Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help! Drenched passenger side carpet in 2014 Cayenne...

mrcharliechan

Silverstone
Admittedly after pretty biblical rain but... footwell soaked...

Hoping just blocked drains, any hints/tips appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Done a little search and will try and clear crap from drains. Any other tips appreciated...

Assuming the 2014 is the same as the other Cayennes and i'm pretty sure it is then the bulkhead drains are blocked .

There is no access from up top , look over the front wheels and the back part of the arch liner .. use a mirror to look backwards behind the liner .. bottom of the bulkhead and there is a rubber grommet each side .

Effectively you are looking over a front wheel , at the arch liner and approx in line with the brake pipe .

You can't get your fingers to it but a screwdriver and you can stab it and pull it loose .. this way you have a large hole instead of the rubber mouse trap .

On a ramp and we undo a few liner screws , pull it back and reach up to pull it out .. you WILL get wet this way though !!!

Grommets are the same for most Porsches .. so a 996 / 997 and its either side of the battery .. same item different car is all .

You'll need to dry out the carpet though .. couple of images of an early Cayenne and the rotted out wiring from water ingress over time .. carpets are a huge spong basically and never dry out .

Open image in a new tab ( right click ) for a larger image .

Attachments

• p6230001_162.jpg
    p6230001_162.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 2,702
  • p6230006_612.jpg
    p6230006_612.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 2,702
Thanks for coming back. Appreciated. I had a look under the plastic trim just forward of the windscreen by the PAS (I think) reservoir looked like there was a bit of crud down there but it was getting dark.

We've had biblical rain and I my son said he felt the water dripping onto his foot so I'm hoping it's come from the top and not soaked the carpets through - it's certainly the first time Ive noticed it.

With regard to the drain holes is access easier if I PASM the car up to its highest setting? Can I then undo the liner screws?

Yup .. car in the highest position will help .

I'm afraid i have no pictures to help you .. only a poor description but hopefully it will point you in the right direction .

The fall back .. remove the arch liner then you will see it .. but that's a mission so a mirror , a good light and hopefully you will see it .

To remove the liner you need the car on stands and the wheel off .

Early cars and probably the later ones had an air con pipe / grommet that can come loose .. that will also cause water ingress on the passenger side but it doesn't fit your description of the fault .. hence i dont feel its this .

Windscreen is again possible .. but also again it doesn't fit your description .. bulkhead drains are the only ones that do .

It's not going to be a total blockage .. more a restriction . hence it took a downpour to leak .

Not sure if they are different but I cleared the ones on a Gen 1 car after water ingress as you have experienced. No need to remove wheels, wheel on full lock, just undo rear screws on the arch liner and you can just about get in and clear the rubber drain tube, the ends are flat and easily block up, not a bad idea to cut the last 10mm off so everything just drops out.

Sooo... I set the car in the top PASM position and full locked the wheels, took a few wheel arch liner trim screws out and manipulated the liner and held it open with a big maglite - this is the rear of the front passenger wheel arch btw.

I couldn't find the end of the drain tube... maybe I didn't look hard enough or far enough up but I was also a bit nervous poking about and likely bottled it.

The bottom of the wheel arch liner was wet so i figured a bit must be draining through. I lowered the car and removed the cover and drip tray from under the bonnet (top right corner by the gas strut) and had a fish around with my hand...

I pretty much pulled out a compost heap of decaying mulch, at least two handfuls. I could feel the top of the drain tube was blocked so gently picked away at the blockage which came up rather than going down the drain tube. A big glug and a load of water piled out behind the front wheel. A couple of litres of clean water to flush through and (touchwood) all seems clear. I may have got away with this!

Will inspect more regularly as Autumn is here now and do the Targa also...

Thanks DeMort as always.

If you are under the car and pull this grommet you get soaked .. as you said a lot of water and i have been drenched in the past lol.

I tend to say do it from underneath as its a mission to get at anything from the top.

IMHO .. remove these dam grommets .. an inch sized hole with it removed and it will never block .

Not the best design in the world and all to stop mouse intrusion .. which they don't .. sigh .. little buggers find other ways into the car .

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=135710

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back