Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Having a warm starting nightmare!!! help

HoTWire

I've got a 2002 C4 3.6 and it is driving me crazy. It won't restart when warm, won't crank, acts as if the battery is dead. If I leave it for a while (an increasing amount of time it seems) it will turn over and start fine. I've also been able to jump start it occasionally but often this won't work. It is particularly embarrassing in petrol stations.

A couple of times it has stalled at the end of my drive (which is a slope) and I've been totally unable to start it, with it half hanging out in the road. Tonight is just such an occasion, couldn't get it to jump start, alarm still worked though (repeatedly). Had to push it mostly in to a space off the road and leave it (over night at this point).

Battery seems fine, and I'd expect a jump start would still work if the battery is gone. What else should I be looking at? Earth leads I guess? Starter motor?? In pretty much all other respects it is great.

There's a notorious 'Y' cable (alternator to starter) that can do this as it deteriorates over time and causes hot start problems and it'll be cheaper to replace than the starter motor initially anyway.

It sounds very much like the starter motor needs replacing to me .

It's more common to have a click when you try to start it in this situation so if you do hear a click and it wont spin over then that proves it .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back