Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Radial shaft (driveshaft) oil seal leaking NOT RMS or IMS

SYHR

Hi All,

First post so be gentle. I've just recently had my drive shafts off as I need to replace the rear shocks, I'm now about 150 miles down the road after putting it all back together and tonight I spotted a significant amount of 'gearbox" smelling oil forming a puddle.

This is not coming from the bell housing pretty certain it's the radial shaft, but I didn't remove this when replacing the shocks just took the drive shaft off via the six bolts and pulled away once loose.

So question is could doing this damage the seal ? And has anyone replaced it? The seal looks to be about £3.50-£10 but I'm a bit worried on the sensitivity of removing the old and putting in the new.

I see loads of posts on IMS/RMS but no guides on this one.

Can anyone help? If it went can it be done in situ or do I need to dismantle to same extent as replacing shocks.

Cheers
Chris

You don't say which model you have so i'm basing this on a 986 .. 987 i assume would be similar .

logically there is nothing you have done which has caused this but a picture of the fault would help a lot if possible .

To change the diff driveshaft seals then you do indeed need to get the drive shafts out of the way .. images below .

Attachments

• 2_1_147.jpg
    2_1_147.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 3,484
  • 1_1_100.jpg
    1_1_100.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 3,484
Thanks for a great response and guide. Sorry mine is a 987 2.7 8)

My local Indy quoted just over £100 parts/labour included, for the hassle and the fact they have all the special tools sounds good value, so off she goes into the shop.

Thank you again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back