Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Panamera Woes....

Jay Man

Monza
Last night I got a warning light on my dash saying check number plate lights.

On returning home, both brake lights and high level brake lights were illuminated and also the rear spoiler had not retracted. Ive turned the car on and off numerous times. Ive not driven the car and the lights have remained illuminated all day. Pumping the brakes has no affect whatsoever.

Any ideas??

PS I have noticed that a LOT of water is retained in the bootlid and when opened it squirts down the sides of the body and down through the rear bumper. I assumed this was a bit of a design flaw of the Panny but maybe this could be part of the problem messing with the electrics.

Booked in to the garage tomorrow....

It sounds very much like water ingress has shorted out the rear end control unit .. i'll leave the garage to diagnose though .. under the passenger seat from memory .. although it's been awhile since i've worked on one of these .

Thanks deMort!

Will let you know what they say.

UPDATE

Drain holes in the bootlid are clogged with leaves and muck.

Water has got into the boot floor and the control unit is sat in water.

Trying to dry it out and hope that works!

Its surprising how many faults on Porsches seem to be related to water ingress/ blocked drains.

Drain holes

Jay Man said:
UPDATE

A friend with a three year old Boxster has had a major problem with water ingress.
His car has just recently had a new soft top fitted (coach builder recommended by his Insurance) due to vandalism and although a first class job upon getting the car back he started to experience horrendous sound problems with the Bose sound system fitted.
He also discovered the carpets on the passenger side sodden and suspected a problem with the newly fitted top. The car went back to the coach builders to check their work and dry out the interior, all was fine with the roof however they did find the floor well under the passenger seat was full of water. This is where the Bose sound system electronics are. Further investigation revealed the drain holes in the sill blocked with crud allowing the rainwater to get into the cabin.
A check on various forums reveals similar sill problems in other models, usually unseen because of the under trays.
Presently he is in discussion with his Insurance company to replace the water damaged Bose 'brain" system at a cost in excess of £1k. No doubt he is expecting a rise in his premiums next year.

They need to make them more waterproof
what with climate change and all!

Attachments

• d4269b07_1fdb_40a0_9f24_8f19f52ab6f9_160.jpeg
    d4269b07_1fdb_40a0_9f24_8f19f52ab6f9_160.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 2,259
Blocked drains!

Ooh these drains are concerning me?

Think I need to check my drains?

Anyone know where to look on a 997.1 2005?

Lee.

Jay Man said:
UPDATE

being the bearer of possible bad news and im afraid that roughly 9 times out of 10 when a control unit gets wet then it has to be replaced .. seen it a few times shall we say .. sorry .

If no permanent positive feed then you have a chance .. if not the power oxidises the contacts in the control unit .

@ Lee997

it depends on if you have a Cab , a sunroof or a coupe with no glass .. different for each with a solid roof not having any .

A new post i think if you want to ask the question with car details .. im sure you have already mentioned it but i have a memory like a sieve when on here :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back