Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wet passenger floor on 981 BGTS

albany123

Hi everyone,

Have discovered a huge amount of water puddled under passenger seat (towards rear) after a series of seemingly random error faults started appearing, starting with Start-Stop and including Power Steering, Type Pressure, Transmission etc etc.

Have eventually towel and sponged all of water out after pulling back the trim. Probably a couple of pints worth! Leaving to air overnight.

I am struggling to find any information on drainage hole locations that might be blocked. The car is parked outside and often near trees, I have owned it from new for 3.5 years.

I did also read something about a grommet recall on the tray for some 981s. Mine is a 2016 vintage so might have been for earlier models.

I also read about door seals as a potential culprit.

Also what electrics are in this area? Is the ECU near? I see the wiring loom heading off forward somewhere but can't see where due to seat brackets.

Car drives normally, but parking sensors are not working and the type pressure error message is appearing. Car had 2 year service last year at Brooklands.

Any ideas / suggestions much appreciated! (I am just out of the 3 year warranty of course)

Wish I could help there but I can only compare to my old 996 experience of the door seal problems that I used to have. Afaik this was a common problem and related to drainage holes. I never did get it fixed just put up with it and let it dry out. As the doors were part carpet, it seemed to soak up the lower portion at the base of the door but never bucketloads.

Your problem sounds a bit more severe if you are getting the amount of water that you say you are. This is really random but could it be a roof problem that would only happen in extreme conditions, I,e. Driving rain in the wind in the wrong direction. Reason I say this is that my conservatory at home has never leaked but yesterday in a very heavy thunderstorm it found its way in. It has rained since and nothing! So I deduce a combination of wind and rain might have been the culprit.

As for electrics, I don't have a clue but I'm certain somebody will be along soon with a hive of info on that one.

Keep us all updated as I have the same car and atm it's living outdoors so I'm gonna get paranoid now.

Good luck with it and don't let it get the better of you, you'll soon sort it 👍

The drain hole under the flap that holds the hood when it is down may be blocked. I believe the underseat ECU controls the security systems.

Ideally you need to remove the seat and lift the carpet to dry out the insulation underneath (this took a full week with our VW up). You might be lucky just drying out the ECU but the systems are so complex you need someone who knows what they are dong to reset everything.

Not good news, sorry.

Thanks for the replies. Here's what I've done so far

- Removed passenger seat completely and inspected area. Soaking wet, foam part of the seat is super-saturated. Removing seat is relatively easy, 4 bolts, the 2 front ones hidden by some cover plates, easy to detach electrical connections.

- Disconnected battery before taking the seat out. No alarm issues or anything like that.

- Then removed ECU which is under the passenger seat, lots of the connections were moist (yikes). Dried it all off, and reattached. Everything working. Not sure what this ECU controls exactly, looks like only light water damage.

- Keeping the seat off until dries a bit more.

- Reconnected ECU, my parking sensor problem cleared up and I re-set the TPM and those are now working. However, I now have an airbag light on the dash, but thankfully nothing else.

- Still can't figure out where the water ingress came from. Checked drains at the front hood, 2 by the windscreen gullies, 2 small ones nearer the front lights. Checked the ones in the roof mechanism; bizarrely the one on the driver side - where there is no water in the footwell - does not drain well and actually over-flows, passenger side drains out to the floor reasonably well. Put some compressed air down pretty much everything in the hope of clearing junk out but access and direction very hard to control.

- The drains by the roof seem to consist of a small reservoir that flows into an flexi-accordian type tube, can't see where it goes sadly. Can't believe a drain problem on the driver side could impact the passenger side while leaver driver-side completely dry. Note seat belts on both sides completely dry and unaffected.

If anyone knows how to get that airbag light off that would be great!

I'll update if I make any further progress!

Do 981s have the same door membrane issues as the 986? May be worth a check.

May sound mad but from experience on 2 golfs, have you checked the AC pipes? ie the water drain from the AC?

The airbag light stayed on when we reconnected everything having had the seat out of our VW Up. The garage has to run a safety check on the system and reset it. They did it Foc and it only takes a few minutes with the correct gizmo.

The ecu ( DME ) is fitted in the boot .. rear control unit and park assist i believe are under the passenger seat .. some other control units under the drivers seat .

Rear Cu is security related .

The car needs to be on a ramp or at least jacked up pretty damn high .. you need to remove the undertrays .. there are x4 grommets in basically the sill area .. just behind front wheels and just in front of rear wheels .. these need removing and checking .

Rule of thumb .. a wet control unit is a dead one .. they usually when dry still cause issues .

the recall was for these grommets blocking due to wax oil at the factory contaminating them .

I'm afraid i have no pictures of this .. it's on my to do list when i get one in .

You are better off trying a trumpet cleaner to clear the drainage holes. 3 years under a tree these are the likely culprit

jonttt said:
You are better off trying a trumpet cleaner to clear the drainage holes. 3 years under a tree these are the likely culprit

I thought you're issue was when you knocked over your Old Spice :dont know:

DeMort likely points to the issue that needs to be implicated/eliminated

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back