Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To hibernate or not..

Mookin

The 996 that is, not myself, although tempting at times.. My 996 is not my daily driver, just use for fun and kicks as much as I can. I have access to free dry long term storage(no regular access, need to commit to a few months) Paranoid about all the winter wetness n salt and thinking of storing for the winter months as I did with my old 924. Kept outside on my drive, as no garage, for the rest of the year. Your views please n thank you.

...mine has just been garaged for the winter when I will complete a few jobs ...no joy for me driving it around in the salty shite ..

It's never done mine any harm.

NATfl26.jpg

Mine always hides in the garage from the end of November until Spring, this time round I'm considering (and likely will) use a storage facility so that I have the space in the garage over the winter.

:grin:

tqpK0uv.jpg

Ooh the annual 'don't hibernate your car you pussy' thread!

:wack:

Dammit said:
Mine always hides in the garage from the end of November until Spring, this time round I'm considering (and likely will) use a storage facility so that I have the space in the garage over the winter.

Perhaps talk to Impact .. no affiliation as they are a seperate business .

I could understand hibernation if it was a £100k E Type, but a sub £20k 911 hardly seems appropriate.

However, I'm lucky to have a garage for my occasional used car and you can often get some great dry and very sunny days over the winter period to have a blast!! - in my case with the roof down!!

Ha ha mixed messages there! Top pics Alex. Think I'll go mid way and just hibernate for a couple of months.. cheers everyone.

Was thinking about it with mine but only as I have a heap of bits to fit so will do it all at once.
Drove it all through last winter, we do get pretty harsh ones where I live so not overly keen to use it given the rear arches getting a little crusty.
Im going to use it as a good time to remove undertrays and other bits to get them all coated and protected. If I get this done quickly then I'll get it back on the road for sure.

Attachments

• img_20180216_183916_779.jpg
    img_20180216_183916_779.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 2,409
isysman said:
Ooh the annual 'don't hibernate your car you pussy' thread!

:wack:

:grin:
Too right.

I hibernate mine. It's sorned from the end of this week. I'd hoped to give it a final blast yesterday but man-flu said otherwise.

The reasons have all been listed before on here. If I work hard to buy something special I'll keep it nice for the summer. I get zero enjoyment from squirming about on cold dirty roads, with unpredictable levels of grip and I get even less fun from washing a car in the freezing cold when I could be sat in front of the log burner relaxing.

But we all have our own uses and goals for things. :thumb:

Same here, mines SORNed as of the end of this week, I've barely driven it over the summer so I'll be buggered if I'm driving it over the winter when there's far more appropriate cars to be blatting about in !

It's done nothing but rain here for Months, look at the world Champs cycling in Sept..... before that there was all that rain leading up to the Dam nearly busting its retaining wall near Whaley Bridge, this weekend left all the roads flooded round here and covered in lord only knows what ! And tonight the gritters are out on their rounds........

If it were my only means of transport then I'd have to, but then again I couldn't use it as My only means as it wouldn't be big enough, so it's just sat there, on trickle waiting for the on set of spring...... that and the fact that it's silly season at work and I'm not going to have the time to drive it let alone clean it in the cold, wet, dark dismal months ahead.

Roll on Spring !

Mine stays in the garage where it always stays.

I don't bother with SORN through the winter, I keep all the documentation live. Agree that it's pointless driving about on wet, cold salty roads. Bollox to that. But you do get the occasional cool crispy winter days. And turbo's like a bit of cool air! :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back