Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports

Ade_MK

Hi Everyone

I've been seeing increasingly good things online about these new F1s and seem to recall reading somewhere that they were developed along side Porsche.

However I cannot find anything regarding the "N" rating situation about them?

Does anyone have any info regarding their status of "N-ness" :roll:

I'm likely to be in a new tyres situation within the next few months so thought i'd ask, otherwise I will being going for Pilot Sports 4S as I've had them before and found them to be very good 8)

Thanks in advance

Ade

the only Goodyear is the "Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3" which is NA0 Porsche Approved

Porsche tyre approval can be a mystery when a few years back the vastly superior Michelin PS4 Super Sport didnt achieve N rated status

Porsche News said:
the only Goodyear is the "Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3" which is NA0 Porsche Approved

Porsche tyre approval can be a mystery when a few years back the vastly superior Michelin PS4 Super Sport didnt achieve N rated status

Thanks for the reply, you're correct about it being some form of mystery?!?

I'm particularly confused by this one though as I'm sure I read an article in Evo or similar that was almost like an advert for Porsche and Goodyear regarding the development of this tyre range, so much so I assumed it would be "obviously" available as N rated....

Ah well I really should have learnt the lesson about assumptions by now :frustrated:

Yes. I seemed to read that as well somewhere. Super high performance tyre

Hi Ade, the list of Porsche approved tyres for summer, winter and all-season is here in pdf format:

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/tyreapproval/

According to the list the only approved tyre from Goodyear for the 991 is the Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 in 19" fitment.

If you're on 20" rims then the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the tyre to go for - I have a set of these on mine and they suit the car perfectly: excellent grip & braking, ride well and inspire confidence. :thumb:

I've got PS4s all round on my C4s, cracking tyre!

On a side note, what pressure is everyone running now the weather has turned?

I'm getting a lot of scrubbing on full lock and have heard tyre pressure can alter this?

Hi Gilford,

The scrubbing on full-lock that you describe is called 'crabbing' and is partly down to the cars suspension geometry and the width of the front tyres, so it's always going to be there to some extent - it's just that with summer tyres when the rubber gets colder and therefore harder, it tends to skip over the surface to 'unload' the pent up forces.

Reducing the tyre pressure on your 20" summer tyres below 2.2 bar wouldn't really be a good idea IMHO.

If you're going to use the car during the winter, then the best solution would be to fit a set of winter wheels/tyres on 19" rims, these have a taller sidewall than the 20" summer tyres and the rubber compound is more flexible at lower temps - the upshot being more compliance in the sidewall (less crabbing) plus the tyres will offer far superior grip during the cold/wet/snowy weather and provide more confidence.

You can usually pick up a set of 19" winter wheels/part used winter tyres for a 991 for around £,1500 - £1,700 on eBay and if you don't need them or want to store them, you can always move them on next year without losing much.

HTH :)

911Time said:
Hi Ade, the list of Porsche approved tyres for summer, winter and all-season is here in pdf format:

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/tyreapproval/

According to the list the only approved tyre from Goodyear for the 991 is the Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 in 19" fitment.

If you're on 20" rims then the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the tyre to go for - I have a set of these on mine and they suit the car perfectly: excellent grip & braking, ride well and inspire confidence. :thumb:

MPS are great tyres but bizarly only available in 'N' fitment for 991 widebody application (unless you happen to have the 20" Sport Technos on a non widebody car

:oops: Well spotted Sponge :thumb: I forget sometimes mine is a widebody...til I look in the door mirrors :D

What's odd is if you read the approved fitment chart, Porsche appear to have approved MPS 4S for Carrera and Carrera S models on the 8.5x20 front wheels but not on the 11x20 rears?? :dont know:

gilford said:
I'm getting a lot of scrubbing on full lock and have heard tyre pressure can alter this?
This is probably the "Ackermann Effect" which is a characteristic of the steering geometry when turning tightly (ie full lock) whereby the outside wheels are obviously travelling further than the inside wheels which can cause a scrubbing / jumping / skipping effect. It is more pronounced on some cars than others and pretty common on Porsche 911's.

I was in my local OPC on Friday getting 4 PS4S N0 fitted and noticed the brand new 992 they had in the showroom had these Goodyear F1 Supersports fitted despite them not being N spec which I was surprised at as thought you needed to have N spec tyres :?

I find the PS4S have totally transformed the car, I bought a 2018 991.2 GTS that came with Pirellis in August and to be honest was a bit disappointed with the handling but I suspected it was due to the tyres. I found the Pirellis always felt like they were scrubbing/skipping across the surface of the road - particularly the fronts which I thought were absolutely dreadful in the wet and the tyres still had plenty of tread 6/7mm F and 4/5 R but the difference with the PS4S N0 is absolutely night and dad, so much more grip and the car really feels planted now and no more of the sliding feeling. Also been a massive reduction in the crabbing on full lock too.

911Time said:
:oops: Well spotted Sponge :thumb: I forget sometimes mine is a widebody...til I look in the door mirrors :D

What's odd is if you read the approved fitment chart, Porsche appear to have approved MPS 4S for Carrera and Carrera S models on the 8.5x20 front wheels but not on the 11x20 rears?? :dont know:

I sometimes wonder if it's a mistake and the rears are actually available :dont know:
I'm stuck with the truly terrible Pirellis, dangerous in the wet, good job Herman's a dry weather Porsche :grin:

They list the rears on the 11.5 rim, just not the 11.

Thanks for all the replies and information gents :thumb:

So it seems like they're definitely not N rated yet but quite possibly soon if they're fitting them from the factory on the new 992?

Then i guess we into the minefield of if the new sizes align with our older model sizes for more N rated options to be available to us...

Ade

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back