Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to 911

Giggs

Hi everyone, first post here, I have recently fell in love with Porsches's 911 from the styling to the engine and handling. What I don't love so much is the price so I am sticking to the 997 for now, as a complete novice to the 997 can I get a few pointers in;

Which model to go for?
Which engine is the most reliable for its power?
What can I upgrade?
What options are important?
Are these cars DIY'able?

Sorry for a lot of questions and probably more will follow I am just completely new to the 991 world. Thanks for any help.

Some idea on budget would be useful to see if a Gen.2 997 is a possibility; also,do you prefer manual or auto ?

About £25k, also I prefer auto with paddles I'm not sure if that was a thing on the 997 if not manual will do.

Auto 997.1 have buttons on the steering wheel to change up/down, you can retrofit paddles from a Merc AFAIK, the later 997.2 come with a PDK gearbox and paddles.

Are they DIYable? - depends on your ability, but essentially they're a car the same as any other

What can I upgrade? - most things, depends on how far you want to go!

What options are important? - again, that would depend on what's important to you, e.g. I wouldn't have bought a car without heated seats but I'm sure others would!

IMO, you're looking at a good rebuilt 997.1 for that sort of money, you're a bit shy of the amount needed for a 997.2 which are the more reliable model (engine), they seem to start at around £30k - if you can stretch to that then I think the general consensus would be to go for the 997.2.

997.1's sometimes suffer with bore scoring, leading to them requiring an expensive engine rebuild - if I was you i'd either buy a car at the lowest end of the market (around £15k) and keep some money back in case you need to fork out for engine work, or buy at around your £25k budget making sure the car you've bought has had a decent rebuild and enjoy (which is what I did with mine, same budget as yours, it's been a fantastic car). You should be able to find a nice rebuilt 997.1 for £25k.

Giggs said:
About £25k, also I prefer auto with paddles I'm not sure if that was a thing on the 997 if not manual will do.

With that budget, you're really looking at Gen.1 997's, not Gen.2, so upto about 2007/8. On Gen.1's, the auto/tiptronic box comes with buttons on the steering wheel, not paddles, so probably a manual car for you.

Some Gen.1 cars suffer with bore-scoring or possible IMS failures, so with £25k, you should be able to find a car which has had a re-build done by a reputable Porsche Indy such as Hartech. For a non-rebuilt car, make sure it has complete service history and always get an Inspection including a bore scope check done by a reputable party. Cars from model year 06 have a larger IMS bearing so less likely to fail.

As for model, you have C2 with 3.6 engine and then the C2S with 3.8 engine and more extras as standard, both plenty powerful enough for normal road use. Nice extras include Porsche sports exhaust and sports chrono which I think is more beneficial on the auto car.

You really need to try and drive a few different cars to see what suits you best, but always check service history and get an inspection done, because if you buy a dud, it can prove very expensive ! Also, cars after March, 2006 come with the bigger road tax.

Good luck.

In that case I think I will hold out for 997.2, thanks for all the info.

Is there an options list for 997 somewhere so I can see what I want to look for?

Scratch that, I think I will get a cheaper 997.1 and save the money for an engine rebuild as suggested, I just wouldn't be able to drop 30k+ on a car.

Giggs said:
Scratch that, I think I will get a cheaper 997.1 and save the money for an engine rebuild as suggested, I just wouldn't be able to drop 30k+ on a car.

Might be worth going onto Autotrader and searching for 911's, 2004 to 2007 and enter 'Hartech' or 'rebuild' in the Keyword field, that will usually bring a few cars up; for £25k, you should be able to find a nice Rebuilt car.

Yeah, don't necessarily be put off by the 997.1, they're awesome cars that are starting to become really good value for money due to the possibly blown out of proportion internet horror stories, you just have to be clever with what you're buying.

Engine rebuild on a gen 1 997 will be in the region of ten grand. I wouldn't touch one without the engine already rebuilt by Hartech.

There's plenty of rebuilt autos around as they're most susceptible to bore scoring.

From what you've told us something like this would be top of my list:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908241492426

That looks like a clean example, is the rebuild a permanent solution or is it something that will prolong the life of the engine?

If Hartech have done it and depending on what's been done it should be pretty bombproof and in a better state than the standard M97 engine.

Alex said:
Engine rebuild on a gen 1 997 will be in the region of ten grand. I wouldn't touch one without the engine already rebuilt by Hartech.

There's plenty of rebuilt autos around as they're most susceptible to bore scoring.

From what you've told us something like this would be top of my list:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908241492426

Well specced, well priced, great colour, up in the years, great model, recent Hartech rebuild - doesn't get much better than that, if I was in the market I'd be all over it.

Please don't tar all Gen 1s with the same brush ,its only a few of the early ones with the smaller IMS bearing had the problems and a lot of them replaced as piece of mind fixes As already said the 06 onwards had the larger bearing fitted and 25k you will get a nice one ,just make sure its got history and service records which is very important the right oil etc

The 997 is the best car out there ..............and will go up in value at some point

Happy hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back