Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Oil Pressure Control Valve Leak

m1kegibson

Silverstone
I suspect that I have a minor oil leak coming from around the oil pressure control valve. I plan to replace the o-rings on the flange and valve itself the next time I change the oil.

However, the workshop manual references a special socket being necessary to remove the M36 nut that holds the valve in place once the flange is removed. As expected the tool costs a fortune.

Has anyone removed one of these in the past and if so, was a special tool actually needed or would a regular long socket do the trick?

I have attached a photo showing the flange should that help ring any bells.

Thanks.

Attachments

• img_1301_192.jpg
    img_1301_192.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 3,097
First off then can i just humbly say that unless there is oil leaking outside of the picture that i can't see then what's shown is not a leak worth fixing .

The special tool is just going to be a thin walled 36mm double depth socket .. however it might be a bit longer than standard .. and this type of socket needs to be hollow inside .. i have a few like this for sensor removal but not this size .

I had a quick look on ebay and you can get something similar for about £10 .. i can't say if it will do the job or not but it's not a huge amount of money if you want to take a chance .

There is a special grease you put on the rubber O rings if you are doing the job .

Thanks for replying. I have attached a photo to give an idea of the extent of the "leak". I would describe as an oil mist rather than leak and it left only a 10p sized smudge on the driveway so I am not too worried. The photo was taken AFTER wiping the sump. I am trying to get an idea of the cost of replacing the o-rings vs just living with it.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• img_1307_2_206.jpg
    img_1307_2_206.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 3,034
Taking on board comments from deMort and after car standing for a couple of weeks (been away) I took a further look underneath. It seems I have jumped to an incorrect conclusion as a drop of oil has collected on a low point of the upper section of the oil pan. I cannot see evidence of oil higher up (though the car was not raised so access difficult) and now I am wondering if the leak might be from the gasket between upper oil pan and crank case. The car is parked on a slope with back of car lower than front.

Has anyone experienced a leak (albeit minor) from the oil pan or had a similar issue and might be able to provide any pointers to other areas that might result in these symptoms.

Attachments

• img_1541_204.jpg
    img_1541_204.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 2,942
  • img_1542_176.jpg
    img_1542_176.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 2,942
  • img_1549_499.jpg
    img_1549_499.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 2,942
Aghhhh okies .. yup you have a leak .. it's not the oil valve though ..

Image below .. try taking that bolt out .. cleaning it with brake cleaner .. coat the thread in engine grade silicone and refit it .

Clean off the entire area .. again we use brake cleaner then run the car up and look for leaks .. Hopefully it's just this bolt .. if not .. hmm .. sump gasket which is silicone sealant basically ( engine grade ) .

sealant = loctite 5900 .

Attachments

• img_1542_176_531.jpg
    img_1542_176_531.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 2,900
deMort - thanks very much for the advice/suggestion which I will try on the next non-rainy day. I have my fingers crossed as I really don't think I can deal with replacing sump gaskets on my driveway!

Still tracking down source of a small sweat/leak. After several cleaning/watching attempts, I suspect I have found where it is coming from and would welcome any feedback from others.

It seems to come from a small recess in the upper oil pan which, I assume is the result of the gasket breaking down in that area. I have checked all bolts (that are accessible) are tight and at correct torque.

I am guessing that the only solution is to have the gasket replaced. I was pondering whether a bit of high temp sealant in the hole might effect a repair for the time being but given it is nigh on impossible to properly clean the inside of that hole, I am guessing that's a no no.

Attachments

• img_2082_2419x3225_150.jpg
    img_2082_2419x3225_150.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 2,115
  • img_2080_2419x3225_965.jpg
    img_2080_2419x3225_965.jpg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 2,114
  • img_2066_3225x2419_161.jpg
    img_2066_3225x2419_161.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,114
You have nothing to loose by trying to seal it externally ..

You will need brake cleaner to wash out the groove and a bit of sandpaper to clean the outside in that area then push loctite 5900 into the grove and around that area .

Do it when the engine is cold and leave over night to cure.

If it doesn't work then its a sump gasket replacement .. which is also 5900 .

Final update on this one; job done 12 months ago but I failed to update the post.

I took DeMort's advice and cleaned the hole as best I could by blasting with brake cleaner and using cotton buds etc to clean out this hole. I cleaned the face of the joint between the upper and lower oil pan mouldings with wet/dry paper and degreased with brake fluid. I repeated the cleaning process a few times, wiping down with cotton rags in between etc. The cleaning/prep is vital.

I then used a high temp silicone and filled both the little hole and also applied liberally along the joint between the two bolts. It's not the neatest job but I wanted to seal any gaps as best as I could. I have had no seepage of oil since doing this. Ultimately, I am sure the proper fix is a new gasket but this will do the trick for a while to come.

The silicone I used was "K2 BOND High Temperature 350° C Heat Resistant Silicone" available in a small tube for around £2.50 on Amazon.

Attachments

• img_2160_207.jpg
    img_2160_207.jpg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 1,474
  • oil_seep_185.jpg
    oil_seep_185.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,474
Oil seat mark on bottom of engine

Traced it back to exact same spot after couple of cleans then monitoring it.

I have done the same thing as i already had some K2 HT silicone.

Will leave it to cure for couple of days then see if it has taken.

Will have a new sump seal done if gets worse or at next service.

Been that way since I had the car 4 1/2 years ago.

Two year warranty was not interested in sorting it out.

i wonder why they have gone at that point? dirt getting into the hole and affecting the gasket?

Regards
Glen

Attachments

• 20210406_111137_149.jpg
    20210406_111137_149.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,317
An oil leak that needs attention to me is one that drips on the floor .. being old school then some oil leaking was always a good thing back in the day .. more oil = less rust !

I'll still say if no oil dripping down and ruining your driveway then does it really need attention .

m1ke gibson's fix seemed to work so worth trying and i suspect you will have similar results .. there is no real pressure there to push oil out .. obviously if there was then an outside repair won't work .

Interestingly I had the same messy leak on mine recently, Williams Crawford kindly picked it up and dealt with it under the warranty.

It appears to have been the solenoid in my case as the seal was changed and have no further leaks after a good run over the weekend.

Nice too that the car no longer smells of hot oil after every drive :D

Cheers

Ben

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back