Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bork potential

Dammit

Paul Ricard
A friend of mine has a 964 C2, manual targa that he's considering selling.

It needs a few bits and bobs - speakers don't work, that sort of thing.

He has said that it leaks a bit of oil on the OS - is this typically something minor that a fresh £0.50 gasket would fix, or is it the precursor to £30,000 of engine rebuild?

Hi Neil,

50p gasket fix. Haha, ever the optimist. :grin:

I used to think like that when I bought my first 911. Green as grass I was. :D

Don't get me wrong you can have some cheap oil leak wins by fitting seals and torquing things up etc but the issue is seals by their very nature are usually sandwiched between two metal things. Hence a strip down of surrounding items.

Cam cover gaskets etc are easy but the main offenders on 964s are the cylinder base rings. Once they go it's a head and barrel off job. So basically everything bar splitting the crank cases.

Easiest thing for you is to jet wash it all off and run it for a while. Or pay someone to do it depending on how hands on you're feeling.
It could be the difference between £100 or £10k.

Oh and get ready for the windnoise in a targa. :D

PS. One last thing. Your speakers not working won't even register when it comes to running a 964. If you think you've spent a lot on your 996, you're entering a whole other world of pain with the Aircooled stuff. :grin:

They all leak oil! - I know of some that even after a full rebuild still weep.

If the leak is top end, cam cover gaskets as an example, cheap and easy fix.

However it could be coming from the bottom of crankcase, this is very common. Your choices then are a full strip down to split the engine and reseal, or you live with it as is.

964 C2 Targas are sweet, although I am bias! :p

Hi Mark, thanks for that - I'm aware the air-cooled world tends to be more expensive, although hope springs eternal for things to be a simple as a 50p gasket.

I'll arrange to take it out for a drive, see what it's like. I imagine that the oil leak will be the full 10k so I'll figure that in.

It's a good price for a 'straight' car. Early 964? If so I'd expect it to have had the engine rebuilt early on to stop the oil leaks. My Aug90 was done at 58k miles! What's the mileage on it?

If the engine is sweet with good compression I'd be less worried about oil leaks (a little seepage can be the norm) and more so on corrosion behind the shark fin sill covers, scuttle, rear trailing wings etc.

The good news is most/all can be sorted but it can come at a cost. :roll:

If it's got some provenance and not too shabby, not steller mileage, no horror stories it'll sell all day at 30 bags

If it's nice in every other way, then it's a fair price. Plenty of cars falling back into that price bracket now though, especially Cabs and Targas.

Will this replace the Merc then Neil. Surely you wouldn't part with the 996?

No, I'd want to keep both and frankly the engine development costs for the 996 likely means that the targa thing is idle speculation really- however my friend suggested I might like to buy it so was thinking it through.

Ah right. I see.

I know the feeling. Its always a shame seeing a nice car move on when you could give it a home.
If it's any consolation though, as I've already said, £40k isn't crazy cheap or anything, so you wouldn't be passing up the deal of the century. :wink:

...agree; if it was bargain cheap but £40k is quite rich given there is a 964 targa on here for £30k and as it's been seeking a home for ages quite possibly available for a few bags less?

Hi
If it is of any help, ours cost approx £800 approx. 3 years ago to fix all the engine leaks at JAZ. All good since

From their invoice, it was caused by: oil pressure cannister plate, PAS drive seals, both front timing covers, front/main intermediate shaft plate, t/chain tensioner plates. some are composite jobs apparently. These will mean more to the illuminati on here than they do to me :grin:

Sounds a lot maybe but really glad we 'bit the bullet'

hope this is useful as a guide

:thumb:

GMG said:
...agree; if it was bargain cheap but £40k is quite rich given there is a 964 targa on here for £30k and as it's been seeking a home for ages quite possibly available for a few bags less?

It's a C2, which I (think!) I'd prefer, the two on sale here are C4's.

Dammit said:
GMG said:

It's a C2, which I (think!) I'd prefer, the two on sale here are C4's.

:hand: It's still a Targa though which is a limited market. If it needs a few 'bits and bobs' I don't see it at 40 bags unless you're going to tell us it's low mileage and has a history file thicker that Sundeep's wallet :dont know:

Dammit said:
1990 with 116k miles.

Reasonable miles. Usually that age the engine will have had a top end rebuild to address the lack of gaskets Porsche decided not to use due to their excellent machining standards :roll: and to let future owners address the oil leaks at their leisure.

Leak down/compression test first then before you buy :thumb: That said top end rebuilds can be had for c£3k :oops:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back