Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C2 *** - iris blue 993, anyone here?

badlands

Montreal
Dropped my car off at well-known indy this morning for its annual service and our cars are spitting image, even down to the turbo twists.

Having seen your car, think I'm going to switch the ambers back to clears at the front - less retro, but looks classier.

:thumb:

If the well known Indy is in St Albans and the reg of the car ends in FRX then that's me!! Nice to "meet" you

I personally don't like the ambers as it's too retro for the car's shape but that is of course just my opinion

I bought the car almost 6 years ago from another 911uk member and he had done almost all the work it needed. It has bene nigh on flawless in all that time including two trips thorugh Europe!

Currently trying to diagnose why it misfires/struggles to start when it sits in rain. Once it has warmed up the issue disappears but it's annoying to say the least.

Unfortunately the indie can't seem to rpeeat the issue - any suggestions welcome......

PS is that photo of your car at Brands Hatch from the recent PCGB gathering there? I was also there but in my 05 Boxster S - brilliant fun

Thafrix said:
If the well known Indy is in St Albans and the reg of the car ends in FRX then that's me!! Nice to "meet" you

I personally don't like the ambers as it's too retro for the car's shape but that is of course just my opinion

I bought the car almost 6 years ago from another 911uk member and he had done almost all the work it needed. It has bene nigh on flawless in all that time including two trips thorugh Europe!

Currently trying to diagnose why it misfires/struggles to start when it sits in rain. Once it has warmed up the issue disappears but it's annoying to say the least.

Unfortunately the indie can't seem to rpeeat the issue - any suggestions welcome......

Sorry to barge into the conversation, but I'd be very interested to hear what anyone else has to say re misfires/struggling post-rain. Tends to happen on colder/damp mornings when the engine is cold and at around 2-3k revs for me...I am flummoxed!

Bingo.

That is exactly it. It has a new distributor, (less than a year old), full injector overhaul done at the same time, the ignition leads appear ok (according to Indie), it is not a DME issue, the car is maintained regardless of cost etc

Mine will sometimes bog down at about 5k revs too once I am in second gear

To be honest it is rare it is left outside overnight as it is not a daily driver, but I do use the car throughout the year for trips out of London etc and during these wetter/damper/colder months the problem appears but only intermittently.

Extremely frustrating

That sounds exactly the same as mine.

Mine is a daily, and it is annoying on those colder morning starts. As you say, it only happens every now and then though and so is very frustrating to explain to mechanics who've not been been able to replicate the issue and thus can't really investigate.

Sorry to hijack also, but I'm also suffering this problem. Changed caps, rotors, and hr leads, and seemingly fixed it for while. But it's returned. Cars not a daily but regular weekend use; so currently under a cover. Need to get this fixed!

FWIW I've finally got this fixed! It my case it's been the knock sensors that have failed. Apparently a super, super rare occurrence - but it's done the job. Hope this helps others who've had a similar seemingly super rare problem.

Hi Jitstar- thanks for that. Did yours also only big down occasionally? Will look into that!

Jitstar thanks for the update on this issue - not sure if my indie checked the knock sensors but will find out

Can I please just check how your problem was manifesting itself? Was it random misfires or was it specifically when left outside in the wet?

Many thanks

Hi guys. So my issue was manifesting itself after being left out in the rain, or during heavy rain.

The car would start normally then the car would misfire and then stall, and also not rev out until the car got warmed up - 10-15 minutes of running.

I left it garaged, after being caught out in the rain but then it wouldn't rev past 5k, and would also have stalling issues.

Had the knock sensors done, and it's back, but alas after being outside in the rain the original problem has returned. Got the car garaged, and it's running smooth and revving out, so leaving it there for drier day to take out and see how it is.

It's had new dizzy caps and rotors, ht leads, plugs, knock sensors, coils. Fuel pressure and flow rate have been checked, and the state of the cats. It's a problem that has stumped some very highly regarded indies, and it's obviously very frustrating!

It's been suggested it could be changing to an RS style wing that lets in more water - but I recollect it happening a good few years back after heavy rain with the original wing and then disappearing again for years.

Definitely a water ingress problem - but just need to figure out what it's hitting and affecting.

Til then I'll leave it until Summer to get back on top on as I'm currently doing a lot of work to another car, so will shift my focus.

Sorry for the long diatribe - let me know how you guys get on - I'll let you know if I make any other discoveries.

It could be the crank position sensor. Mine was 'crushed' and the various symptoms, frustratingly irregular and difficult to repeat, assured an almost impossible diagnosis.
The good doctor (my superlative engineer) diagnosed and fixed.
The car has not missed a beat since . . .

HPNer said:
It could be the crank position sensor. Mine was 'crushed' and the various symptoms, frustratingly irregular and difficult to repeat, assured an almost impossible diagnosis.

Christian?

Indeed so.
The man's a genius!

HPNer said:

HPNer can I ask - was it manifesting symptoms when it got wet or did it misfire regardless of whether wet or not?

Many thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back