Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Level Reset Help !!!!!!!! -----------------

-- 997 --

Hi all, i carried out an oil change over the weekend and filled up with 7 liters of oil to be carefull not over filling, to reset the oil level counter ibfollowed instruction on the attached picture below, and shows me 1 bar on the oil level flashing allthough theres 7 liters of oil.

Am i doing something wrong? Is it correct with the information below on resetting the oil Level?

Cheers

J

Attachments

• 20191020_115939_20191104151719696_660.jpg
    20191020_115939_20191104151719696_660.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,255
I think your answer is in point 5 of the picture.
The 7 litres will have filled the majority of the oil sump and it now needs gradually topping up to full, by 0.4 litre increments.

The gauge actually only shows the "top up" area not the complete oil tank.
So keep adding oil in batches until the gauge shows it is climbing "up the neck" so to speak....

Porschekit said:
I think your answer is in point 5 of the picture.
The 7 litres will have filled the majority of the oil sump and it now needs gradually topping up to full, by 0.4 litre increments.

The gauge actually only shows the "top up" area not the complete oil tank.
So keep adding oil in batches until the gauge shows it is climbing "up the neck" so to speak....

Hi, ok so theres 7 liters of oil already in the engine, the oil level bar shows up on one bar and flashes, at least it should show just over half way then pour oil increments untill it reaches to the full mark !!

Cheers...

J

Follow steps 4 and 5 adding about 0.2 litres at a time.

Be careful not to overfill. Leaving it one bar from the max level will be fine.

T8 said:

T8, would i need to do it from the start then, run engine to temp the follow the steps ? Or just from 4 to 5?

Cheers

J

It should take at least 8.5 lt in total

I knew there was no dipstick and you had to use the display, but what an incredibly dick way of having to do things. No wonder Porsche charged me so much for an oil and filter change hahaha.

Seriously, what was wrong with the dipstick invention?

-- 997 -- said:
T8 said:

T8, would i need to do it from the start then, run engine to temp the follow the steps ? Or just from 4 to 5?

Cheers

J

As long as your oil temp is around 90, you don't need to mess around with 20 mins idleing each time. You have to let the electronic dipstick do its countdown. If oil is not up to temp it will tell you.

Personally I would stop at one bar under max. Monitor the level when back from a drive. Top-up if necessary. When you check the oil level, always do it with car in the same place. (I check mine a couple of times a week when I've parked in my garage after returning from work)

"Personally I would stop at one bar under max. Monitor the level when back from a drive. Top-up if necessary. When you check the oil level, always do it with car in the same place. (I check mine a couple of times a week when I've parked in my garage after returning from work)"

I would agree,BUT, make sure it is flat. A tilt of only a few degrees will alter the reading significantly. I too would run it 1 bar down, measured cold because hot it then reads full.

GlenB said:
I knew there was no dipstick and you had to use the display, but what an incredibly dick way of having to do things. No wonder Porsche charged me so much for an oil and filter change hahaha.

Seriously, what was wrong with the dipstick invention?

I have to agree, it is an idiotic solution to a problem that doesnt exist - a dipstick is much easier :thumb:

Hi, ok this is what im getting!! Picture below, it flashes at first bar deaoite having 7 liters... at least it should show me the 7 liters mark on the level etc.. muat be doing something wring here... before oil change it gave me correct reading!!

Bloody baffled!! :? :? :? :?

Cheers..

J

Attachments

• 20191105_082654_274.jpg
    20191105_082654_274.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,966
Jam911 said:

As above.....if you're not getting a reading and you've only put 7 litres in then keep putting oil in as 0.4 ltr increments until it starts registering up that scale....you could potentially be 1.5 litres short....

Porschekit said:
Jam911 said:

As above.....if you're not getting a reading and you've only put 7 litres in then keep putting oil in as 0.4 ltr increments until it starts registering up that scale....you could potentially be 1.5 litres short....

Hi, am sure the guage can read 7 litres which above the half way line at least etc....

Cheers

J

You are treating the gauge as though it reads the whole quantity of the engine - it doesn't
The total capacity is 8.5ltr. Add .5ltr and repeat the oil check ensuring the car is on flat level ground and see if the gauge rises by 1 bar.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back