Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Hayward & Schott Bypass ... potential issues?

AMS911

Trainee
Hi Guys,

Had my bypass/crossover pipe fitted last Friday. All seems to have gone well and the car definitely sounds better. However I wanted to know if the following is normal:

On idle and roughly around the 1000rpm mark, there is a rattle, sounds abit like a tin can and its constantly there until about 1100. Only at that rpm range. I've also noticed it seems to increase more when the car is hot after a spirited drive. Is this a normal occurrence?

Any help would be appreciated. I haven't raised the potential issue with H&S as of yet, just thought I'd get some opinions on here first.

Thanks

My apologies should have been clearer.

Hayward and Schott. Rear muffler bypass ... crosspipe :thumbs:

Gundo hack.

Doesn't sound right to me.

I've got the H&S bypass fitted and don't have this issue. Get it checked out.

Aghh okies the Gundo hack .. the bypass between pipes ..

Ok .. you have a cracked exhaust bracket im guessing .. need to pry bar each part to see whats loose.

probably there before hand but you will have more vibration on these parts now and it will buzz / rattle .

Heat effects this a lot .. the hotter the exhaust and the more expansion of the metal .

Image below is one i bent the bracket away to stop a noise and demonstrate what parts can cause noises ..

it all depends on the model / year as to what exhaust but this is an example .

Attachments

• pa270025_420.jpg
    pa270025_420.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 2,517
Sounds like a bit of metal on metal vibration , I had it when my exhaust was first fitted and when hot the metal expanded and touched another part just at certain points in the rev range. . very easy fix but let Haywoods sort it . Its going to be one of those it shouldn't have happened but sometime these things do happen type of issue. :thumb:

deMort said:
Aghh okies the Gundo hack .. the bypass between pipes ..

Ok .. you have a cracked exhaust bracket im guessing .. need to pry bar each part to see whats loose.

probably there before hand but you will have more vibration on these parts now and it will buzz / rattle .

Heat effects this a lot .. the hotter the exhaust and the more expansion of the metal .

Image below is one i bent the bracket away to stop a noise and demonstrate what parts can cause noises ..

it all depends on the model / year as to what exhaust but this is an example .

Ian the Haywood and Scott bypass is for the 997.2 its removal of the extra rear muffler and either cross over or X pipe is fitted without that third muffler the 997.2 has a better exhaust note .

thanks all,

I have spoken to Ian at Hayward and Scott, will be taking the car back to have it inspected and hopefully get the issue resolved. Its a pain when these things do occur but I suppose thats part and parcel of modifying away from manufacturers spec !

Will let you know if its resolved.

AMS911 said:
thanks all,

I have spoken to Ian at Hayward and Scott, will be taking the car back to have it inspected and hopefully get the issue resolved. Its a pain when these things do occur but I suppose thats part and parcel of modifying away from manufacturers spec !

Will let you know if its resolved.

I certainly is mate, I cannot remember the number of times I have had to retweak a mod that was done. :thumb:

Had no issues whatsoever with 997.1 H&S bypass or my 997GT3 H&S X-Pipe.

Best they have a look :thumb:

Ok guys an update and some more questions ! I need help deciding what my options are and the best route to take...

I popped in to see Ian at Hayward, on first inspection it seems like the offside muffler/silencer (the box which sits on the inside of the bumper) is the problem. At first glance it seems that all of the brackets are fine (although this will need to be double checked when the car is on the ramp). Ian at this point has assumed that it is the muffler box as when giving it a few taps the noise changes under different revs. He's stated that due to the increase in the speed of airflow, most likely the bracket inside the box is loose and will need to be fixed. This entails obviously opening up the muffler box, fixing and re welding.
Assuming this is the issue....

My car was purchased from an OPC in march, having gone through a 111 inspection and given to me with the OPC warranty. I've covered only about 1200 miles since then. Surely if the muffler is damaged/corroded internally they should have replaced this? I can understand that you couldn't really hear the noise with the original PSE centre section, so maybe it went un noticed. Also this leads me to wonder when the other (nearside) muffler will suffer with the same issue.

The main reason I decided to have the bypass fitted 1. the much improved sound :thumbs:. But more importantly 2. Having gone through a major service at OPC Tonbridge a couple of weeks ago, one of the advisories from the service was corroded bolts on the exhaust, which although led to no blowing etc may need to be replaced...

So this leads me to the only options I can think of at the moment:

1. I let Hayward and Scott fix the muffler (they have quoted me £350 for this)... this entails losing my warranty I assume as the muffler will have been altered and i'm sure the welding will be visible upon an OPC inspection.

2. I purchase another set of mufflers... What are my options that work with the porches sports exhaust button? Are there any options which are similar to stock as I want to keep functionality of the valves.

3. Return the car to stock and raise the issue with the OPC. Would they cover these parts under warranty or is it general wear and tear ? How would I raise the issue if the noise/issue is unnoticeable with the standard centre section.

any thoughts, other options and opinions are welcome and much appreciated.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back