Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Annoying chirp noise

portreathbeach

Silverstone
My 2004 Carrera S which I've owned for a couple of months has this annoying chirp noise when going over rough roads. It seems to be coming from the rear of the car behind the driver. It's hard to describe the noise, it's a squeaky chirp noise like two pieces of metal rubbing.

The strange thing is, it's been doing it for a while, but last night after parking the car for a couple of hours, when I got back in to drive home it hardly made a sound!!! Tonight I drove the car and it also didn't make anywhere near as much noise as previous.

The sound sounds like it coming from inside the car, but could it possibly be some engine or gearbox mount that is making the noise and maybe because it's raining today, the mount is somehow 'lubricated' slightly and not squeaking as much?

It's more annoying that the sound isn't constant as it's gunna make it very hard to find.

Any ideas?

I've got exactly what you describe but in a 996. Goes away completely in the rain and damp conditions. Managed to fix it once, didn't happen again for almost two years!

Can't remember how and it's back again! I think it's something to do with the rear quarter glass and how it's fitted.

Best of luck.

Darren.

I was thinking it could be the glass after reading another internet post about it. But the other night when the chirping was happening, I put my hand back to hold the glass and it didn't seem to make a difference.

But you could be right. Maybe when the glass and rubbers are wet it doesn't squeak as much.

I'll see if the noise comes back on a dry day.

Mine definitely goes when it's wet.. From memory I think I pushed the plastic pipe on a can of WD40 under the rub and gave it a squirt.. have to have another look again at some point as it is properly annoying!

Well, today I did a 120 mile round trip to get the car serviced. It was raining the whole time. Not a single chirp was heard. So I would say that whatever is making the noise only does it when the car is dry. And after talking to the mechanic that serviced the car, it doesn't sound like it could be related to bushes of mounts on the underside. He said it was an excellent example of a 2004 911 S. All of the underside stuff on the car is in excellent condition, all the mounts, bushes, suspension etc.

So, as well as maybe knowing where the annoying chirp is coming from, I now also know I have a solid car. :)

Good stuff, sounds like we have exactly the same chirp.... I know mine isn't suspension either as it's all new and it did it prior to changing it...

Darren.

Attachments

• 8ef449e0_699a_4f74_a1f8_389873d8606a_553.jpeg
    8ef449e0_699a_4f74_a1f8_389873d8606a_553.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2,958
Door seal rubber can make a similar noise ..

Get some Rain X .. wet a cloth with it .. wipe it over the window where it will touch the door aperture seal .. do the same on the door seal and leave to dry.

Old door rubbers go hard and can stick on the glass .. this can cause noises as it vibrates .. worth a try anyways if only to eliminate it .

deMort said:
Door seal rubber can make a similar noise ..

Get some Rain X .. wet a cloth with it .. wipe it over the window where it will touch the door aperture seal .. do the same on the door seal and leave to dry.

Old door rubbers go hard and can stick on the glass .. this can cause noises as it vibrates .. worth a try anyways if only to eliminate it .

Thanks for your help. The fact it goes when it's wet would point towards lubrication to something..

Will give it a try.

Many thanks

Darren.

The chirp may be sorted

OK, it was dry today and that annoying chirp could be heard over every bump.

I got some WD40 and a credit card. I gently put the card between the window and the rubber and squirted a bit of WD40 in. I did this all along the bottom of the window and then squirted some up around the top of the window (without the card).

After another test drive, the chirp has nearly gone. Only did it very very occasionally.

I think that's the cure. I remembered doing the same so I did it again last night, not had time to try it but I do think what you have done is what cured mine.

I'll let you know when I drive it again.

Darren.

Finally found the cause on mine. One of the rear diagonal braces was slightly loose where it bolts to the cil allowing the brace to move on it's fixing, hence the chirp noise.

It sits directly in the line of fire for rain from the front wheels, hence stops with the smallest amount of rain..

Hope it helps.

Darren.

Hi,

I did hear a chirp the other day, so maybe the window lubrication isn't the solution. Where abouts is this diagonal brace you are talking about? Is it the one directly behind the rear wheel?

DJones said:
Good stuff, sounds like we have exactly the same chirp.... I know mine isn't suspension either as it's all new and it did it prior to changing it...

Darren.
That colour is quite stunning!

Scholester said:
DJones said:

Darren.
That colour is quite stunning!

Thank you..

portreathbeach said:
Hi,

I did hear a chirp the other day, so maybe the window lubrication isn't the solution. Where abouts is this diagonal brace you are talking about? Is it the one directly behind the rear wheel?

You can see the two diagonal braces in this photo, it was the one on the right in my case, not the best image unfortunately.

Hope it helps.

Darren.

Attachments

• 9138ff7e_55a7_4a2e_83a6_f83e5e7bd21b_356.jpeg
    9138ff7e_55a7_4a2e_83a6_f83e5e7bd21b_356.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 1,676

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccosh
Back