Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which model....911

krishcanag

Trainee
Hi all

I am thinking of changing my 718 GTS to a 911 and I am thinking of a Carrera GTS or Carrera 4 GTS or 2014 GT3 or the future option is the coming 718 gt4 with pdk.

Which is the best arounder but for me the Carrera GTS looks the least impressive on the outside.

100k budget

Krish

Your money, your choice. Only you can be right, surely?

Got to be GT3, surely?

That's a pretty hefty budget, the word is your oyster really...

100% GT3

:grin:

I would go drive a GT3 and a GTS if it was me, you could get a very nice GTS gen 2 or an older 20k mile Gen 1 GT3 for that budget. GTS could be a manual or a PDK, the Gen 1 GT3 only has the option of PDK !

The NA cars sound epic and certainly provide a lot more theatre to a drive. A GT3 is probably the more special car on paper and visually and probably a trip to NA world is what you are seeking after the 718. The GTS Gen 2 has the 3.0 turbo engine which in unison still sounds pretty good, I was pleasantly surprised. The Gen 2 GTS would have a lot more punch low down due to the turbos / increased torque and would be very usable on the road. The Gen 2 cars also have option of rear steer and have the updated interior tech. Both cars would be great on track, even the 4GTS !. The turbo cars are no slouches and well worth a drive!

I guess what / how you intend to use the car will determine what you go for. Both good cars, albeit from a different point of view.

Your money, your choice.

Well the car is my Weekender... during the summer want to use it more and enjoy it now the 718 gets at least 34mpg but I drive it fast and in sport mode most of time so it's in the 20's. Now if I drive a GT3 fast will I get a figure around 14mpg 😂😂, on 5k miles a year it's a factor but a minor one. The main thing is a car that stands out for fun. That's what I am looking for..the 718 GTS is so much fun without the icing and we all know why 🤪.

However, I have also wondered in 40years time will it be the collectors car more than the others except the 981 gt4 will be more for sure.

Krish

I went through the same decision earlier this year after narrowing it down to the 991.2 GTS or the 991.1 GT3, with the same approximate budget as you have. I also tried the 992 but preferred the 991. The GT4 would have been tempting except I need room in the back for my Weimaraner (she loves going in the 911).

Driving them both I felt that the GT3 was more of an event - it probably felt a bit more special. The engine sound was great. I'm not sure if the novelty would have worn off though as intended use was more frequent than you have described. I also felt that I'd be chasing the red-line for the sound, plus there really wasn't anything happening below 5,000 revs. I probably could have lived with it, but in the end I went for the GTS as I felt it might be better on a daily basis and it had the more advanced PCM. The extended guarantee on the GT3 engine is also coming to an end fairly soon if I remember correctly and there have been plenty of issues reported.

I use mine quite a lot, into Europe from time to time, to the office, out and about - almost daily. I've also taken it on the track and it performed very well.

Ask if you have any questions that I might be able to help with. I assume you have driven them both.

Thanks, good reply. I have not driven either yet with bad weather or away on work.

I have done some research and the E and F engines had the issue on the GT3.

There is also the coming GT4 RS will I be able to order one?

These are the unknown as it's Porsche...

Really annoying.

Krish

Take your time and definitely take some out for a drive. Keep us updated!

krishcanag said:

Krish

As long as you're well into double figures with new car orders at the same OPC, then just possibly?

Kryton said:
krishcanag said:

Krish

As long as you're well into double figures with new car orders at the same OPC, then just possibly?

*****....the 718 was my first Porsche so it's a no then...but will be able to get a ex demo ?

Else it will be either a GT3 or the GTS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back