Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 26 days as a GT3 Owner

991.2GTS

Imola
The GT3 was my dream car, and after just 26 days of ownership, that dream turned into a nightmare. Just as I was rounding a bend on the A170, just east of Helmsley.

It was Bank Holiday Monday. The weather was perfect and I had been enjoying an early morning drive. I went up through the Dales, before crossing to Stokesley and descending to Helmsley via Chop Gate.

I left Helmsley on the A170 and passed through Beadlam. Then, as I exited a corner, the backend just went. I completely lost control of the car, and it veered off into the opposite carriageway, before returning again to the left side of the road. It repeated that again, as I, and the car, fought to regain traction and control. I immediately stepped off the accelerator and tried to steer as best I could. The car eventually came to rest a little further down the road.

It was still quite early, so the road was quiet. And that particular stretch of the A170 is quite wide, so I managed to avoid hitting the kerb on either side. Had it been a narrower road, or there had been oncoming traffic, things would have been very messy. If it had been a tighter corner, or I had been travelling at greater speed, I might have had to post this through Doris Stokes, via Derek Acorah.

Thankfully there were no casualties, apart from my undercrackers. So after coming to a rest, I took a few moments to gather myself then got out and started to examine the car. Everything looked fine, then I got round to the rear passenger side wheel. There was clearly something broken. The wheel was angled inward, with metal filings and shavings littering the inside of the alloy. On closer inspection, there was also a mangled piece of metal sitting just behind the brake pad. My heart sank.

I made the dreaded phone call to Porsche Assistance and then sat for 90 minutes waiting for the AA to turn up. Luckily the weather was bob on, so I could at least top up on vitamin D.

To the AA's credit, when they did eventually show up, it was a flatbed truck. And the wait wasn't without it's lighter moments either.

A bloke passed me in a battered C2. He slowed, wound down his window and shouted 'You should have bought a Citroen mate', before pissing himself and driving off.

Then some old timer stopped, he was from a village just down the road. He asked me if I needed any help, and then offered to fetch me both food and drink. I politely declined, but he wasn't done. He spent the next twenty minutes regaling me with stories that mostly focused on how ineffective the local policing was.

And finally, some kindred spirit in a 991.2 GTS, with the reg plate 'GO II PUB', stopped to have a nosey. He tried to share my pain by telling me about the problems he'd had with a previous C4S. And he was positively nonplussed to hear my theory that the rear axle steering had gone, as that was an option on his GTS.

I eventually got home some six hours after the incident, and by that time I was thoroughly ***** off with the whole affair.

Tuesday morning came and sleep hadn't lightened my mood. I'd lost all confidence in the car, no matter what the problem turned out to be. So I sent an email to the OPC explaining as much, and rejecting the goods as not fit for purpose.

They came back to me quite swiftly, and apologised. By noon they had confirmed that a bolt had sheared off on the rear axle steering, resulting in a 'catastrophic failure'. They said it was the first time they had ever seen this happen on any car with rear axle steering.

There was no suggestion of a repair. They happily accepted full responsibility and confirmed they were making arrangements to refund me in full. They also agreed to refund me the costs of £712.28 incurred for tax, Insurance, private registration transfers and tracker subscription.

I also raised two further issues, one regarding the p/x part of the deal to buy the car and, given the nature of the failure, some form of compensation. The Head of Business at Leeds OPC, Simon Filer, was quite dismissive on both points.

To expand on the p/x issue, I agreed a lower p/x price on my Macan GTS as they agreed to lower the price on the GT3. But as I pointed out to Simon, I no longer have any benefit from a lower priced GT3. Therefore, the difference between what I wanted, and what I accepted on the Macan, is a cost.

The full cost of the car was refunded to me on 30th August. However, the further costs have not been refunded to date.

I have delayed posting this tale of woe, as I wanted to give Leeds OPC a chance to do the right thing. But alas, car dealers don't seem to be able to help themselves. So now I'm playing email tennis with Simon, in which he's very responsive, like Roger Federer on centre court. But his insistence that the payments are being made, is somewhat negated by my bank balance being £700 or so lighter than it should be.

In light of their service, I've also requested they return the £1,000 deposit on my 'pre-order' for a Taycan. This was also agreed, but again, there's no sign of that money either.

It's suffice to say, I won't be nominating Simon and the gang at Leeds OPC for an Auto Trader Retailer of the Year award, or referring anyone to them for a new or used Porsche. I've given them seven days to pay up, or it'll be down the County Court route.

In regards to the car itself, after the nature of the failure, I'll probably never buy a used GT car again. The craziness of the GT market gives me absolutely no confidence. In this instance the previous owner had a free car for 18 months. There was little or no incentive for him to look after the car. For all I know, it may have been tracked within an inch of its life. And the failure may have been a result of the stress caused by an owner who knew he could abuse it for 18 months, then hand it back without losing a penny.

And I've no doubt Leeds will simply replace the broken parts and happily sell the car on. So, if you're in the market for a Crayon 991.2 GT3, ask about the rear axle steering!

So, yes, I'm upset. But that engine noise will live with me for a long time. And if all I ever get is 26 days with one of these machines, then I suppose that's something. Even if it currently feels like nothing.

Here's some pics of our final few hours together...............

Attachments

• 008gt3_209.jpg
    008gt3_209.jpg
    829.1 KB · Views: 7,576
  • 007gt3_775.jpg
    007gt3_775.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7,576
  • 004gt3_139.jpg
    004gt3_139.jpg
    724.6 KB · Views: 7,576
G I'm gutted for you mate. That's a terrible read in relation to the car failure. I was looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. Good luck in getting the financials sorted.

Glad you didn't hit anything :thumb: must have woken you up a bit.

How many miles are on the car?

What a nightmare. Not what you want to happen.

I'll be totally honest though and say you're giving up on it a bit easily. Things break and it could have been worse but it wasn't.
As for the deal, you were happy with it or you wouldn't have done it. It's your choice to reject the car so I can't see them upping their p/ex price retrospectively for you.
Same for compensation. What can they compensate you for if they've refunded your tax, Insurance, etc.
You got a fright but can't be mentally scarred.

I had an alignment done before my roadtrip 4 weeks ago. Half way through my trip at the furthest point, Italy, my car started handling strangely. Back end swaying all over and felt like it was going to spin.
I couldn't see anything so carried on, despite it feeling like it was going to throw me off the side of a mountain pass.
When I got home I glanced at the rear tyres. They were through to the wires.

Both rear toe adjuster bolts were loose and that ate my tyres in 3500 miles.
What do I want? Well I'm going to have it realigned on Monday with the bolts hopefully tightened this time and we'll discuss what they're going to do about my tyres.
I was raging when I realised what they'd done (or hadn't done rather) but I don't want compo or anything. It spoiled the end of my trip and could have killed my wife and I but it didn't, so I'll sort the car and move on.
I won't give up on a great car because of it.

Good luck getting your compo but personally I'd just move on. Life is too short.
Just my 2p obviously. :thumb:

991.2GTS said:
I also raised two further issues, one regarding the p/x part of the deal to buy the car and, given the nature of the failure, some form of compensation. The Head of Business at Leeds OPC, Simon Filer, was quite dismissive on both points.

To expand on the p/x issue, I agreed a lower p/x price on my Macan GTS as they agreed to lower the price on the GT3. But as I pointed out to Simon, I no longer have any benefit from a lower priced GT3. Therefore, the difference between what I wanted, and what I accepted on the Macan, is a cost.

Sorry to hear your tale of woe. :eek:

It sounds to me that Leeds OPC have done the right thing in refunding you without quibble. I suspect that the £700+ for other things has to be cleared through a higher level and that this is what's causing the delay.

Regarding the p/x issue I can't see that you've really got a case although I do sympathise with you feeling the way you do. As I see it you negotiated a deal to purchase the GT3 at a price you were happy with. You've returned that car and got your money back.

With regard to 'compensation' :dont know: . Nobody was hurt so I'm not sure what case you could make.

Good Luck though. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
What a nightmare. Not what you want to happen.

I'll be totally honest though and say you're giving up on it a bit easily. Things break and it could have been worse but it wasn't.
As for the deal, you were happy with it or you wouldn't have done it. It's your choice to reject the car so I can't see them upping their p/ex price retrospectively for you.
Same for compensation. What can they compensate you for if they've refunded your tax, Insurance, etc.
You got a fright but can't be mentally scarred.

I had an alignment done before my roadtrip 4 weeks ago. Half way through my trip at the furthest point, Italy, my car started handling strangely. Back end swaying all over and felt like it was going to spin.
I couldn't see anything so carried on, despite it feeling like it was going to throw me off the side of a mountain pass.
When I got home I glanced at the rear tyres. They were through to the wires.

Both rear toe adjuster bolts were loose and that ate my tyres in 3500 miles.
What do I want? Well I'm going to have it realigned on Monday with the bolts hopefully tightened this time and we'll discuss what they're going to do about my tyres.
I was raging when I realised what they'd done (or hadn't done rather) but I don't want compo or anything. It spoiled the end of my trip and could have killed my wife and I but it didn't, so I'll sort the car and move on.
I won't give up on a great car because of it.

Good luck getting your compo but personally I'd just move on. Life is too short.
Just my 2p obviously. :thumb:

I'm only chasing the £700+ they agreed to refund and the £1k for the Taycan. As regards the p/x and any further compensation, I think they should do something, but I accept they probably won't.

991.2GTS said:
The GT3 was my dream car, and after just 26 days of ownership, that dream turned into a nightmare. Just as I was rounding a bend on the A170, just east of Helmsley.

It was Bank Holiday Monday. The weather was perfect and I had been enjoying an early morning drive. I went up through the Dales, before crossing to Stokesley and descending to Helmsley via Chop Gate.

I left Helmsley on the A170 and passed through Beadlam. Then, as I exited a corner, the backend just went. I completely lost control of the car, and it veered off into the opposite carriageway, before returning again to the left side of the road. It repeated that again, as I, and the car, fought to regain traction and control. I immediately stepped off the accelerator and tried to steer as best I could. The car eventually came to rest a little further down the road.

It was still quite early, so the road was quiet. And that particular stretch of the A170 is quite wide, so I managed to avoid hitting the kerb on either side. Had it been a narrower road, or there had been oncoming traffic, things would have been very messy. If it had been a tighter corner, or I had been travelling at greater speed, I might have had to post this through Doris Stokes, via Derek Acorah.

Thankfully there were no casualties, apart from my undercrackers. So after coming to a rest, I took a few moments to gather myself then got out and started to examine the car. Everything looked fine, then I got round to the rear passenger side wheel. There was clearly something broken. The wheel was angled inward, with metal filings and shavings littering the inside of the alloy. On closer inspection, there was also a mangled piece of metal sitting just behind the brake pad. My heart sank.

I made the dreaded phone call to Porsche Assistance and then sat for 90 minutes waiting for the AA to turn up. Luckily the weather was bob on, so I could at least top up on vitamin D.

To the AA's credit, when they did eventually show up, it was a flatbed truck. And the wait wasn't without it's lighter moments either.

A bloke passed me in a battered C2. He slowed, wound down his window and shouted 'You should have bought a Citroen mate', before pissing himself and driving off.

Then some old timer stopped, he was from a village just down the road. He asked me if I needed any help, and then offered to fetch me both food and drink. I politely declined, but he wasn't done. He spent the next twenty minutes regaling me with stories that mostly focused on how ineffective the local policing was.

And finally, some kindred spirit in a 991.2 GTS, with the reg plate 'GO II PUB', stopped to have a nosey. He tried to share my pain by telling me about the problems he'd had with a previous C4S. And he was positively nonplussed to hear my theory that the rear axle steering had gone, as that was an option on his GTS.

I eventually got home some six hours after the incident, and by that time I was thoroughly ***** off with the whole affair.

Tuesday morning came and sleep hadn't lightened my mood. I'd lost all confidence in the car, no matter what the problem turned out to be. So I sent an email to the OPC explaining as much, and rejecting the goods as not fit for purpose.

They came back to me quite swiftly, and apologised. By noon they had confirmed that a bolt had sheared off on the rear axle steering, resulting in a 'catastrophic failure'. They said it was the first time they had ever seen this happen on any car with rear axle steering.

There was no suggestion of a repair. They happily accepted full responsibility and confirmed they were making arrangements to refund me in full. They also agreed to refund me the costs of £712.28 incurred for tax, Insurance, private registration transfers and tracker subscription.

The full cost of the car was refunded to me on 30th August. However, the further costs have not been refunded to date.

I have delayed posting this tale of woe, as I wanted to give Leeds OPC a chance to do the right thing. But alas, car dealers don't seem to be able to help themselves. So now I'm playing email tennis with Simon, in which he's very responsive, like Roger Federer on centre court. But his insistence that the payments are being made, is somewhat negated by my bank balance being £700 or so lighter than it should be.

In light of their service, I've also requested they return the £1,000 deposit on my 'pre-order' for a Taycan. This was also agreed, but again, there's no sign of that money either.

It's suffice to say, I won't be nominating Simon and the gang at Leeds OPC for an Auto Trader Retailer of the Year award, or referring anyone to them for a new or used Porsche. I've given them seven days to pay up, or it'll be down the County Court route.

In regards to the car itself, after the nature of the failure, I'll probably never buy a used GT car again. The craziness of the GT market gives me absolutely no confidence. In this instance the previous owner had a free car for 18 months. There was little or no incentive for him to look after the car. For all I know, it may have been tracked within an inch of its life. And the failure may have been a result of the stress caused by an owner who knew he could abuse it for 18 months, then hand it back without losing a penny.

And I've no doubt Leeds will simply replace the broken parts and happily sell the car on. So, if you're in the market for a Crayon 991.2 GT3, ask about the rear axle steering!

So, yes, I'm upset. But that engine noise will live with me for a long time. And if all I ever get is 26 days with one of these machines, then I suppose that's something. Even if it currently feels like nothing.

Here's some pics of our final few hours together...............

OMG, what a double shocking experience !

Glad you're ok.

There have been issues with the 911 GT3 rear axle steering but never to that extent, but with age and time, that will certainly be something to watch out for.

WOW Graham, what a story !! It's certainly not the kind of tale you'd expect to hear from an enthusiast like yourself who loves his Porsche's...the main thing is you are OK and no damage to anyone else or property.

On the brighter side I'm glad you got a full refund of the car price with no quibbles (other details excepted).

Does this mean you are no longer a GT3 man? Maybe you should try a GT3 RS...

I was expecting the story to be that you had the traction control off and you'd gone into a slide, but a breakage like that is very unusual. Could it have been damaged by a knock to the wheel before you bought it?

Looking forward to hearing about your next purchase,

cheers
John

Porschekit said:
WOW Graham, what a story !! It's certainly not the kind of tale you'd expect to hear from an enthusiast like yourself who loves his Porsche's...the main thing is you are OK and no damage to anyone else or property.

On the brighter side I'm glad you got a full refund of the car price with no quibbles (other details excepted).

Does this mean you are no longer a GT3 man? Maybe you should try a GT3 RS...

I was expecting the story to be that you had the traction control off and you'd gone into a slide, but a breakage like that is very unusual. Could it have been damaged by a knock to the wheel before you bought it?

Looking forward to hearing about your next purchase,

cheers
John

Thanks John, I think the RS is a bit too much for me. I'll probably revisit the GT3 at some point I suspect, maybe a delivery mileage 992 in the not too distant future.

I have just ordered a Macan Turbo to cheer myself up, and that should arrive before the end of October.

And I'm still in love with the C4 GTS, although in the couple of drives I've been on since this happened, I've noticed I'm a bit more hesitant when cornering. I think my confidence in the RAS has been knocked a bit. It'll return though, I've no doubt.

:thumb:

Crap! Not good on a nearly new motor with such low miles. As not a known issue I suspect foul play and something missed on preparation :dont know: especially as they were so quick to refund? :dont know: Or am I over suspicious?? You've gone the safest route, and understand why you'd want to reject it, re getting other monies back, it's publicity the OPC or Porsche won't be wanting, I reckon you'll be getting compensation too, the fact you weren't injured is just pure luck only!

Gutted for you :nooo:

Hi Graham, such a shame to hear about what's happened to your car. I know that stretch of road and as you say it was just luck that there were no other motorists or bikers giving yahoo coming the other way.
I can't even begin to imagine the sh@t storm that would have caused if there had been an accident.
For a securing bolt to go on a major component such as rear suspension is mildly suspicious and hence the reason they were quick to take the car back, I know your a big Porsche fan so you'll soon be back and if it's in a Macan Turbo then you'll be in a good car again.
Hope to catch up again soon as we should be organising our annual end of year run out soon.

Not a great experience and I can see why you wanted to return the car. I think Leeds have done everything that you could have expected them to. The claim for 'opportunity cost' on the PX is a bit nitpicky IMO.

spongebob squarepants said:
Crap! Not good on a nearly new motor with such low miles. As not a known issue I suspect foul play and something missed on preparation :dont know: especially as they were so quick to refund? :dont know: Or am I over suspicious?? You've gone the safest route, and understand why you'd want to reject it, re getting other monies back, it's publicity the OPC or Porsche won't be wanting, I reckon you'll be getting compensation too, the fact you weren't injured is just pure luck only!

Gutted for you :nooo:

I was surprised by their response, as I expected them insisting on a repair. So, it's either to their credit that the refund was quickly offered, or maybe they realised the car wasn't prepared as it should have been? However, they did make special mention of how meticulous they are on the preparation of used vehicles.

One thing I probed them about when buying the car was what looked like new tyres, as it only had just over 2k miles on the clock. And I asked if it had been tracked by the previous owner. They were noncommittal on any track use, and my heart overruled my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back