Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dateless 911 plate for sale: 911 6WX

Tom Clarke

Hello all, this is a typical first time post selling a registration which I can see from some other threads you all absolutely adore around here.

Many moons ago I owned a 997 C2 which I wish I'd never sold it and miss frequently. Whilst in my ownership I purchased the plate "911 6WX". At the time there were many 911 plates available, most of them were prohibitively expensive or not dateless. I wanted a short, dateless plate which contained 911 and this was the best value I could find at the time.

It's been sitting idley in a draw for many years, but this week I purchased a Williams Clio as a restoration project and decided the 911 plate would be sold with the proceeds being invested into the project.

One of the usual registration websites has valued it at just over £1000. I expect they'll add fees which will bump the listed price up and make it a less attractive proposition to anybody considering it if I have them sell it for me. I know when I was searching every little mattered, especially considering these are purely vanity items.

I thought I'd float it on a Porsche owners/enthusiasts forum before going ahead and having one of the websites list it so that if anybody spots it and wants it they can avoid paying the big companies fees.

I'm happy to consider sensible offers close to the valuation.

Thank you very much for your time reading this, I hope for somebody this is just the thing they've been looking for.

Regards,

Tom.

Surely that should be 9116 WX :?:

:hand:

T8 said:

For the avoidance of doubt the spacing on the rentntion document is 9116 WX. According to diagram 4A in the spacing section of the legislation this should be displayed as four numbers followed by a space and then two letters.

Obviously it's at the owners discretion how they display it. With the constabulary being so over funded and there being so little serious crime to deal with one could imagine doing a lengthy stretch for altering the spacing to make the plate read 911 6WX and as such it isn't advisable.

I'm a kind of modern day maverick, a renegade of sorts. Quite often when travelling at night with nobody else around I'll change lane without signalling. Once I put my fog lights on when there was no fog, just to be cool. As you might well imagine from a rebelious outlaw such as myself, when I displayed 9116 WX on my 911, I chose to space it as 911 6WX, flying in the face of oppressive regulation of the size and spacing of letters and numbers printed onto reflective paper.

I do of course understand that not everybody can be so carefree and brave. Not everybody interested in a registration plate can approach life with such wanton abandon as myself.

As such I should state emphatically that this is a registration plate only for the bold. Only for the bravest of men, or women for that matter! It is 2019 after all. This is for the outliers, the Donald Campbells of the world, the Duncan Hamiltons, for those who don't fear the scorn of passers by, nor fear death, but fear only mediocrity and strangers being able to identify the year of manufacture of their vehicle.

For those unashamedly brazen enough to blatantly defy section 4A of the characters and spacing legislation act, I will consider all sensible offers, but only with proof that you have the mental and emotional stamina to withstand the constant, unrelenting pressure of being an egregious dissident.

The meek need not apply.

Regards,

John Wayne.

T8 said:

For the avoidance of doubt the spacing on the rentntion document is 9116 WX. According to diagram 4A in the spacing section of the legislation this should be displayed as four numbers followed by a space and then two letters.

Obviously it's at the owners discretion how they display it. With the constabulary being so over funded and there being so little serious crime to deal with one could imagine doing a lengthy stretch for altering the spacing to make the plate read 911 6WX and as such it isn't advisable.

I'm a kind of modern day maverick, a renegade of sorts. Quite often when travelling at night with nobody else around I'll change lane without signalling. Once I put my fog lights on when there was no fog, just to be cool. As you might well imagine from a rebelious outlaw such as myself, when I displayed 9116 WX on my 911, I chose to space it as 911 6WX, flying in the face of oppressive regulation of the size and spacing of letters and numbers printed onto reflective paper.

I do of course understand that not everybody can be so carefree and brave. Not everybody interested in a registration plate can approach life with such wanton abandon as myself.

As such I should state emphatically that this is a registration plate only for the bold. Only for the bravest of men, or women for that matter! It is 2019 after all. This is for the outliers, the Donald Campbells of the world, the Duncan Hamiltons, for those who don't fear the scorn of passers by, nor fear death, but fear only mediocrity and strangers being able to identify the year of manufacture of their vehicle.

For those unashamedly brazen enough to blatantly defy section 4A of the characters and spacing legislation act, I will consider all sensible offers, but only with proof that you have the mental and emotional stamina to withstand the constant, unrelenting pressure of being an egregious dissident.

The meek need not apply.

Regards,

John Wayne.

T8 said:

The meek need not apply.

Regards,

John Wayne.

T8 said:

The meek need not apply.

Regards,

John Wayne.

I have no idea why my reply was posted four times, but I think it backs up my defiance of convention and supports basically everything I said :)

Tom Clarke said:
I have no idea why my reply was posted four times, but I think it backs up my defiance of convention and supports basically everything I said :)

Id get your tin hat on :grin:

So you change lanes without signalling :eek: , you state no cars are around as mitigation .......with no consideration at all for the pedestrian who has no idea you where going to turn that you can;t see in the dark :judge:

You put you fog lights on when not needed ....blinding other drivers in the process :judge:

You space the plate illegally so after an accident you caused and there is only a partial registration recorded by a witness it is misleading as to the format ie people tend to remember the format of a registration before the digits, in your case 3 x 3 rather than the 4 x 2 it should be :judge:

Whilst I appreciate the jest of your post it is technical ill conceived ie it shows you don't;t actually know what your talking about and why illegally spacing plates is........illegal :roll:

Plates which require illegal spacing are cheap for a reason :roll:

Good luck with the sale :thumb:

Has anyone on here EVER bought a number plate from an advert on 911UK?

Even the good ones get flak, not that I remember the last good one that wasn't the price of a car.

I sold 981GTS via a forum advert, granted not on here but was snapped up on the PCGB forum.........granted also it was a crap plate and cheap (its all relative) :floor: .......ie a true 3x3 relevant Porsche plate :roll:

In my experience a truly 'good" plate will always sell for strong money relatively quickly but a........not so good plate trying to be something it really is not will struggle :dont know:

Having said all that this is a sub £1000 plate and the OP is asking for <£1000 for it (I think).........just depends if you are prepared to break the law and have to change it for every MOT :dont know:

jonttt said:
So you change lanes without signalling :eek: , you state no cars are around as mitigation .......with no consideration at all for the pedestrian who has no idea you where going to turn that you can;t see in the dark :judge:

You put you fog lights on when not needed ....blinding other drivers in the process :judge:

You space the plate illegally so after an accident you caused and there is only a partial registration recorded by a witness it is misleading as to the format ie people tend to remember the format of a registration before the digits, in your case 3 x 3 rather than the 4 x 2 it should be :judge:

Whilst I appreciate the jest of your post it is technical ill conceived ie it shows you don't;t actually know what your talking about and why illegally spacing plates is........illegal :roll:

In all seriousness, I quite agree altering a plate to squeeze two characters up against each other or represent a character as a different one is not a good thing to do since it makes a plate less readable. In this particular case your argument that people are familiar with 4 x 2 spacing doesn't really stand up since it's such a rarely seen format now that nobody could possibly be "familiar" with it in 2019 and reading 3x3 is no more difficult than reading 4x2.

I think I can tell from the first few responses that this forum is too pedantic a place to bother trying to sell this plate and subsequently it's withdrawn from sale. It'll be on plates for less plus their usual fees and I'll be back on my usual forum where people are a bit more friendly and easy going.

For the record, PFL valued this at £1000 plus their fees. I'd of happily let it go to an enthusiast for way less because most enthusiast groups are full of great welcoming people and I thought it would be nice for somebody to get the change to buy it without their mark up. I can see I was wasting my time though.

Tom Clarke said:
I can see I was wasting my time though.

Because the plate's gash?

To be fair, trying to punt it with incorrect spacing didn't help. And quoting a generic online valuation as if it has any baring on the real world value 'sorta clinched it.

I did enjoy the cut of your jib though.

Tom Clarke said:
jonttt said:

In all seriousness, I quite agree altering a plate to squeeze two characters up against each other or represent a character as a different one is not a good thing to do since it makes a plate less readable. In this particular case your argument that people are familiar with 4 x 2 spacing doesn't really stand up since it's such a rarely seen format now that nobody could possibly be "familiar" with it in 2019 and reading 3x3 is no more difficult than reading 4x2.

I think I can tell from the first few responses that this forum is too pedantic a place to bother trying to sell this plate and subsequently it's withdrawn from sale. It'll be on plates for less plus their usual fees and I'll be back on my usual forum where people are a bit more friendly and easy going.

For the record, PFL valued this at £1000 plus their fees. I'd of happily let it go to an enthusiast for way less because most enthusiast groups are full of great welcoming people and I thought it would be nice for somebody to get the change to buy it without their mark up. I can see I was wasting my time though.

:hand: I did not say they would be 'familiar" with the format as its clearly not a normal format.......I said they would recognise a format ie the human brain finds it much easier to remember patterns / shapes than actual digits/numerals ie they would recognise a 4 x 2 format or a 3 x 3 format therefore by changing the legal layout of the plate where only a partial reg it known you may make it harder to track down ......of course you may not .....I was simply giving you some logic as to why its actually illegal to mis space registration plates as you actually seemed ignorant of the fact when you attrempted to make jest of the fact this plate requires mis spacing .......is that pedantic enough for you...

Ps don;t feel special.......anyone posting for the first time with an obviously inflated price for a 'Porsche" plate gets the same treatment :thumb:

jonttt said:
Tom Clarke said:
jonttt said:

:hand: I did not say they would be 'familiar" with the format as its clearly not a normal format.......I said they would recognise a format ie the human brain finds it much easier to remember patterns / shapes than actual digits/numerals ie they would recognise a 4 x 2 format or a 3 x 3 format therefore by changing the legal layout of the plate where only a partial reg it known you may make it harder to track down ......of course you may not .....I was simply giving you some logic as to why its actually illegal to mis space registration plates as you actually seemed ignorant of the fact when you attrempted to make jest of the fact this plate requires mis spacing .......is that pedantic enough for you...

Ps don;t feel special.......anyone posting for the first time with an obviously inflated price for a 'Porsche" plate gets the same treatment :thumb:

He upped the post count with 4 posts the same :grin: Credit where its due :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back