Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How To Trickle Charge The Battery .

deMort

Monaco
Ok so this may be obvious and everyone knows it but i'm posting for anyone that searches in the future ..

If you connect any charger to the battery direct you bypass the battery management system .. in other words it won't know the state of charge for the battery .. a lot of it is calculated by the car with power in / out being measured .

If you have a CTEK and its not wired this way then go back to your garage .. the Earth MUST be on the body and NOT on the neg lead of the battery .

Picture is a little out of focus .. sorry ..

Neg lead is over the brake servo and onto the metal tab .. it has a picture next to it basically saying .. USE ME !

Attachments

• p8020022_201.jpg
    p8020022_201.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 6,698
Thanks buddy! :thumb:

Is it safe to use the cigarette lighter adaptor in the centre console?

Also, my ctek charger has the option of charging an AGM battery. Do you know if it is necessary to only use it in this mode? Many thanks.

I'm pretty sure the center cig socket is only live for 30 mins till it shuts down .. smokers pack .. passenger footwell sockets are live as far as i'm aware .

The usual charging method is on the points shown in the picture or a Ctek lead fitted correctly so you can plug in and charge with the car locked ... lead exits n/s/r of the bonnet ... or can be left under the bonnet if required ...

Either way .. connect to the points mentioned and not to the battery direct .

ref AGM ..

You can use your regular battery charger on AGM or gel cell batteries. ... These batteries like to be charged slow and low. Many AGM/gel cell battery chargers have microprocessors that collect information from the battery and adjust the current and voltage accordingly.

yup i googled that part to be sure ..

i don't know everything !

Interesting and currently I connect my CTEK MXS5.0 as mentioned, live to battery and negative to bolt/body.
I bought what is labelled as a comfort charger which has connections which are for the live & negative ON the battery... Will this bypass the battery management system?

Edit: Just noticed this is in the 991 section, mine is a 993!

C.

deMort said:
ref AGM ..

You can use your regular battery charger on AGM or gel cell batteries

You missed out the next word from that quote, which was 'false'. It wasn't recommending it.

I stick to using the AGM settings on my CTEK. There is a slight difference in charging voltage and it seems to fully charge on AGM mode and stops short without.

Magic919 said:
deMort said:
ref AGM ..

You can use your regular battery charger on AGM or gel cell batteries

You missed out the next word from that quote, which was 'false'. It wasn't recommending it.

I stick to using the AGM settings on my CTEK. There is a slight difference in charging voltage and it seems to fully charge on AGM mode and stops short without.

As i said ... i DON'T know everything so googled it ..

Just trying my best to answer a question .. as usual .

Great post. There is much confusion over trickle charging, thanks for posting. I use a CTEK via the cigarette lighter, I think you are correct in that it turns off after a set time, except it seems when it detects a charger? I say that because mine correctly charges when I leave the CTEK plugged in.

Hope that helps.

Tom

I posted as i still see cars come in at work with the CTEK leads attached to the battery terminals.

Picture shows where they should be for short term if using crocodile clips , long term and fit the neg lead connection to the bodywork .

Cig lighter is interesting .. i've not been able to find much info on it .. hell if it works though it works and will charge the car after 30 mins that i thought it shut down at.

Either way i think we can say the battery or the center cig lighter socket works for trickle charging .. topic answered i feel :)

Thank you Tom .

findtom said:
Great post. There is much confusion over trickle charging, thanks for posting. I use a CTEK via the cigarette lighter, I think you are correct in that it turns off after a set time, except it seems when it detects a charger? I say that because mine correctly charges when I leave the CTEK plugged in.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Likewise, I have found the same via the centre armrest power socket. I've noticed that you need to plug it in and turn it on within a set time otherwise it won't work. I'm not sure what the time period is and I can't remember what the CTEK displayed to indicate it wasn't charging, but it was obvious. A quick lock and unlock and the system reset. Mine is a MY2016 car.

Is this for all cars of all years? I had my Cayman on batt terminals over the winter and into June. Never appeared to have any problems. The central locking system still turned itself off too, if that's a measure of battery monitoring?

The cigarette socket in the footwell of my 991.1 stays on for the duration. I know this because my CTEK Porsche-branded charger shows green when it is correctly connected and charging (full or maintenance trickle) and it is always green when I come to use the car. I hope I am right about this !

I think that's what they call the smokers pack and yup they are said to be live from what i have read.

The center socket was the one i didn't know about but it seems that it stays live when a charger is connected.

Marty .. your car doesn't have the battery monitoring system so on the battery leads was fine .. this is for 991 / 981 and onwards .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccosh
Back