Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 faults and dash cam fitment.

deMort

Monaco
One of the biggest issues on the gen 1 has been the vacuum valves .. about 8 in total depending on spec ..

They have a single vacuum feed so that if one fails and loses vacuum then they all fail due to NO vacuum .

The only message you tend to get is a cooling failure on the cluster to alert you to a fault .

Best test is a smoke machine connected to the pipe o/s/r bottom part of the engine and at the rear that side .

Soon find the issue that way and it's always a pipe disconnected or one of these electric valves that has failed ..

Grommets in front of the rear wheels in the sill and behind the front wheels in the sill can block , they are under the under trays . remove and clean .

991 and all interior panels have a safety feature .. in the event of a crash they are designed to not come loose and fly around the cabin .

What this means is that if you want to fit something as simple as a dash cam then it becomes a headache .. special tools are often required .

Dash cam fitment front and rear ..

A , B and C pillar trims need removing

A pillar trim .. pull it outwards from the top then lift upwards .. tricky to refit .

B pillar and a special tool is needed . you have to bend the rear tab forwards , pull out the seat belt trim at the front only , you cant remove it only loosen it to gain access .. a bent screwdriver behind the rear fixing and it will pull out .

C pillar trim .. it pulls out .. basically directly away from the body .. you need to pull out the rear screen trim first .. again it pulls out straight from the body .

You cant remove it due to the safety fixing but loose is enough .

Wiring can now be run under the headlining .. obviously drop the sunvisor and interior lights .

There is no easy place to get an ignition feed nor a permanent feed .. you need to look n/s/f and lift the carpet .. power dist, board is there .. the 6mm black wire is an ign feed you can use and the red 6mm only wire is a permanent feed .. most of these shut down after a while so a camera on record whilst locked will not work hence the 6mm red wire .

I've seen a few vario cam high lift solenoids fail .. these can be either just an eml or running like a sack .

Fault code check .. you may just get misfires listed or if lucky an actual code for a solenoid failure .

As with any fault there's no guarantee it's the actual item listed that's at fault ..

A high lift solenoid failure .. when you remove it oil will leak out .. if you remove a good unit then it wont .. a basic check if you like and something i discovered whilst fixing these .

Just a couple of issues as let's face it these are coming into the Indy / owners fixing these by now ... i've had a few years on them already as i was OPC so worked on them then .. now i'm seeing more and more at Indy lvl .

Some info anyways As its a quiet night and i was bored :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back