Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitted grilles where they should have been?

Lee997

Monza
Finally got round to stripping the front end off the car and fitting grilles.
Although the £200+ cost of readymade ones is quite reasonable when weighed off against the cost of a new rad after a stone strike but it's not a difficult job and mesh is readily available.
Fortunately my brothers garage where we are normally repairing, rebuilding or restoring historic race cars as well as general servicing of just about anything else was empty this weekend due to the fact they were supporting a car at Spa, I took advantage of a nice empty workshop and set about stripping the front end down, good opportunity to clean out the debri built up in the rads and a lick of paint on some rusting brackets before fitting the grilles and reassembling.

Finished article looks dammed good and has a practical use as well.

They do look very good, not as obvious as the Zunsport ones.

Did you get a large pile of debris out of the nooks and crannies?

Lee. Can I ask where you sourced the black mesh?

I need to do mine and I'm not a fan of the Zunsport ones.

Grilles

easternjets said:
They do look very good, not as obvious as the Zunsport ones.

Did you get a large pile of debris out of the nooks and crannies?

Hi, yes a fair amount, only owned this car 6 months and although have a vast detailed history wasn't aware it's had a rad replaced on one side as such didn't hav3 as much debri in between the two rads on that side.

Carefully removing the rad securing screws and lifting the front rad forward there's enough room to get a soft vacuum nozzle and or brush to clean out,

Re- the mesh I sourced on amazon (really cheap) £10 for 1mtr x 13" which is enough for 3 grilles.

DerbyJim said:
Looks really good Lee!

What did you use to secure the mesh on?

As it happens the design is such that once you have folded the edges of the mesh over the inside when it's put back together the radiator shouds sand which the mesh in place however I used a good helping of blobs of glue from a craft hot glue gun! There fasterned solid and not going anywhere!

I have to say a few months back i had to fit a grill kit that a customer supplied .

It didn't fit very well , it had large holes and i was unimpressed with the finish and quality .

The fine mesh and fitted as you have done to your car looks better and has far smaller holes .. it's a more labour intensive that what i fitted but a better end result i feel and so worth the effort.

Maybe not if you were paying someone like me to fit it though :)

I will say .. get your Brother to buy a trestle .. far easier to work on a PU when its at waist height :D

Nice garage though .. a clean floor says an awful lot about a garage .. trust me .. i know , i haven't always been a Porsche mechanic !!

deMort said:
I have to say a few months back i had to fit a grill kit that a customer supplied .

It didn't fit very well , it had large holes and i was unimpressed with the finish and quality .

The fine mesh and fitted as you have done to your car looks better and has far smaller holes .. it's a more labour intensive that what i fitted but a better end result i feel and so worth the effort.

Maybe not if you were paying someone like me to fit it though :)

I will say .. get your Brother to buy a trestle .. far easier to work on a PU when its at waist height :D

Nice garage though .. a clean floor says an awful lot about a garage .. trust me .. i know , i haven't always been a Porsche mechanic !!

Hi Demort, your right about the trestle, he's got some but a bit lower.

Got to keep workspaces clean far easier to find things and who wants to work in filth when you don't have to?

Lee.

Ok, technophobe alert. Why are the pics blurred? And how can I see them clearly?

MR997 said:
Ok, technophobe alert. Why are the pics blurred? And how can I see them clearly?

I see the same issue - I believe it's a photobucket site limitation. Probably works okay if you also have a photobucket account.

But if you don't and you tap on the photos, it brings you to the photobucket site. But then (on iOS) you get hit with pop up spam saying 'you're a lucky winner..."

A solution is for the OP to actually attach the photos as opposed to trying to embed them.

see my thread on this problem, posted in '996 FAQ' section

The thread is called: Newbie viewing photobucket images

I have been advised of a fix when viewing the site using 'chrome'.
This works ok.... see the post for the link required.

...but i am still hoping someone can help me see these images when using an ipad (IOS). Somebody says they think there is a fix but then doesn't provide any further help or direction.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT VIEWING PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WHEN USING AN IPAD?
(please excuse me for hijacking this thread, ... neat fix for the air intake problem, btw)

I bought a Lotus Europa quite a number of years back, it had engine overheating issues that I traced to the mesh in front of the rad having corroded to the extent that the holes in the mesh had considerably reduced in size and thus restricted the airflow... Not suggesting that any Porsche owner would allow things to get to that stage BUT..? Cheap mesh might corrode quicker than plasticised or properly coated kit.. :?:

Just thinking in type..

Nope, tried it in google browser ans still blurred. Viewed on an android phone and perfectly clear?

Brilliant. I have ordered from Amazon.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back