Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 992 4S issues

arniev

After reading this forum for a while I thought I'd post about a couple of issues I'm having with my 992 Cab 4S.

There is a really irritating noise when you accelerate. It's a like a ticking, whirring noise which is really irritating. I was wondering if it was a faulty injector or something similar. I've got the car booked in with West London on the 10th of September (6 week wait for the appointment) for a recall and for them to have a look but I know how difficult it can be with "strange noises" from the engine bay.

I wondered if it might be something that settles with a bit more mileage but was a bit surprised they don't offer a running in check or something similar.

Also the wind noise once you get to 65-70mph is frankly ridiculous.

That doesn't sound too good, not saying that the engine has an issue, but I test drove a 4S coupe and didn't feel the engine noise was annoying at all. The wind noise is disappointing too, compared to a coupe it will let more external sound in of course, but in my experience of having a 997 Cab and a week-long use of a 991 cab (which was much quieter) wind noise wasn't a big problem, being able to hear other traffic or heavy rain were the main differences. In fact in the 991 tyre noise was more intrusive than the hood, easy to forget it was a cab and would have thought the 992 has taken that further still. I would get them to give an opinion on that while it's in.

MJA911 said:
That doesn't sound too good, not saying that the engine has an issue, but I test drove a 4S coupe and didn't feel the engine noise was annoying at all. The wind noise is disappointing too, compared to a coupe it will let more external sound in of course, but in my experience of having a 997 Cab and a week-long use of a 991 cab (which was much quieter) wind noise wasn't a big problem, being able to hear other traffic or heavy rain were the main differences. In fact in the 991 tyre noise was more intrusive than the hood, easy to forget it was a cab and would have thought the 992 has taken that further still. I would get them to give an opinion on that while it's in.

That is the plan. I'll see what they come back with.

I had a 991.2 Targa which had no wind noise (roof up) for 18 months. It then developed the wind noise and Porsche Brooklands sorted it out. 12 months later the noise came back and they said it was a feature of the Targa cars and they couldn't fix it.

arniev said:
MJA911 said:

That is the plan. I'll see what they come back with.

I had a 991.2 Targa which had no wind noise (roof up) for 18 months. It then developed the wind noise and Porsche Brooklands sorted it out. 12 months later the noise came back and they said it was a feature of the Targa cars and they couldn't fix it.
Even with the roof up, the Targa suffers from inevitable excess wind noise?

That doesn't sound right.

Update

So the car is with West London Porsche.
Went for a spin with the mechanic and basically the strange noise is the fuel pump. His explanation is the system is under such high pressure when you put load on the engine. The new fuel pumps make this noise apparently, which is annoying.

Yet to hear anything back about the roof yet.

Further update; roof noise is not the roof but the drivers side wing mirror. At 70mph+ it creates the noise. Apparently similar issues with the Cayenne at some stage.

All in all a bit annoying, would have thought these niggles would have come out in testing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back