Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dead speedo needle

Croydon

Hockenheim
My car was collected today by local boys for new eibach kit. All went well but the guy said that when he took the car the Speedo needle was dead and just stuck in its natural pre ignition point. I drove the car up the road last night on its return and in to my garage and the needle indeed didn't move.

Car had been on trickle charge and in the garage for the previous 6 weeks and prior that I'd had a perfectly working Speedo.

As ever thanks in advance

Ian

Not a proper solution by any means, but when driving, try giving the glass on the speedo face a tap.

Mine has done this in below zero temperatures, and a tap has always sprung the needle into life. Though tt's not happened often enough to really troubleshoot or replicate. On two occasions, I wanted to see what would happen without the tap... and both times as the vehicle speed reached above 20mph, the needle jumped right up to the expected position with no issues thereafter... :dont know:

When I had my 964 Targa my speedo stopped working as well as the rear spoiler stopped going up. The problem was a sender which works the speedo and in turn the spoiler. Not sure if its the same on the 993 but perhaps worth a check.

ATB :)

Mine had same issue. Tap worked for a while. Eventually it stopped, as did odo, and would not restart, so got it fixed. Nylon thread/teeth wear out. Happens to us all, in the end.

Tobesetc said:
Mine had same issue. Tap worked for a while. Eventually it stopped, as did odo, and would not restart, so got it fixed. Nylon thread/teeth wear out. Happens to us all, in the end.

Who did you use to do that may I ask?

I would start with checking the instrument fuse in the fusebox.

Sometimes the instrument connector pins corrode and causes intermittent contact. It could be a good idea to extract the instrument, and pull the two connectors off and on 2-3 times. This can remove corrosion. Be careful to not use 5-56 or similar oils back there, use good electronics cleaner and do not let it drip into the instrument housing.

Cheers,
Tore

Me again ., thought it had sorted itself but appears it hasn't. Will explore fuses then removal of gage before sending off.

Ian

I'm amazed you haven't had a load of 'You see! They don't like being not used" comments, from all the high mileage guys. :grin:

Tobesetc said:

Annoyingly, this has started again and it's not long been fixed! But it's away for an facelift so not going to be dealt with for a while!

hi, could someone confirm what fuse is associated with the speedo? is it fuse no 15 and its 5 amp?

next phase, popping the gauge out to disconnect/reconnect power clean connections etc.. easy job?

I'm really hoping that's it job done and I don't have to send the thing off but we will see.

Experiencing a bit of a double whammy, no speedo and a terrible heater fan noises which is another proper pain in the arse job. some aspects of the cars design is ridiculous!

as ever thanks in advance gang

Ian

C'mon team!?!

ok did a bit more research and its a 7.5 amp fuse and its no 18.

Purchased electrical contact cleaner so ill pop the dial and unplug, clean and see how that goes.

Also been pointed in the direction of .. ABS ECU and Speedo sender cable as possible causes.

Ian

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back