Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ims bearing!

911lagoongreen

Hi I'm new to the forum and just bought my first 911 997 2's,it's in stunning condition with 32,000 miles and full service history,it's an early 2004 model and I'm petrified of the ins issue!!should I just get it changed and any recommendations where to get it done would be much apreciated

Welcome along.Just drive your car and forget about IMS issues..
:thumb:

Bore score is your biggest worry but thats another conversation :mrgreen:

Thankyou for reply,so to keep on top and better safe than sorry what should I expect to be doing maintenance wise?regular oil changes/checks?

This forum is probably the richest vein of knowledge for water cooled 911's on the internet.Use the search box and you will find an answer to pretty much every question that is watercooled 911 related.

Ok .. i'll be honest and say what i think here ..

2004 has the smaller IMS bearing fitted .

You are worried as you have stated .. that in itself is grounds to have an aftermarket IMS fitted .. if only to make you feel happier and confident to drive the car , something i often tell customers . i can say it's probably going to be fine but if you are that worried then you need to do something about it .

The usual mileage for a failure was about 40 K miles back in the day .. it's rare to see one these days but a Boxster a month ago on 42 K let go .. we rebuilt it .

I don't wish to scare or push you in any direction .. i'm only saying what i have seen over the years .. this is basically my opinion and you take from it what you want to .

If your car had done 60K then i wouldn't even be posting.

I also realise i'm in disagreement with many of my forum colleagues here but i feel duty bound to post what i think .

If you give me the money it costs to replace your IMS bearing, if it fails, I shall pay for a rebuild :thumbs: :wack:

If it doesn't I keep the money :wink:

Thankyou for all your replies it's much apreciated!yeh I think its for piece of mind more than anything that I was thinking of doing this but have no idea on pricing,I was guessing possibly around the £1,000-£1,500 mark,but honestly all your advice is very helpful and apreciated

Replacement ones fail just as much. Save your money for one of the other 108 things that could go wrong with it.

Alex said:
If you give me the money it costs to replace your IMS bearing, if it fails, I shall pay for a rebuild :thumbs: :wack:

If it doesn't I keep the money :wink:

😂😂🙈

You could (should) take the rear seal off the bearing if and when you next take the gearbox out (new clutch?)

Best advice yet ^^^^^^^^^

I've seen this mentioned a few times now re the Oil seal removal from the IMS bearing, what does this do exactly ?

I'm thinking it releases tolerance or let's it weep but I'd just like to know for sure, thanks

It lets the bearing get lubricated by the engine oil rather than the old grease sealed inside. Also keeps it clean so the bearing can't started grinding itself away.

See process of removal here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=108552

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back