Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GTS to 991.1 GTS - experiences please.

leasky

Monza
Good evening all.

I am contemplating moving to a 991.1 GTS (PDK 2WD) from my current 997 GTS (PDK 2 WD) and I was wondering if anyone here has gone the same path and what your findings were?

Thank you in advance,

Colin.

It was a gap of just over four years from the time I moved my 997 GTS manual on to my getting into the 991.1 GTS PDK last year. I had ownership of the 997 GTS for about three years during which time I had put on 16k miles, did the odd track day and toured to and from and around Italy.

Between then and now I was playing with a couple of 997.2 GT3's and a 997.2 PDK Turbo.

The GTS DNA was instantly recognisable when I climbed behind the wheel of 991 last year although the most noticeable differences were the upgrades and improvements to the cabin layout, electronic handbrake :nooo: and side door storage areas notwithstanding.
Turning the key to fire up the engine still carries that immediate bark into life that it's predecessor had. Can't say I found that little bit of joy present in other 911's I've had including those mentioned already. (The GT3 offers something completely different from its engine.)

I found the step up in improvement of the later PDK to be quite marked.
So quick and incredibly smooth. Can't really comment on auto use because I have and still do always keep it in flappy paddle manual mode, and sport too. Keeping it in sport mode negates the annoying stop/start feature.

Driving the 991.1 is more relaxing when needed and yet rolls its sleeves up when you want it to. It turns in that bit sharper than the 997, accelerates more quickly and has twenty two more horses shoved down its trousers. The exhaust note is intoxicating and, while not everyone's cup of tea, blips on downshifts in sports mode.
It feels more nimble than the earlier model yet the weighting feels right at the wheel.
Climbing up through the rev range brings all the focus and emotive feelings that one had in the 997 but more so in the 991.1.
I haven't regretted having it for one second, apart from the electronic handbrake which is simply a dreadful thing in my view.
If I were to be moving back to a 997 I would be looking no further than the GTS, but I prefer the 991 far too much to even consider a change.

OP - try and get yourself into one for a test drive. If we lived a bit closer then I'm sure we would be meeting up so you could see for yourself.
Each to their own about what it is that makes one's boat float but for me it's my current steed.

Anyway, enough waffle from me. It's off to Austria on Saturday for a short blast around the Alps.

Thank you very much for that detailed, extensive and honest appraisal; I am even more convinced to get one now. :)

Enjoy the Alps and safe driving :thumbs:

As P zero, although mines an S it has the GTS 430 engine, PDCC and ceramic brakes. It's a riot and I never get tired of the noise. The best engine in a 911 bar the GT3. The tweaking is good old fashioned tuning and all contributes to the sound. A bigger car than a 997, yet lighter and much more nimble, it feels hugely quicker, the only let down is the steering, everything else is just perfect, a decision you won't regret! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back