attempted removal, this meant that I couldn't fit a new one as part of the old thread was left in and inaccessible. If this happens don't drive the car as you'll spew out gearbox oil, I filled the hole with metal putty and non longer have reversing lights (not needed for MOT luckily). I will eventually wire up an alternative switch to turn them on until such time as the gearbox needs to be removed.

I had to replace my reverse light switch last summer. The part number will bring up an equivalent Opel part, which cost maybe 5€. The switch is located right at the front of the gearbox, but is rather easy to get to. Requires a 24mm wrench IRC.

Well, I had the chance to test the bulbs tonight and both have continuity so no volts are getting to them. Hoping to drive and enjoy the car this weekend and not planning to look underneath but will do so soon!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back