Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sold a Boxster.....bought a Cayenne!

golfprorich

Trainee
After nearly 3 years of Boxster ownership I have sold my 986S and bought a 2005 Cayenne S!

Reason for the change was a combination of my iffy back and also needing something to tow a horse trailer with occasionally. It isn't my daily driver so not worried about the fuel costs :what:

I've always done my own spannering however I've used Precision for alignment and bodywork on previous cars and they will be seeing the Cayenne soon...

I bought the Cayenne from its original owner who bought it from Colchester OPC. It had been maintained there throughout its life with no expense spared. Work completed recently of note include the all important coolant pipes, propshaft, air compressor and brakes all round. They hadn't really used the Cayenne much over the last year as kids had grown up so it was due some attention!

So far I have done oil and filter change, replaced tailgate and glass struts, replaced rattly waterpump and refreshed coolant, cleaned all the drains, replaced the fading instrument cluster LCD and refreshed the leather.

My to do list includes both diffs and transfer case fluid changes, fit towbar, clean the wheel arches and get the wheels refurbished.

The paintwork is heavily swirled so next week a mobile detailer is coming to do a paint correction. I don't mind a bit of polishing and I have a DA polisher but I think this is beyond my skill set especially as it is basalt black :D

I want a transmission fluid change done also but will book it in to Precision as I don't particular want to work underneath a running car that weighs 5000lbs on axle stands!

I've had the car a month and really enjoying it, especially as yesterday I did the bypass mod using stainless steel pipe and it now sounds like a V8 should :D

Welcome to the forum young man .. might i assume you have been a lurker here for a bit :?:

I think either what you have done or what has been done by the OPC pretty much covers it ..

All i can add on these is check when the plugs were last changed and if the coils have been replaced .

Front bulkhead drains are the common cause of water ingress to these so hopefully they have been pushed out by now or you have cleared these .. access is behind the front arch liners .

Pictures are a bit of an obligation here with a new purchase :D

deMort said:
Welcome to the forum young man .. might i assume you have been a lurker here for a bit :?:

I think either what you have done or what has been done by the OPC pretty much covers it ..

All i can add on these is check when the plugs were last changed and if the coils have been replaced .

Front bulkhead drains are the common cause of water ingress to these so hopefully they have been pushed out by now or you have cleared these .. access is behind the front arch liners .

Pictures are a bit of an obligation here with a new purchase :D

A pic is incoming!

I didn't realise I'd registered back in April 2017, I went to register this morning and it said I'd already done it :oops: Must've done it to look at or research something!

Bulkhead drain plugs were removed a few days ago, the drivers side was dry but lots of debris but the passenger side has some water pooling. All clear now!
The rears were blocked too, the ones next to the tailgate hinges. I noticed a lot of water when I replaced the struts, there was nowhere for it to as the small drain channels were completely blocked :roll:

Plugs and coilpacks were done about 8k ago so will leave them for now.

I will get it booked in with for transmission fluid change within the next few weeks, what the job time on that?

Also I have a towbar to fit, I have the factory loom and control box so installation is simple enough but will it need any coding? I've read for some people it's been plug and play where others needed coding. It has air suspension if that makes a difference :?:

Thanks for the welcome :thumb:

Attachments

• img_1010_101.jpg
    img_1010_101.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 2,665
Coils will be fine for a long while .. they tend to crack is all .

phone Precision and they will give you a set price for the Tip box oil change .

Towbar and it depends on what system / make you fit .. Porsche system has to be coded from memory .. but its been a while since i fitted one .. 10 years to be exact !

Nice looking car .. i have a soft spot for these :)

deMort said:
Coils will be fine for a long while .. they tend to crack is all .

phone Precision and they will give you a set price for the Tip box oil change .

Towbar and it depends on what system / make you fit .. Porsche system has to be coded from memory .. but its been a while since i fitted one .. 10 years to be exact !

Nice looking car .. i have a soft spot for these :)

I'm going to stop in there during the week to see Mark to order some trim parts so will get a price then :thumb:

Towbar is Westfalia with the plug in loom and control box, no cutting or splicing of wires required. If I get chance this week I'll fit the towbar so if it does need coding I can get it done at the same time as the fluid change.

I am really beginning to like the Cayenne, I wasn't sure at first after the Boxster went but it is just a different driving experience.

I had read plenty of horror stories about bore score but I'm hoping my engine is ok. The coolant was clear when I drained it, there's no blue smoke on start up and hopefully being a well maintained car by the previous owner means there's a few miles left in it yet!

MarkGolf said:
Lovely looking example!

I want to change the gearbox fluid on mine, I keep putting it off but really need to pull my finger out!

Great cars!

Thanks Mark! I really am starting to enjoy the Cayenne, if it wasn't for the fuel costs it would be my daily driver not my 2nd car!!

Looking forward to the paint correction being done on Weds, then I can get the wheels refurbished and it will look spot on :thumb:

does the "s" have the sport button?

Im still getting used to mine , its quite a feat of engineering to have something that can go off road and do 160 mph round a track.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back