Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Targa

RedRob

Trainee
Hi Guys,

I have not posted on this forum for some time, I am looking to get back into a 964 in the near future and have my heart set on 964 2 Coupé, I have looked at a few cars recently but too much money considering how you still have to spend to get them in tip top condition. I saw a Targa at the fair mile last week and liked it, I know the roofs can leak but other than that how would a 2 wheel Targa drive like compared to the 2 coupe if both had subtle suspension and braking upgrades.

Roof needs to be adjusted properly or it will be really noisey,however you can still do all the usual suspension upgrades similar to any other 964

Hi, I am more interested in the driving experience, is there any scuttle shake or flex in the chassis, just wondered if the Targa hoop tightens things up.

Hi
We have had our 1990 C4 for just over 8 years now - 5 years ago when 9M fitted the 993 6 speed gearbox and front diff, they also fitted the Bilstein B6/progressive H&R springs that I bought from Gert. It had already been 'polybushed' There is no noticeable scuttle shake at all as far as we can tell - it is rock solid and squeak free

Good luck with your search :thumb:

Attachments

• picos_2018_118.jpg
    picos_2018_118.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 5,923
snb993, Very nice pic, your Targa looks superb too.

Never owned a Targa though in much of the reading material I have consumed over the years it seems the thinking was that the Targa was more susceptible to body flex than the coupe which seems logical..? That being the case would cause me to wonder if original springing and shocker settings might have been a tad less stiff than the coupes..? With that in mind I do wonder that lowering stiffening suspension, fitting polly bushes as opposed to more compliant rubber, fitting taller wheels with necessarily reduced profile tyres to maintain the rolling radius, any or all of which might exacerbate body flex issues..?

Just thinking in type, claiming ZERO expertise. :?:

Hi
Yes that was my viewpoint as well until I started digging into part numbers/ spring rates/shock absorbers etc.

H&R actually list the same part number for all body types which is good news as the wide accepted #29813 spring (was green but is now blue) is exactly what I wanted in terms of height, progressive rate and matched to the B6. It definitely doesn't behave like a 'roofless coupe'

:D

(apologies for using another (lesser) site :oops: for the spring rates table quote)

Attachments

• handr_springs_29813_415.png
    handr_springs_29813_415.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 5,877
  • 964_spring_rates_954.png
    964_spring_rates_954.png
    277.6 KB · Views: 5,877

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member