Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2000 986

dt4

Spa-Francorchamps
My first Porsche was a Boxster S and a cracking car, I was sad to see it go but my Leeds to Manchester daily commute forced my hand

Since then my work location has shifted back to Leeds and i was able to afford the 996, a couple of weeks ago the 914 I imported from California landed and yesterday the mrs took collection of a 986 we picked up at an auction at the weekend

Attachments

• 20190822_200608_112.jpg
    20190822_200608_112.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,579
I am pretty sure I would not have been brave enough to buy a 986 at auction ....... I hope it is a good car that doesn't need much work ...... good luck ...... :) :thumb:

To be honest I was pretty worried
The auction was at Mathewsons and we had called in the week before to look at a couple of 944's that were going in the auction.
The coupe was very poor and the cab over priced IMO
We looked at a couple of SLK's as she has a soft spot for them but the 986 wasn't at the show room at the time so didn't look at it.

On the auction day we looked at the SLK's again, they were OK but not better than you can find yourself with a bit of effort and had a look around a couple of XK8's, a coupe had a poor rear quarter repair and the cab looked nice but I know nothing about them so decided to steer clear.

I had a quick look round the Boxster as we passed and all looked OK, tidy inside and out, no evidence of oil or coolant leaks, good tyres, service history good and well documented but at £5 - 5.25K felt its reserve was a bit on the steep side.

Once in the auction there were a few cars not making reserve and the high bid was taken as provisional and referred to the vendor.

The 986 came up on the screen and was a long way off reserve, the Mrs looked at me and said "I'm having it at that money" and stuck the catalogue in the air. One Boxster bought, all be it provisionally.

We went outside and had a proper look and although we started it up, they wouldn't drop the roof in case it wouldn't go back up!
All seemed well so we waited to hear from the vendor and went to the pub for a pint and ponder.

I have to say the Mrs was pretty calm and said if the vendor accepts the provisional then great, if not no big deal.
Having not driven the car, I was less bullish!!

The call came through, a deal was done on the proviso that there weren't any undisclosed engine, roof or damage

We went back on Wednesday, drove it round the village, paid for it and brought it home.
It is a lovely drive, better than my S which had a notchy second gear when cold.
It will look great once clay barred and machine polished, the wheels would benefit from a refurb but she will probably buy a decent set off ebay as they are as cheap as a refurb and the rear bumper would be better for a respray as would the door mirrors.

The Mrs said she was really worried that it would turn out to have problems but didn't want to say anything.

Ah well, he who dares Rodney......

Nice one, with a decent service history and no obvious signs of pending issues you've probably got a great sports car at not a great deal of outlay. Picked my 2004 S up early 2018 for a few £k more than you've paid, dealt with the usual maintenance suspects, spending a few more £k, but I still think it's quite a bargain for the sports car you end up with. Sounds like you've got plenty of leeway yet on anything yours needs doing and can take your time too :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccosh
Back