Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S Purchase Help

philnotts99

Hello,

I have been looking on Autotrader for a while now at the 996 C4S's, particular in Black, Grey and Silver but with prices ranging from 20k - 35k, i am a little lost on which one is going to be the sweet spot to buy and i guess not loose a load of cash!

Some of the higher priced cars have been for sale for ages but don't seen to be coming down in price.

So i guess the question is, which one would you buy!? :?:

996 C4S Purchase Help

Thank you,

Phil

For me it would have to be the one with the aero kit for £20k but that's just because aero kits rule

The price variance is primarily down to the miles the cars have done.

If you're going to use the car I wouldn't pay the low mileage premium and would concentrate on finding a mid-mileage car (eg c60k) with good history at a sensible price.

If you're not planning to add many miles then a low mileage pristine car shouldn't go down in value too much - other than the difference in £££s between 'trade' and 'retail' of course.

Hi, we will have one for sale in next couple of weeks.

Lapis Blue
Manual
New clutch, flywheel and IMS bearing.
Wheels refurbished as new.
Full Porsche service history, just had Major at Porsche Wilmslow.
2 owner car.
40k miles.

Mike

Hi Phil,

Echoing some of the points made already. Mileage is the main driver for the price varience.

In terms of spec, having purchased mine 4.5 years ago I would say that:

Sports seats
Litetronic
PSE (Sports switchable exhaust)
Manual

Are the best options/spec to have.

Items to check on: Bore Score have a full Pre purchase inspection/buy from rep. dealer with warranty.

General maintenance items to check on:

Radiators/Condensers - £800 and Mesh grills to prevent damage
Suspension refresh - every 10 odd years £3,000
Clutch - 50k-70k miles £1,000
RMS - Gearbox out so £1,000
Disks and Pads £800/£1000
Exhaust rear boxes/Catalysts - £1,000 - £2,500 dep. on spec

As you can see, you can easily buy a "good one" and spend £5,000 in the next year on general maintenance, so check what has been done. I would hate to buy a £27-30k one, and then get hit with £4-£5k in the first year or two.

Market is flat at the moment, mine has been on sale for 9 Months:

https://www.portiacraft.com/car-detail.php?id=2752

Looks good value against some of your current choices. FSH. Just had new Top Gear switchable ear boxes to replace OEM PSE £1,400, and £3,000 suspension refresh, New Clutch 10,000 miles ago. New RMS £1,000 5,000 miles ago.

They are great cars and a good one will serve you well over the next few years. I cannot think where you can get such a great driving experience for less money, and I am sure that 996 prices will continue to hold firm/ go up slowly over the next five years.

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I will check out the link, is this on SOR with the garage?

Thanks,

Phil

Can i ask the sound difference between the PSE and the Top Gear exhaust that is now on there?

Thanks,

Phil

paulstevens64 said:
Hi Phil,

Echoing some of the points made already. Mileage is the main driver for the price varience.

In terms of spec, having purchased mine 4.5 years ago I would say that:

Sports seats
Litetronic
PSE (Sports switchable exhaust)
Manual

Are the best options/spec to have.

Items to check on: Bore Score have a full Pre purchase inspection/buy from rep. dealer with warranty.

General maintenance items to check on:

Radiators/Condensers - £800 and Mesh grills to prevent damage
Suspension refresh - every 10 odd years £3,000
Clutch - 50k-70k miles £1,000
RMS - Gearbox out so £1,000
Disks and Pads £800/£1000
Exhaust rear boxes/Catalysts - £1,000 - £2,500 dep. on spec

As you can see, you can easily buy a "good one" and spend £5,000 in the next year on general maintenance, so check what has been done. I would hate to buy a £27-30k one, and then get hit with £4-£5k in the first year or two.

Market is flat at the moment, mine has been on sale for 9 Months:

https://www.portiacraft.com/car-detail.php?id=2752

Looks good value against some of your current choices. FSH. Just had new Top Gear switchable ear boxes to replace OEM PSE £1,400, and £3,000 suspension refresh, New Clutch 10,000 miles ago. New RMS £1,000 5,000 miles ago.

They are great cars and a good one will serve you well over the next few years. I cannot think where you can get such a great driving experience for less money, and I am sure that 996 prices will continue to hold firm/ go up slowly over the next five years.

I clicked the link expecting to see a high mileage 996C4S for that price but mileage is very sensible. Market is a little up and down, good cars will always find buyers. Biggest problem I can see with that car is the interior colour. Prior to us selling cars I offered cars for sale to traders to either purchase or SOR and anything like your cars interior the answer was always NO. They have been stung before and had a car for months. We have sold a 996 Turbo this month, a 996 C4S 4 months ago and have another C4S in prep at the moment. All safe colours with sensible interior colour. The red just puts a lot of people off. Good luck with the sale, there will be someone out there that likes the combination. It's just finding that said individual.

philnotts99 said:
I am finding prices really up and down.

The C4S with the red interior is only 10k more miles then the below but £5,000 ish less!?

As S&C has already explained a lot of this will be down to that interior colour.

If you concentrate your search to a more specific mileage range and decide which colour combo you particularly like you'll find the variance in asking prices less confusing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back