Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Pump Advice

pannysouth

So, Local OPC are advising I need a new oil pump after just one "oil pressure failure" message. They have advised me it is not the relay or sensor but definitely the pump. As this a a MAJOR outlay outside of warranty, just wanted to take a straw poll on alternatives to me OPC. Of course, they are advising against driving the car, so if I do seek alternatives they need to be reasonably close.

Anyone had a similar problem? The car is a MY 2011 Panamera 4S on 84k miles.

First off i'll just say i've never seen nor have heard of this fault before .

Oil pressure failure is about as bad as it gets .. if it has failed then there could be other damage .

obviously you dont drive the car at this point .

Ok .. that's the bad stuff ...

You had a single message that said oil pressure failure .. did you turn off the car .. restart and it was fine from there onwards ?

Has the OPC used a seperate oil pressure gauge to confirm you have low or non existent oil pressure ?

There is a control valve as this is a variable .. on demand system which might be faulty .. downside is its on the pump so the same amount of work is needed as replacing the pump ...

After looking at this then it might be possible to replace on its own .. i can't quite see from the pictures and would really need to look at the car to say for sure .

Stupid question as i'm sure the OPC has already checked but the oil level is ok isn't it ?

Indy will be cheaper but it does mean starting again with diagnostics and you will have to have the car recovered .. driving it is not a good idea .

Info i have found on this is below ..

Attachments

• pump_2_1_143.jpg
    pump_2_1_143.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 3,283
  • pump_1_1_357.jpg
    pump_1_1_357.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 3,283
deMort - thanks for your reply. I have answered as best I can below.

deMort said:
You had a single message that said oil pressure failure .. did you turn off the car .. restart and it was fine from there onwards ? - Yep! Exactly what happened

Has the OPC used a separate oil pressure gauge to confirm you have low or non existent oil pressure ? - No, they have said "The fault code is to do with too much oil pressure, the code was cleared & returned on road test. There is no external oil leaks for the pump."

Stupid question as i'm sure the OPC has already checked but the oil level is ok isn't it ? - Oil level has always been showing as fine, never had an issue apart from this one message. They said the PWISS showed the fault but only once.

As for the indy, they all seem to quote much higher labor times (18 hours +) than the OPC (12 hours) thus wiping out the savings!

My best guess from your answers is the control valve is faulty .. im afraid im not sure if this can be changed in situ though ... a mechanical fault ie the pump would be a constant low pressure .. there also has to be a damn good reason for this to get damaged .

Control valve makes the most sense to me shall we say .

Cayennes and it can be changed in situ .

Indys will struggle to give a cost as they haven't diagnosed it so will often quote high.

If the fault code comes back then there is a permanent fault and not just a one off .

After looking at the images of this then it does strike me that it should be possible to change the control valve in situ ..

I can't say but it's worth asking the question ..

Don't say some guy on the forum said .. just ask .. is it possible its a control valve and can it be replaced on its own .

Best guess from me anyways as that's all i can offer .

DeMort,

I really appreciate your advice and it is taken without warranty or guarantee! I'm going to stick with the OPC and get them to do the work, mainly because if another fault develops because of this it will be on their head!

Will post back once the work is complete - along with the recall for Camshaft bolts, which is why it originally went in!

Thanks,

PS

pannysouth said:
DeMort,

I really appreciate your advice and it is taken without warranty or guarantee! I'm going to stick with the OPC and get them to do the work, mainly because if another fault develops because of this it will be on their head!

Will post back once the work is complete - along with the recall for Camshaft bolts, which is why it originally went in!

Thanks,

PS

Not a hope in hell :evil:

I feel that is probably the best thing to do in the circumstances .

I know the camshaft recall well .. i've done a few .. but to be honest if you were going to have a problem there then i feel you would already have had it .

It's very messy if they do fail shall we say though .

OPC will probably replace the entire pump along with the control valve so for me i wont get an answer which is a shame .. but the car will be fixed for you which is good ..

Although the cost wont be such good news .

Wishing you better luck in the future though . :thumb:

Just an update - car is back from OPC. All seems well, so far.

DeMort - could not get my hands on the old part, but am awaiting a inspection of the part to answer what the issue was.

Now to move onto pads and discs before putting the 20" wheels on..."Brother, can you spare a dime?"

If the part was not exchange or not paid for under warranty then its still your property and im unsure of who is inspecting it as that's not what OPC,s do but either way the car is fixed ..

Probably not cheap though and just before Xmas so you have my sympathies there .

The horse may have bolted on this one but i still say the Porsche warranty is the best there is so if your car qualifies then perhaps it's worth a thought .

Pads and discs as well ? ouch .. another large bill .. get an Indy quote as well .. OPC can be very expensive on these items .

Just to say, I've run ZImmerman pads and discs on my Turbo for 15000 miles and they're just as good as OEM for 1/3 of the price. They don't even have rusty hubs like OEM.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back