Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight Refurb - What am I doing wrong?

Winny911

So I have refurbed my headlights twice now on my 996 once myself and once by a body shop. Both times they looked like new after a quick rub down and polish up finishing using finer grades of wet and dry and then a polishing compound.

The problem is they only seem to last about a year before they look rubbish again. Have I missed something? Should they be coated with something to protect them? If so what?

I thought paying a body shop to do them they would last longer than my DIY attempt but no same result and it only lasts about 1 year to 18 months max

So what am I doing wrong?

Winny

A top coat/lacquer to prevent UV light breaking down the plastic.
Halfords do a good heavy duty PU lacquer that adheres well to freshly sanded-down headlights. HTH!

What Rob said.
Get some UPOL clear #1 from halfords
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/p...h-repair-paint-restorers/upol-clear-1-aerosol

It's a bit different to normal lacquers, so don't skimp and get a cheaper one. I can't remember what makes it different. Smells pretty nasty though, do it outside!

I tried to put multiple coats of this on, but kept getting orange peel- so just kept with one coat. It's as good as new after 4 months. That was the first time I've done it though, so it should last a long time but I cant confirm that.

Yup, you need to coat them, clearcoat paint being the best, didm one 5 yrs ago and still look perfect.

Thanks guys

Thought it would be something like that but I'm surprised the body shop dident coat them after I paid for the second refurb. Looks like I'll be doing a third refurb myself with this stuff

Cheers
Winny

Last time I did mine I put PPF on worked a treat cost about £20 from eBay

That's interesting could be easier than spray. Is it as good at stopping uv?

If you pick up a can of UPOL Clear #1 from your local auto shop, or online it, wet sand to 800 or 1000 grit level and rip into it, you will be very very happy with your project.

Warning, at 800/1000 grit they will look milky in colour, but clear instantly when you paint them :) If the clear coat has sections that look a different sort of milky white after you spray then hit immediately with a hair dryer - it will clear up within seconds.

You may need to wet sand 800/1000 after if you get an orange peal effect and then polish, but the above paint is very good at not doing this

DON'T polish them to perfect then clear coat, nothing for the paint to stick to.

Has anyone gone 1 step further and changed the projects to something like Evo-X? Mine are starting to show their age with the light pattern getting narrower with strange hot spots on the far sides.

Too far gone?

Hi All,

New here but came across this thread very quickly.
My question is, how do you know if your headlights are beyond saving?
Mine are really milky, slightly over rubbed too 😐 from a previous attempt.
I've tried loads of polishes but to no avail.
£1500 at least for a set of used ones on eBay, so keen to save these.
Ooh, and can you fit litronic lights etc (brighter ones) in whatever form to a standard car?

Cheers in advance,

Rich. :dont know:

Lightronic's fit straight in, I'd recommend wrapping them rather than painting them to get the amber look back (if that's important to you).

35587809111_7907467468_b.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back