Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CTEK 997.1 comfort indicator install.

C4Silver

Sao Paulo
It's that time of years again, and having only recently acquired the Elfer I've decided to install the charger / conditioner, I've used these before on other vehs, I just have this thing in my head where I've read something regards NOT disconnecting the battery specific to a 997 and to install the connectors in a manner where by the loop must be cut to a prong and slid behind a loosened but,

I bought off eBay and the actual connecter is M8 not M6 ?

I can't find the link,

I intend connecting and then exiting the tray over the battery and fixing the indicator LED connector to the under side of the frunk with a few tabs of Velcro.

Thanks,

Mine is connected directly to the battery and when in the garage I remove the battery cover and lay the comfort connector rearwards to the wipers, close the bonnet (frunk..whatever) and connect the CTek up. No issues, no hassle.

From what I remember when i did mine the Nuts on the 997 battery terminals are captive , i.e. if you try to remove them completely to put a ring terminal on they will have stripped the thread!
Hence you need to change the ring terminal to a "C" shaped prong so it can be slipped in once the terminal nut is just loosened.
I just nipped a piece out with tin snips the CTEK terminals are quite soft metal.
:thumb:

Stucart, that was it ! Nailed it :thumb:

I knew there was something and remember making a mental note, it was the captive nut, the post had pics of the C shaped prong and it did slip under the captive nut so that the one use only nuts didn't need replacing.

Thanks !

You can remove and refit the nuts, but it's best to avoid that.

Do 997 have AGM batteries :dont know: I recall DeMort informing us NOT to connect the Neg of the battery conditioner direct to the battery terminal but use and earthing point otherwise the car is unable to monitor and vary the charge to the battery via the alternator :?:

:thumbs:

That's the one, I remember the dremmell...... I was going to Bob a few nuts on the end ? To lock the connectors on or should I just do the C clip thing ?

just take a piece out of the ring the same size as the diameter of the shaft and you're away.

There is some information written that states complete disconnection and then reconnection can upset PCM!

The method to avoid causing issue :

Fuse panel right hand side drivers footwell. There's a red tab (takes a hard pull to pull out).

Connect a slave battery source to this point ( could probably use the C-tech itself).
Earth to chassis somewhere.

Then safe to disconnect main battery without risk of spiking the PCM.

The above method should also be used under the situation of having a flat battery which will enable access to the trunk to get to main battery.

Lee.

Or just dremmel a piece out of the ring connector and avoid disconnecting the battery :FYI:

You can snip the connector with side cutters and not use a Dremel at all.

DONE ! :thumb:

Snipped the tin connectors and bent them thro 90 degree to sit better as shown in photo's on jonttt's thread.

Litterally a 2 min job, the LED Connector is loose just under the lid of the frunk on the scuttle tray, it emitted a red warning flash and i spent the next hour looking for my CTEK charger to no avail.....

:dont know:

The LAW according to sod :floor: :floor:

Magic919 said:
You can snip the connector with side cutters and not use a Dremel at all.

:hand: a Dremmel is much more dramatic and fun

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back