Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 997.1 TPC Lights

Rob Grove

Hi there, I'm relatively new to the 997 game and I have a question that I think only a thread can answer. I've recently bought into a 2007 gen 1 Targa. When I bought the car I was aware that it kept showing 'TPC INACTIVE" and throwing an exclamation mark on the instrument dials. The wheels had curbing damage so I've had them refurbished and new valve sensors put in for the TPC issue. After I got the car back I performed a reset on the TPC system in the on board computer and expected it to fix it. However, the car still gives me the exclamation mark and TPC INACTIVE message but seems to be giving me the tyre pressures for the right hand side? These sensors only cost me £20 so I'm very sure they're not OEM parts but seem to work on the right but not the left. On the left hand side of the car I do actually have an odd tyre that isn't the same as the other three and I believe this may be the cause of the issue by confusing the TPC system, but before I spend the £240 I was quoted for a matching tyre I'd like to get an expert opinion.

Thanks, Rob

£20 sensors and an odd tyre? I rather feel you already know the answer!
Sort your tyres and buy some decent sensors, they don't have to be OEM just a reasonable make and obviously the correct frequency. Search TPMS Porsche in Ebay.

Tyre pressure sensors work on pressure .. a diaphragm in the unit will be compressed under pressure and give a reading ( voltage ) .. not exactly the case but it gives you an idea ..

The type of tyre will have no effect on the pressure that's inside the tyre .

The sensors at that price are not OEM.

Even OEM ones can be a pain to get working .. 20 miles road test on a gen 1 at least in learning mode to get a reading .

Sometimes they even need to be coded on .

Do not get Gen 2 sensors by mistake .. always get the ones for your car which will be gen 1 sensors .. this isn't gen 1 997 .. this is the generation of the sensors .

You don't have to fit new sensors if you don't want to .. they can be coded off to remove the warning message .

Thank you both, I have seen the message pop up that the car is learning, but I immediately dismissed it. Tomorrow I shall take the car out for a 20 mile ish journey and see if that makes a difference. I'm guessing once it has learnt it will say so or start displaying the pressures? I'll let you know how it goes.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back