Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lancaster Insurance - Warning

jimmy p

Montreal
I am having issues with Lancaster Insurance. I took a policy out with them about 6 weeks ago. When I phoned for a quote they seemed professional and offered a reasonable price on the policy. I was asked if I wanted Legal protection to which I replied no. I was originally quoted another 30 quid for it but as it was a limited miles policy I really wasn't bothered about it. I was then told they could do a deal on my policy and they could discount the legal protection so that it wasn't costing any extra and therefore appeared foc. I agreed to that and took out policy.
Move forward 6 weeks and I swopped my car. I called Lancaster to swop my Insurance over to my new vehicle, a 2007 57 plate Boxster. They stated the change over would be an additional £500+ for the change. I said that that was far too much as I could get a brand new policy for less than £400. I asked for them to cancel my policy which was only £175 for the year (on a eunos roadster) I was shocked to be told that despite only having the policy for 6 weeks I would have to pay a £70 arrangement fee, a £29 cancellation fee and wait for it, £29.95 for the (free) legal protection.
So despite having already paid just over £40 of the original £175 premium, to cancel I would effectively have to pay up the same as the cost of the whole policy.
They stated that I would still have to pay for the legal protection as it was discounted when I took the policy out and should I cancel the policy I would then have to pay for it in full.
I have spent almost 2hrs in total so far with Lancaster Insurance disputing this as I have told them I wont pay the Legal protection charge as I never wanted it in the first place.

I raised a complaint with them over this charge 9 days ago.
So far the complaints team, who I was told are "very busy" (wonder why) haven't had chance to listen to the original phone calls when I took the policy out which will clearly show I did not ask for the protection.

Meanwhile I am still paying the direct debit payments for this policy as they wont cancel this until the complaints team have looked at it.

Looking on google about Lancaster Insurance this is a very common theme and have extremely poor feedback. They make it impossible for you to swop your Insurance over onto a new vehicle by giving you an inflated price then when you are forced to cancel they make up fees so that you end up paying for your old policy anyway.

Not a good experience and they have lost me as a future customer forever along with everyone else that seems to ever want to change their vehicle.
A very short sighted business operation imo.

Beware!!

If you paid by card do a charge back and let the card co
chase it with them for you.

TurboRob said:
Standard Operating Procedure for all car insurers in my experience

I appreciate they have you over a barrel with their 'terms and conditions' and begrudgingly will have to pay the ott arrangement fee and cancellation fee, its the scam over the legal protection which has really got my goat.
Will be interesting to see if the complaints team ever do listen to the phone calls or get back to me.

I didn't pay on a card as I just set up a direct debit for it.

Update....

Lancaster payments team started sending me text messages this week, one on Monday and one this morning. Asking me to call them.

Why they couldn't actually phone me up themselves again to me shows poor customer service.

I phoned them as I wanted to see what they wanted me for (to pay their high cancellation charges) and to give them one last chance at using some common sense to come to a resolution.

I spoke to someone who listened to me and could understand what I was saying about the legal protection but stated it would still need to be paid.

As they didn't seem to want to try and find a solution I thought I better try, I said I would happily pay now and settle the rediculously high cancellation fees if they would remove the £30 legal protection (which is what I had said on both previous phone calls) as I was totally fed up with them by now. He went away to speak to a manager. The outcome was whilst they could not remove the legal protection however they were prepared to reduce the cancellation charges by 20% therefore taking £24 of the £30 legal protection off. I settled at this.

So what has it cost??

My premium (including *free* legal protection was £175 for a year, for a limited mileage policy on a eunos roadster.

I paid £61 in direct debit payments.

I had the Insurance policy for 6 weeks.

I have then had to pay £98 to cancel policy after the 20% discount.

So total cost was £159 for 6 weeks when the yearly premium was £175.

Make your own mind up on how I feel about Lancaster Insurance!

The main issue here so far as I can see is that they have a policy of charging unreasonable transfer fees to effectively force a customer to either accept that or pay proportionately unfair cancellation fees.

I don't think the FCA would look to kindly on that policy if it was to be proved as it would appear that they are artificially providing cheap Insurance on the basis that a percentage will be forced into a position of paying additional fees.

It may not help you case but I would, out of principle do the following, even if its just to build a track record of complaints about them to help other complaints in the future .....

- complain to the fincancial ombudsman

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact-us/complain-online

I would make the complaint not about your individual case but a concern about their business model ie cost to transfer Insurance v cost of ending a policy being excessive.
https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact-us/complain-online

Lancaster Insurance Services is a trading name of Insurance Factory Limited. Insurance Factory Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (No. 306164). Registered in England and Wales number 02982445

- complain to your credit card provider (if you paid any part of the payment by credit card. Nb it is always worth paying even an initial payment on credit card even if further payments are direct debit as you are then covered for the whole service. Your may not get any joy from this but in principle merchant service providers are very nervous of any service which is an advance payment especially where that service is then not provided in full. They can take surprising stances and just refund your money if the service provider cannot prove they have acted properly (I am often on the other when not at fault and have to prove why I am right). Again may not help you but a track record of 'chargeback claims" raises their risk profile with the merchant service providers which affects both their rates and security provisions (Howe much funds the card provider retains as security).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back