Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Just bought my second 996

Epsom996

Hello. I'm a newbie here but just bought my second 996. 1999 c4s cab with loads of history and immaculate bodywork. It's got a couple of faults; squeaky windows and a mystery ticking sound on idle but I'm very happy. Should I be worried about the ticking noise though ?

The ticking could be sticking hydraulic tappet, but will usually disappear when engine warms up and oil gets hot. Could be a noisy injector.

Squeaking window usually passenger side can be fixed with silicon spray. May take a while to disappear with use unless you take door card off for direct access to mechanism.

fot0 said:
The ticking could be sticking hydraulic tappet, but will usually disappear when engine warms up and oil gets hot. Could be a noisy injector.

Squeaking window usually passenger side can be fixed with silicon spray. May take a while to disappear with use unless you take door card off for direct access to mechanism.

how many miles? Thicker oil quietened mine down a lot.

Still ticks at idle when cold a bit not after a few mins or when hot. 0w40 has no place near a 100k+ engine IMO.

Squeeky windows- form the door seal or mechanism?

If mechanism, door card off and regrease sliders and cable.

Door seals wear the felt off leaving the rubber to squeal on the window. New doors seals are well over a hundred each.

I use gummi fledge on mine (google it) and polish the glass, cuts it down a lot.

wasz said:
how many miles? Thicker oil quietened mine down a lot.

Still ticks at idle when cold a bit not after a few mins or when hot. 0w40 has no place near a 100k+ engine IMO.

Squeeky windows- form the door seal or mechanism?

If mechanism, door card off and regrease sliders and cable.

Door seals wear the felt off leaving the rubber to squeal on the window. New doors seals are well over a hundred each.

I use gummi fledge on mine (google it) and polish the glass, cuts it down a lot.

+1... I clayed the windows, and coated with RainX. I also clean the felts inside of the seals, and pull them 'away' from the window all along the top of the door from time to time. Seems to have largely shut them up apart from hot days.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back