Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Petrol/Fuel smell coming from exhaust 987.2 Cayman

jm195

Hi all,

Today I drove up North London about 25miles, all good no issues, on the way down however I noticed a lot of raw petrol/fuel smells coming from the car while sitting in traffic, windows open.

Having parked the car on my drive once I got home and trying to work out what it is, I have checked underneath for drips but nothing, I have an exhaust bypass pipe which was leaking some black oil near the weld, fuel cap was on tightly, but once I started up I could smell petrol quite strongly and it was coming from the exhaust. On first startup I also smelled burnt oil but not since.

Does this sound like anything serious or obvious as to what it could be? Does it sound like a fuel leak?/ is my car safe to at least drive to nearest garage?

After some reading it sounds like the car is running rich and maybe I've got a failed O2 sensor but nothing comes up on dashboard..

Appreciate any replies :)

jm195 said:
I have an exhaust bypass pipe which was leaking some black oil near the weld

That is probably a small leak in the exhaust and when the exhaust is cold water that has condensed in the metalwork is leaking out. The same water gets spat out of the tailpipe after a cold start. Nothing to worry about.

Not sure what to say about the petrol smell but worth getting codes read to see if the ECU thinks anything is amiss. When is the next MOT due - exhaust measurements could reveal all.

:agree: ref the " oil " .

Petrol smell .. difficult .. to get it from the exhaust would indicate a pretty poorly running engine .. you will get an eml if its running that rich .

First check would be a fault code readout followed by a check of the fuel trim values with a tester.

A fuel leak ... well i've not seen it but it would drip onto the floor when stationary .

Im kinda thinking carbon canister area .. i know that's at the o/s/f wing but that's where i would be looking .

Rule of thumb ... with petrol then it's best to get it checked out by a garage .. it may be nothing .. but its a sensible approach to take .

Started up today to see if smell was still there, apart from oily smell on cold startup which went away, didn't get the strong petrol fumes like yesterday.

I did notice my oil was quite low (bottom of the bars on oil check meter), so topped it up about 750ml. Wondering if possibly that has anything to do with it.. Car is due for MOT and oil change in late December.

Had codes read 2 weeks ago to diagnose some drive off assistance, unlucky if something happened since then, will make sometime this week to take it to a garage however to see...

Thanks for replies so far.

I can't really see the oil being 1 ltr down could cause this i'm afraid .

Temp does make a huge difference on parts though ... perhaps it needs to get hotter .

Drive off fault .. often it's the brake pedal switch thats gone faulty .. it's a double switch and one side activates slower than the other .. or not at all .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back