Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche fined €535m over diesel scandal (May 2019)

Porsche News

From May 2019, but wasn't reported in any of the Motoring Press, so we're just catching up.

Porsche fined €535m by German prosecutors over diesel scandal. Car maker wrapped up in cheating episode as a unit of Volkswagen group

Porsche has been fined €535m by public prosecutors in Stuttgart for 'negligent violations of supervisory duties" which allowed the diesel scandal to occur. The fines include €4 million for 'negligent breach of duty' by Porsche, with the remaining €531 million levied against the profits of the company.

The German carmaker, a unit of Volkswagen Group, was wrapped up in the decade-long cheating episode exposed by US regulators in 2015 because some of its cars used engines made by sister brands Audi and VW.

Although Porsche chose not to fight the legal proceedings, the company did note that it had 'never developed and produced diesel engines" in a published statement.

The Porsche models implicated in the dieselgate scandal used Audi-sourced V6 turbocharged diesel engine, shared with other Volkswagen Group vehicles.

Last year, Porsche confirmed that it had ditched the idea of diesel-powered cars and SUVs for good. CEO Oliver Blume noted that the company now wanted its 'future to be diesel-free."

'According to the investigation results of the public prosecutor's office in Stuttgart, there have been negligent violations of supervisory duties in a department of the development department several levels below the board in the exhaust gas-related testing of vehicles on their regulatory compliance," the carmaker said.

Last year VW Group was fined €1bn by public prosecutors in Braunschweig, near its Wolfsburg headquarters, for its criminal role in the scandal, in which 10.7m cars were equipped with software that cheated tests and emitted up to 40 times the permitted level of nitrogen oxide in the real world.

Porsche said VW had already increased its provision to cover the fine. Last week VW said total provisions now exceed €30bn.

Porsche said it would not file an appeal against the penalty notice for negligent breach of duty. Its acceptance brings to an end the prosecutors' lawsuit against Porsche.

Attachments

• diesel_scandal_175.jpg
    diesel_scandal_175.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,831
Yep that factory "shutdown" and no production last year was all for "retooling".....Porsche got away lightly in the bad publicity stakes but was at it like everyone else......the real penalty was the imposed new emissions criteria and the time it took to comply, stopping production in its tracks across the whole VAG group......lost sales will have cost them a lot more than the fines (I pulled x3 audi company cars due to none delivery and bought BMW's as an example)

About 10 years ago I read an article in car magazine about BMW investing a billion euros into their advanced engine plants re emissions, their cars diesels were ahead of the game & the rest were playing catch up for the period or lying about their emissions, it now seems.

The governments have now got the perfect argument to batter the motorist on climate change they can call it what they want & will tax all motorist till they force the combustion engine out & or make sure we all run around in hair dryers.

I am going to burn as much fossil fuel as I can whilst I am still on this planet, its a load of bollocks. :bandit:

Hamster75 said:
I am going to burn as much fossil fuel as I can whilst I am still on this planet, its a load of bollocks. :bandit:

:agree:

:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back