Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HEL brake hoses

Counter Of Beans

Hockenheim
A little update for you. I was looking into stainless / braided lines for my 1995 993 C2, and had the following conversation with HEL:
Me: "do the POR-4-200 fit my car?"
HEL: "yes indeed"
Me: "OK I'll order a set then"

Several days later.......
Me: "is my order on its way?"
HEL: "No, but can you send us some photos of your car's brakes?"
Me: "err, no, sorry I need some ASAP"

So it looks like they don't do a standard 993 set after all. I'll probably go with OEM lines or perhaps the Techna-fit ones from the USA. Not massively impressed with HEL's attitiude either, I'm afraid. They didn't bother telling me they couldn't supply, and didn't seem to know there's two different types of fitting for 993's depending on the age of the car.
Anyone got a set of Techna-fit lines for a 1996 model year 993 that they wish to sell?

It was a couple of years ago but I think I had a similar conversion with HEL. Apart from the fitting issue (!) I was very impressed with them. I took a chance & ordered from HEL. Result: fitted no problem, even my mechanic mate who did the work & has high standards was happy with the hoses.

I was anticipating fitting these before my next MOT in May, was hoping to fit goodridge

HEL are far better quality than Goodridge. They have stainless fittings. Iirc the fronts are the same early or late it's the rears that are different or perhaps it's 4wd. They will make custom fittings, I found them very helpful in making a pipe for the clutch remote bleed.

Hi

Whenever anyone suggests SS brake lines it makes me think back to my Lotus days and the many frayed and corroded sets I ended up throwing away.

My advice on this particular item is just go for OEM or Porsche.

Berni

berni29 said:
Hi

Whenever anyone suggests SS brake lines it makes me think back to my Lotus days and the many frayed and corroded sets I ended up throwing away.

My advice on this particular item is just go for OEM or Porsche.

Berni

Berni, is that because aftermarket lines don't fit very well? Or have you just seen poor quality materials/assembly compared to genuine Porsche?

I fitted braided hoses to a couple of my previous cars and in both cases the fit was a little bit out, whereas the lines themselves were very good, and didn't fray or corrode.

I fitted Goodridge hoses to a Mk1 golf over 20 years ago and they're still on there now, to my knowledge they always sold themselves as Stainless Steel brakes, I guess they've changed to a lesser spec over the years, I'll have a look at the HEL ones tho, which I remember them starting out on the car market as they were asking for people to send in their brake lines so that they could make up sets to order.

Hi

I'm really not sure what got them into such a sorry state as I used to get the cars, chassis or brake sets with them already fitted. I think it was a combination of the harsh environment, some mechanical damage from poor or incorrect fitting and just the effects of time.

Personally I still think the standard ones are superior.

Berni

berni29 said:
Personally I still think the standard ones are superior.

Any of the mechanics I've asked about this agree with you and have been dissuaded from going down this this route.

Interesting, thanks Berni and nickjonesn4..........Nick, presumably you meant that the mechanic has dissuaded you from specifying aftermarket ones?[/b]

Counter Of Beans said:
Interesting, thanks Berni and nickjonesn4..........Nick, presumably you meant that the mechanic has dissuaded you from specifying aftermarket ones?[/b]

Yes exactly. Persuaded to go with new OEM lines instead

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back