Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Typical, book a trackday in the Boxster then blow the bolts

kurlykris

Singapore
On the cat to exhaust flange on bank 1 :sad:

Does anyone know if the cat studs on the flange are pressed in or welded on the 987S :?:

I`ve managed to rescue one, the easiest to get to, but the other 2 are sheared off, so I`m hoping I can come up with a cunning plan to press the remnants out without having to take the Manifold/Cat off and open another can of worms with the manifold bolts :nooo:

The original studs are a spline shaft press fit stud .

You need heat to get them out and plenty of it .. oxy acet is what we use , burn off what's left of the nut .. chisel a bit if needed then heat the flange and hammer / punch and knock out the bolts .

You can in theory just beat the crap out of the bolts to remove them .. chances of killing a lambda sensor due to the shock vibration from this method is high .

welcome to chat on the phone if needed .. just say and ll pm my number .

All 3 nuts were completely missing deMort, so all that is left of 2 of them is about 2mm poking out of the Cat flange, the other one I have managed to get a nut and a couple of washers on to hold it for now ( in case I need to get it to a garage ).
The cat flange is only about 3mm thick so there can`t be that much resistance if I can apply some pressure with a clamp of some description and push the stud back out the way they went in, hopefully :?

Every time I book a trackday something like this happens :frustrated:

I have until 5th September to get it sorted though :grin:

Kris, you're an engineer for Christ sake!
I'm sure you can make someone fix it for you :grin:

Chief said:
Kris, you're an engineer for Christ sake!
I'm sure you can make someone fix it for you :grin:

I don`t want to disturb the manifold this close to Mallory Park mate, so am trying to come up with a plan to sort it in situ, even if it`s just temporary.

Looking at it I can probably drill them out with some very long series drills if needs be, even if it just weakens the studs enough to wreck them out completely and then pop some stainless nuts and bolts in :eek:

First off .. don't touch the manifold .. better an Indy sorts this than that !

It's about 2 hrs labor for someone like me to replace both sides .

The studs need a lot of heating .. cherry red to knock them out .

drilling .. a bit difficult , you would need to get a straight line to do this .. i doubt you can on the rear bolt .

my suggestion .. indy or hire an oxy/acet bottle if that can be done .

I can get a drill onto the bottom stud Iain, but I need a long series drill which I can get tomorrow, 4 and 8mm diameters, the inner one will be more awkward I think :sad:

Ok .. if you happy with that , it's not something i've ever done as heat always does the job .. some are tighter than others but a rule of thumb is if the nut is not there then it's easier .

Try .. if your going to drill then perhaps from the engine side .. i do occasionally sand off what's left of the head that side .. heat and knock them out upwards .

G2 said:
Hope it gets sorted Kris :thumb:

It`ll get sorted matey, one way or another :grin:

Are you doing Mallory park on the 5th Sept :?:

What I did with mine many moons ago was cut into the stud/flange with a slot (cat and manifold) and now I use a stainless bolt and nut, no more worries about snapping studs off and now mega easy to assemble/disassemble/line-up.

Unsure if you are able to get a grinder in to do this.

Unfortunately there is a return on the Cat flange outer edge to give stength to it, I reackon I could get in with a Dremmel with a flexi-drive at a push, but it would take a while to grind the stud head/shoulder away.

I`ll get them out one way or another, I`m not panicking yet and to be fair I`d rather spend a few hours and buy some new tools than take it to a garage at this point.

I blew the other side about 18 months ago if I remember correctly and the local garage managed to tease the manifold bolts out, bar one, but couldn`t remove the knackered manifold bolt so just left it missing.

I think after Mallory it`s time for a Stomski jig weekend and replace all the exhaust bolts and fixings from the heads back :grin:

infrasilver said:
Sorry for the crude diagram but this is something like what I did.

Can you get a hacksaw in to relieve the pressure of the stud then knock it out and fit a bolt?

No chance of getting a hacksaw in there Mate, the flange is right behind the rear shock :sad:

I`m going to try and weaken, then press the remains of the studs out, there is only about 3mm of spline engagement in the flange, so a reasonable clamp/press should do the job with a bit of jiggery pokery :D

kurlykris said:
G2 said:
Hope it gets sorted Kris :thumb:

It`ll get sorted matey, one way or another :grin:

Are you doing Mallory park on the 5th Sept :?:

No. I've been badly organised this year :frustrated: enjoy.

I will be at the WEC @Silverstone in a few weeks.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatandywhite
Back