Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Skill .

:grin: :thumb:

Top-Tip Iain, the Snap-on easy outs are very good, many of the others are best left alone due to their chocolate tendancies :thumb:

In 35 years of engineering, I reckon I`ve managed that once Iain :grin:

Bane of my life is snapping taps in jobs. Now that is a F***er!! :frustrated:

OMG .. a snapped tap is bad .. very bad .. i hate this sort of thing , always feels me with dread and i'm sure every other mech out there .

Snapped tap .. hardened steel ? how the hell do you drill that out in situ .

To me .. this is engineering work and they are the experts .. Alex .. :worship:

I even bought a set of left hand drills for the next time .. doubt they will work but i need options .

I have colleagues that seem to have no problems but for me .. i'm just not good enough and i don't care admitting it !

This is an art .. give me electrics any day lol .

Snap-on do make excellent tools . not cheap though .

But .. to achieve that once in a lifetime drill out as the picture shows .. that's got to be better than sex :floor:

I have just bought a few left handed drill bits for my Stomski exhaust jig. I'll be trying it in anger when they arrive.

MC

I've given up with easy outs, I usually weld a nut on the end of the sheared stud/bolt, the advantage of that is, it also puts heat into the stud/bolt.

Breaking taps......and removing looks something like this. A local place I use charge me around £20 to erode the tap out. That's cheap but by the time I've taken the job up there and collected then next day or so I'm around £70 out of pocket.

Sometimes it's just cheaper to make a new part. :nooo:

Looking at the pics of the extracted studs that Iain posted, it seems there is not much corrosion evident and that the threads look very clean which is far from the rusted crud I worked with for much of the time spent in the garage..I have managed at least once to use an easy out, but would lack confidence if faced with that which folk here have shared relative to removing exhaust manifolds from Porsche engines on the water cooled cars... ouch!

This vid might help, I have posted it before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfkCj3FWBs

I once snapped an easy out while trying to extract a broken exhaust stud from a bike cylinder head - took me about 3 days to drill the b***ard out.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back