Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How much soot is too much ???

Milo72

Spa-Francorchamps
I have noticed spot on both left and right pipes. It's not really bad but on the bottom lip I noticed it between washes (maybe 300 miles) I've not noticed it before but had been washing weekly and not doing as many miles.

I have put a litre of oil in since my last service which was about 3/4k miles ago.

Paranoia or should I be looking to trade in a kidney.

PS - I vote scored it when I bought it at 54k (now 60k) and there was light marks there but nothing serious.

If both sides are the same i would ignore it and carry on.

MC

Similar to mine is now, and mine had an engine rebuild due to bore score last year. So I wouldn't worry about it.

How is the oil consumption? Mine did this when the AOS was on its way out..... Oil consumption suddenly went down to a litre/400 or so miles from 1200, changed the AOS (twice! faulty part new from Porsche!) and now it's ok again. It did smoke on startup a bit at first because the oil gets into places it shouldn't and then gradually works its way out as smoke, but could well be your AOS.....

If it helps I have the same car on 65k miles and i've not had to top it up between oil changes (every 6k miles or so), I'm not sure if a litre in 5-6k is a problem though?

Try using Esso Synergy fuel. Mine definitely seems cleaner with this than Optimax.

Robert SausageTrousers said:
If it helps I have the same car on 65k miles and i've not had to top it up between oil changes (every 6k miles or so), I'm not sure if a litre in 5-6k is a problem though?

Really??????

Porsche says 600 miles per litre is fine. yes. 600. Mine does 1300 odd per litre, but then it gets driven properly :)

Madness really that Porsche say its ok to use a Litre of oil in 600 miles that's terrible if you think about it,
I understand its to do with the Boxter sideways engine & oil running down into the cylinders when shut off, but very poor, any other car & you would say its knackered.

On my previous 997.2 it wasn't too bad but did use some, it seemed to use more on short trips & especially during summer hot weather.
Then less when the weather turned cold, can only put that down to viscosity & heat ?

resigner said:
Robert SausageTrousers said:

Really??????

Porsche says 600 miles per litre is fine. yes. 600. Mine does 1300 odd per litre, but then it gets driven properly :)

I have been lucky enough to own nearly 20 Porsches over the years, only one of which has used oil heavily. It was an early 997s and getting through a litre every 800 miles. Porsche said it was within tolerance. I said bollocks. It turned out I was right - complete new engine replaced under warranty due to bore scoring a few thousand miles later.

Please bear in mind .. what porsche say is acceptable oil usage was introduced when they had to repair these under warranty .. can't really comment further .

What they say is correct !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back