Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Considering buying a 993 - any opinions / guidance on this:

M@r]{

Hey guys. I'm embarrassed to admit I know little about these cars but found myself falling in love with the following car on Autotrader. It is quite heavily modified which I actually like, but nervous as I know so little and want to avoid falling into a money pit. Anyone know this car? Have any advice/opinions on it?

Same goes for this dealer, not dealt with them or heard of them before, anyone had any dealings with them?

Thanks in advance

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908181280314

A Gemballa Turbo conversion :what:

you will need to inspect this 24 year old car closely

Blimey, that 2nd one's a real head turner, I like that myself, the wheels on both cars look the same, the Weisach Gold really compliments the Coupé,

I'm not an expert, Y any means but I'm pretty sure I could 40k for the Coupé, I'd not be into it for any more as the mileage is a bit steep 'for me"

The service book and file would have to stack up, previous MOT's recent work etc, I've not read anything about it but it looks like a well cared for example and it should go for more to be honest,

Pity there are no photos of the engine bay or any further details of the engine conversion for that Gemballa - surely that's why you'd be paying a premium for that car. That said, second car looks a better bet if you're not particularly after a big power car.

The OP car definitely needs engine bay shots and more text detail. Looks great, could be great.

The second car is too mixed up for me with the rear spoiler (Techart), side skirts (RS) and front (standard) all being from different kits plus a steering wheel that has to go! Air con needs re-gas...I bet...and the rest. However, it's price realistically at the moment. Good starting place, I guess.

An elderly Frankenstein car based around the less desirable cab platform. Even at £45k, you'd struggle to ever recoup your spend on that, should you decide to sell in the future. If you want to enter the macabre world of 993 ownership I'd look to buy a car from a member here. Most of the longer term forum zealots have lavished time and money on their cars to an eye watering degree. They all talk about how committed to ownership they are, much like a group of medieval clerics, but secretly many of them would be relieved to get out.

There's often a 'I'm thinking of selling but" type thread on here, which is usually how an owner seeks to send a clandestine message seeking for a way out. Jump on one of those threads and relieve a current owner of their burden.

I agree with what Highway says; in fact, that's what I've just done. I've just bought a C2 993 from a forum member [993C2fan]. He'd owned the car for 13 years and has spent a lot, and I mean A LOT, on keeping it in very nice condition.

There's more to do - there always is on 25 year old cars like these 993's. But to echo Highway, go for a cherished example from a forum member. Why not create a wanted ad on here? With summer coming to an end, now is a good time to buy and it's a buyers' market.

M@r said:

:hand: .......the old 'needs a regas" :grin:

First one could be an unusual / unique car but agree with the comments of why would you not put up detailed pics of the turbo / engine conversion :nooo:.......it's no longer a '993" to me as the market does not accept much variation from stock but as I say with a different remit it could be an interesting car :dont know:

highway said:
An elderly Frankenstein car based around the less desirable cab platform. Even at £45k, you'd struggle to ever recoup your spend on that, should you decide to sell in the future. If you want to enter the macabre world of 993 ownership I'd look to buy a car from a member here. Most of the longer term forum zealots have lavished time and money on their cars to an eye watering degree. They all talk about how committed to ownership they are, much like a group of medieval clerics, but secretly many of them would be relieved to get out.

There's often a 'I'm thinking of selling but" type thread on here, which is usually how an owner seeks to send a clandestine message seeking for a way out. Jump on one of those threads and relieve a current owner of their burden.

Oh the irony :grin:

I'm not qualified to advise on either of these cars. If you want a 993 I'd either buy from a long time poster here who's looking to move on. Alternatively buy from one of the reputable independents. Hopefully They only sell fairly good cars as their reputation depends on the cars they sell.

I bought from RPM Technic. A lot of money had been spent on it. I've spent plenty more in 2 years of ownership. It's been worth it as I'm currently driving it in Hungary for 2 weeks. Drive here was good and so far it's doing well. A mix of driving in fields more suited to Land Rovers then immediately on their motorways where you have to drive over 100mph if you want to venture in the outside lane without holding people up.

I'm going to driveling on about this Hungary trip for ages. You've been warned...

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back