Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

my new 997.2

b8575

Silverstone
Been a long time lurker on 911uk but finally managed to bag myself a 997.2 manual. Pretty basic spec but I like it and hadn't seen many with 18" wheels like mine.

All seems good so far but have a little high pitch whine from the rear when driving and not sure what that might be, any ideas would be welcome!

Attachments

• 911__138.png
    911__138.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,809
Welcome to the group , now you have a 911 hopefully you will get more involved. looks like a nice car the 3.6 often came specced with 18" alloys as the is no doubt 18" is a softer more compliant ride. I am sure one of the more technical guys on here will be along to offer advise on what the whine might be, and hopefully quite an easy fix. :thumb: :thumb:

Congrats on the new car. As for the high pitched whine, does it only happen when the Mrs opens her trap, or does it also occur when she's not in the car :floor: :floor: :floor:
3.6 is an under appreciated motor in my book. Enjoy in good health
:thumb:

Thanks for the welcome guys and good spot @Phill997 it is a 3.6, I forgot to mention that.

Unfortunately, the whine is noticeble all the time no matter who is in the car!

Nice ride :thumbs: The standard Carrera is a lovely car. Understated and not loud. I like it for that. Enjoy!

b8575 said:
Thanks for the welcome guys and good spot @Phill997 it is a 3.6, I forgot to mention that.

Ok so we have established the whine is not emotional and more mechanical :grin: :grin: hopefully deMort will see the thread when he gets in from work and offer some thoughts in the meantime I am sure others will also suggest ideas , is it more of a pump failing whine or a suspension /drive component whine than say a belt slipping whine . :?:

Phil 997 said:
b8575 said:

Ok so we have established the whine is not emotional and more mechanical :grin: :grin: hopefully deMort will see the thread when he gets in from work and offer some thoughts in the meantime I am sure others will also suggest ideas , is it more of a pump failing whine or a suspension /drive component whine than say a belt slipping whine . :?:

I can't explain it very well but it sounds like the engine of an electric milk float in the back but much quieter, that sort of whine, maybe transmission related? It might even be totally normal! :D

Edit: will try and get a recording of it tonight, that might be easier

b8575 said:
Phil 997 said:
b8575 said:

I can't explain it very well but it sounds like the engine of an electric milk float in the back but much quieter, that sort of whine, maybe transmission related? It might even be totally normal! :D

Edit: will try and get a recording of it tonight, that might be easier

That would be helpful especially for the techs on here . :thumb: :thumb:

Congrats on the new car - looks lovely.

We're just guessing at the noise, but these cars are rather sensitive to servicing.

Depending on when it was last done, it's worth checking the serpentine belt, water pump, alternator and a/c compressor, along with tensioners.

If you've not already found a local Indy, if you post your location I'm sure we can recommend someone close (ish)
Welcome to 911uk btw 😀

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes, they are much appreciated

I tried to make a recording of the noise but the only thing I discovered is that iPhones are incredibly sensitive to picking up the sound of someone moving the indicator stick :dont know:

the noise doesn't change with revs but doesn't sound like a bearing. I can also hear what sounds like clinking glass coming from somewhere but I have no idea what that is!

I'll just keep an ear out for it over the coming months and if I do find out what it is, will post back.

On the Indy front, I'm based around Oxford so I think I have a few good options around me. I was going to try Wrightune or DS automotive. Autofarm are close to me also

b8575 said:
Thanks for all the replies and welcomes, they are much appreciated

I tried to make a recording of the noise but the only thing I discovered is that iPhones are incredibly sensitive to picking up the sound of someone moving the indicator stick :dont know:

the noise doesn't change with revs but doesn't sound like a bearing. I can also hear what sounds like clinking glass coming from somewhere but I have no idea what that is!

I'll just keep an ear out for it over the coming months and if I do find out what it is, will post back.

On the Indy front, I'm based around Oxford so I think I have a few good options around me. I was going to try Wrightune or DS automotive. Autofarm are close to me also

I see from the garages you mentioned you aren't far from me. I use RPM over near Tring, they have always been great.

Does it do it when stationary or only when moving? And does it go if you dip the clutch?

GlenB said:
Does it do it when stationary or only when moving? And does it go if you dip the clutch?

Seems constant with speed rather than RPM and I only hear it when moving. Definitely not there when stationary. I'll try with the clutch down when moving.

Welcome, looks like a very nice car. The 997.2 is the 911 sweetspot, however that may change to the 991.1 if I ever get one. :D

Whines are usually either water pump, belt tensioners or alternator bearings or similar... but these all tend to be rev dependent so your issue has me baffled🥴

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back